There needs to be a set criteria for UFC judges

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by gspfedkobe24, Aug 9, 2015.

1. gspfedkobe24

gspfedkobe24 Black Belt

There is way too many funny decisions. There needs to be a set scoring system heck with the technology these days the judges should be forced to record everything they see into a tablet type device. Then the device should add up all points awarded by judge and come up with the decision. Just crazy how many fighters get robbed of money basically.

2. It shouldn't be that fcken hard to sit in a booth and score a fight properly. Why pro judges needs all this techno bullshit to do their job is beyond me. Just observe.

3. Luke Rockhard

Luke Rockhard Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

How many professional fights have you guys judged in person cage side for an athletic commission?

4. WhitebeltXL

WhitebeltXL Black Belt

it's hard to comprehend how they can get it so wrong sometimes. But we've been saying it for years and nothing changes.

5. M.V.C.

M.V.C. Gold Belt

UFC doesn't have judges. And based on your history here you wouldn't be better.

6. awymore

awymore Brown Belt

I would get rid of the round by round scoring and just make a decision at the end of the fight as to which fighter would win if the fight continued. If fighter A wins the first two rounds and then is almost finished in the final round, fighter B should win in my opinion.

7. Sp@cePeanut

[email protected] Brown Belt

MJ lost. With perfect judging he would have shared a draw. He was very tentative and it cost him.

Yes, judging could improve for sure, but all fighters are dealing with the same judges and they know the deal going in.

8. Degen Gambler

Degen Gambler Silver Belt

Then guys might just play pattycake until the last few minutes and then go for broke.

9. phil the void

phil the void Don't make me get my belt

They should show the judges score after each round.

10. Luke Rockhard

totally agree. Same with other sports as well. If the last period ends, but the losing team does really really good the last period, they should be rewarded the win regardless of the final score.

11. Luke Rockhard

yeah. and that wouldn't cause fighters to stall/coast even more when they know they're up 2 rounds to nothing. It'd be the Kalib Starnes show in the majority of 3rd rounds if they knew the score.

12. gspfedkobe24

gspfedkobe24 Black Belt

You are way to logical for sherdog...Killin us here

13. Degen Gambler

Degen Gambler Silver Belt

Fighter A is up 20-18 after round 2. In round 3 Fighter B fouls fighter A (eye poke or nut shot). Fighter A knows he is up on the cards and that if he says he can't continue that he will automatically win so he tells the ref he can't continue the fight (when in reality he could) just so he can guarantee the win then and there without taking the risk of finishing the fight.

14. phil the void

phil the void Don't make me get my belt

Well, in addition, I would also stipulate that the only way to win a decision would be by at least 30-27 majority. That would mean a 29-28 fight is ruled a draw. This is a radical idea that would probably never happen.

15. Ragnarocker

Ragnarocker Banned Banned

I think the announcers should have a set criteria. Their calls clearly influence how fans see the fights and that's why they get so pissed when it differs from the judges' call.

16. Pwent

Pwent Guest

then fighters will see they won the first two and then just coast the 3rd.

thats basically what happened in dariush vs johnson, except johnson was wrong and didnt have both rounds locked. this system punishes fighters for just trying to survive round 3 like johnson did

i for one am glad, that its not like soccer where someone gets a lead then just stalls and pretends they were fouled to run the clock down

17. SchlomoS

SchlomoS Purple Belt

judging has exponentially gotten better in recent years, i believe they overhauled the judging criteria and rules a couple years ago and since then we haven't seen near the amount of horrible decisions.

The recent decisions in retrospect are not that bad. I thought Beneil won against MJ and I thought Holbrook won against Nijem, and people are acting like these are close to Garcia level robberies.

judging will never please everyone. is the guy fighting on the outside using his jab and leg kicks to keep his opponent at bay controlling the octagon? or is the guy pressing forward trying to hit the body and head with punches controlling the octagon? It's completely subjective. But we've seen how mma judging has now included the possibility for counter strikers (Dariush) and aggressive submission fighters off their back (Holbrook) can now be favored by the judges. That's a very good leap forward since the days where pushing forward and and being on top always got the nod.

18. Roop Holstry

Roop Holstry Red Belt

For starters the commission should hire judges with IQ's that stand at least a hair above the line of mental retardation.

Then they should hire judges who have a better tension span than a 7 year old ADHD child.

19. phatron

phatron Black Belt

There is a very detailed set of scoring instructions.

It just doesn't get used correctly.

20. lifelessheap

lifelessheap Gold Belt

They shouldn't be cage side. I shouldn't have a better view of the fight when I am in my home thousands of miles away.

I mean, why do fans watching at home have a better view and perspective of the fight?