1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

There IS a set order on judging criteria.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by GrantB13, Feb 9, 2020.

1. GrantB13 Red Belt

I think some of us here forget this. I think some of the judges forget this. Effective striking and grappling are the dominant factor. There was very little grappling so that's not a factor. Reyes had the striking advantage in almost every round in terms of quantity and damage. I would call "effective aggressiveness" as meaningful pushing of the pace and willingness to do damage. Piddly jabs and knee taps are not significant enough to be considered effective aggression in my opinion and Reyes landed the more shots with aggressive intentions. But if Reyes was ahead on effective striking then aggressiveness isn't taken into account when judging. This was a close fight and not a blowout so I think we could allow for aggressiveness.

Now the big one: control of the fighting area. This one is WAAAAY overplayed when it comes to determining a winner. I would say this is where a lot of the problems come from when judging matches. It is not to be considered unless striking is even and both fighters are trying to take it to each other evenly. It's called Plan C for a reason. Not plan A(c). Jones being in the center of the cage more does not mean he's the one winning.

I don't see how Jones won the second round. Maybe people judge each round in a chronological order where Reyes' hard strikes at the beginning of the round mean nothing because Jones might have landed some decent jabs later in the round. That's not how it works though but it seems that's what happens on occasion. Yet again Jones wins a decision that plenty of people thought he lost because he's barely doing enough while his opponent is landing more and/or harder shots.

TL;DR Reyes won.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  2. Ironnik94 Silver Belt

Fully agreed. It really is that simple in my opinion.

But despite the judges decision, Reyes has definitely proven to be legit as f*ck and put on a great performance.

3. Arrrrgh Black Belt

That's incorrect.

The new Unified Rules are not adopted in Texas.
    Under the old criteria there is no priority.

Source:
    https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/sports/sportsrules.htm#61111
    (d) Scoring Techniques.

(1) Using the 10-Point Must Scoring System, judges are required to determine a winner of a contest that ends after the scheduled number of rounds have been completed. Ten points must be awarded to the winner of each round and 9 points or less must be awarded to the loser, except for a rare even round, which is scored a 10-10.

(2) Judges must evaluate mixed martial arts techniques, such as effective striking, effective grappling, fighting area control, and effective aggressiveness/defense.