There may be hope for UFC in Brazil after all!

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by BiasedRogan, Jul 30, 2015.

1. BiasedRogan

BiasedRogan Yellow Belt

[YT]nF_k88sxJpE[/YT]

It's really refreshing to see some of the Brazilians finally drop that cringeworthy ultra nationalism/xenophobia where it's like: "hurr I'll only root/cheer for people that are Brazilian and go dead silent when they lose". Clearly, there are still some xeno's in the bunch who instead of saying something like "I like Bethe's style better" just play the Brazil card.

In contrast, that UFC Chicago crowd really revamped the whole patriotism with the loud USA chants going on all night. I wonder if we're starting to see a changing of the guard where Brazil is up there with Japan on the respectfulness scale. They just need to drop that dumb "you will die" chant though!

2. UL

UL no more yellows

That kid hugging her was staged

3. CannotWin

CannotWin Brown Belt

Nice to see the Brazillian fans of Ronda. If I wasn't stuck at office I would have gone there myself.

4. Jblizzle

Jblizzle Red Belt

They only found one guy cheering for Bethe? sheesh lol

5. Nobru

Nobru Green Belt

before saying these things you should learn the facts, but its not your fault not to know them, so im teaching you.

we brazilians simply love fighting/martial arts in general. its in our blood. and yes we root for our fighters, of course, but never to the point of xenophobia. I have no idea where you took this from.

i have been to most UFC events in Rio, and I can list MANY fights where BR fighters lost and their opponent got a lot of applause. For instance, Davis x Caldeirao, sub via a great anaconda choke. Everybody was cheering for Caldeirao, but that beautiful choke was worth of an applause, which happened soundly. And then we also applauded Caldeirao for that.

Have you ever seen anybody talking about AS, or Aldo, as american killers or something? they beat several americans in a row, but nope, we dont say that.

look at weidman after beating 3 (great fighters, but old). "Im the brazilian killer!"

This 'xenophobia' does not exist by our part. We love fighting, period.

6. jamiehunter

jamiehunter Brown Belt

Two guys. Although one of those guys said he's rooting for Bethe but thinks Ronda will win.

7. Estudante

Estudante Brown Belt

I'm not sure of that man

8. NatoHoro

NatoHoro Purple Belt

[​IMG]

9. Fatal Catro

Fatal Catro Red Belt

Americans can be quite awful as well.
    See Chael Sonnen and his fans.

10. DaveHilly

DaveHilly Black Belt

I think that there will always be a place for nationalism in sport. It fills the void of knowledge for new fans. It tells them who to cheer for.

The "you will die" thing is pretty hardcore but I think it's like a tradition down there. Kinda like "Lou-ing" at luongo. It would sound strange to anyone who's not familiar with it.

11. BiasedRogan

BiasedRogan Yellow Belt

You're part of the problem if you don't think there is blatant xenophobia at UFC events in Brazil. Chants of "you will die" to foreign fighters are literally deafening at Brazilian UFC events. Moreover, you say you can list MANY fights, but you only listed one and in that fight they cheered for the Brazilian the whole fight. Know why? Cuz he's Brazilian.

Every rational person knows that there are way more fights where they act in a distasteful manner: laser pointer at UFC 134, booing guy's like Mendes after gutsy performances, going dead silent for guys like Hendo, OSP, Arlovski, etc who came to put on a show for you fairweather fans.

This is how a lot of the world outside of Brazil perceives how your native country's fans are acting. Own up to it.

12. Sano

Sano Black Belt

Some charming people in that video, good stuff.

13. BiasedRogan

BiasedRogan Yellow Belt

lol, just because something is a tradition doesn't mean it's right. That's like saying the Farra Du Boi is right where Oxen are released and chased around so they can be mutilated. It's tradition! Even in America there were horrible "traditions", it was traditional in boxing to not let Blacks ever challenge for the heavyweight title in the 1900s, it was traditional in baseball before Jackie Robinson to never let them play with white dudes...

Get real dude.

14. DaveHilly

DaveHilly Black Belt

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for it. I would compare it more to the US' continued use of the southern flag than to racism in sports because it's a hurtful tradition but, because it's a tradition, it's not taken at face value as it should be.

15. Bartinho

Bartinho Brown Belt

It's not Xeno you jackass, brazil is among the most diverse places on earth, they love their teams/peeps/identity. Brazilians and European soccer clubs have the same zeal when they face rivals from the next town over. Grow up. BTW RRR wins rd 1.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  16. BiasedRogan

BiasedRogan Yellow Belt

If they actually loved them they'd chant "Aldo!" or "Brazil". Instead they chant "you will die". So by assessing their own conduct, it's not about them loving Brazil, which is fine, it's about hating everyone else, which is not.

Canada is also among the most diverse places on earth, go look at the respect given to Machida and Shogun at UFC 113 you might learn something!

17. Fox by the Sea

Fox by the Sea Lighthouse keeper Platinum Member

nice, thanks ts.

18. MMun

MMun Black Belt

Stop acting like a chant is a big deal. It's not.

19. BiasedRogan

BiasedRogan Yellow Belt

I guess to bigots it isn't. I hold all country's to the same high standards that are applied to North America. If US fans did something like that everyone would shit on it. Once again, it's another person condoning xenophobia. Bravo!

20. Nobru

Nobru Green Belt

ok, second chance.

Chants of 'you will die' are metaphorical, right? No one will enter the cage and kill the guy. The idea is to put pressure on the other fighter. Thats a CHANT. Same chants happen in soccer matchs and other sports, between rival crowds. All Brazilian, by the way. If this scares you, watch it on mute.

I listed only one fight where a brazilian LOST to an american and the crowd APPLAUDED the american. Not the other way around. There have been many, if you want a list, let me know.

And yes, we cheer for our fighters, like everybody does. You are from Canada. Have you ever cheered against GSP? I am sorry dont I remember other examples of Canadian champions you could have cheered against, but maybe thats just my memory.