There in 2012 Jacare and Erick Silva rolled with Rickson Gracie

Renzo Machida

Carlson Gracie Lineage
@Orange
Reaction score

Has anyone ever talked about this training camp they did with Rickson?
I'm curious because there are many testimonials on the Rickson Gracie skills, but it would be interesting to know how Jacaré felt rolling with him...

Some quotes:

"Rickson earned his black belt in 1980, at the age of 18, and has never been tapped in competition. As a matter of fact, nobody has ever come forth claiming to have tapped him OUTSIDE of competition. To this day, there are testimonies of current jiu jitsu greats praising him. The most recent was Andre Galvao, who claimed Rickson had tapped him multiple times and he himself hadn't managed a single submission.

Other BJJ athletes who spare no hyperboles towards Rickson's skill on the mat are Demian Maia, Nino Schembri, Paulo Filho, Royce Gracie, and Ricardo Arona, to name a few."

http://flow-with-the-go.blogspot.com.br/2010/08/rickson-gracie-faq.html

FILHO
"Rolling with Rickson is like rolling with an 8 armed anaconda that can read your mind."

FABIO GURGEL

Interviewer: You said “one of my teachers.” Do you have another?

Gurgel: Yes, Rickson Gracie. I studied with him also in Brazil and have been coming to Los Angeles, off and on, for nearly eight years to take lessons.

Interviewer: That’s a long way to study with just one man.

Gurgel: (laughs) Rickson is more than just one man—he feels like 5 when you’re fighting him. You have to sacrifice, sometimes, to study with the best, and Rickson is the best. I feel lucky, really. In the entire history of the Gracie Family, there have been many wonderful fighters, but only four “great” champions: Helio, Carlson, Rolls, and Rickson. I’ve been (associated) with two of them. One directly (Rickson) and one thru Jacaré (Rolls).

Interviewer: What’s it like training with Rickson?

Traven: (breaking in, laughing) Very humbling.

Interviewer: What is the one thing you’ve learned most from wrestling Rickson?

Traven: (still laughing) How to tap out. I’m getting very good at it.

Gurgel: (laughing also) With Rickson you have to learn to tap many different ways since your arms are often not free: the nose tap, the ear tap, the elbow tap . . .

Traven: Don’t forget the eye tap—blink three times fast."

DAVE CAMARILLO

"Every so often a legend arises out of his/her sport and achieves what only some can dream. An individual stands alone in accomplishments and towers over all who came after them. This artist relinquishes all doubt by their simple word, backed by years of action through his art. Their eyes, with a brief glance, paint a picture of a story that will amaze even those who were previously unaware of their prestige. In boxing this artist is Muhammad Ali, in Futebol it is Pele, in chess it is Kasparov. Another name now shares the same precedence in their glory. His name Rickson Gracie, without question the best Jiu Jitsu fighter to ever live.
The amount of dedication this man has shown for the art of Jiu Jitsu is astonishing. He has contributed to not only the overall growth of the sport, but also the overall growth of martial arts in general. His long path to greatness, seemed a destiny, as he, never without confidence, displayed precision in his techniques and a determination to uphold the Gracie name rendered without omission.
Knowing of his greatness I was guaranteed an incredible experience at his academy. Training with Rickson is like trying to move a house. What he lacks in size he overwhelmingly compensates in technique and pressure. From the moment I engaged my guard, till the time I was tapping, I felt as if there was nothing I could have done to better my situation. His basic techniques nullified my game almost immediately. His control of my movement discouraged my game to the point of nullification. I attacked with a barrage of arm locks and triangles that fell short in his ability to dictate the training session.
The way Rickson dealt with my flexibility, by eliminating my movement was incredible. This inability to move was key in shutting down my game. Rickson is a savage! His abilities of control, pressure, and the understanding of your opponents` abilities and how to annihilate their attacks impressed me and brings questions to my understanding of Jiu Jitsu.
What was even more amazing than his outstanding display of technique, was his open attitude towards me being there. The feeling I felt as I entered his academy was of respect and openness. I felt welcome in a somewhat foreign place. It was soon after my arrival that I experienced a sense of relaxation and was able to train at ease.
All who have ever benefited from the art of Jiu Jitsu owe homage to such a man. For he has created, beyond the extents of great Jiu Jitsu, a system that anyone can participate in. He has devoted his whole life to his art and those students that show the respect and consideration for each other in their search for security in self-defense.
So to all the non-believers, I can only try to persuade you to eliminate all doubt and open your mind to Rickson Gracie. His teachings are like his will, without determent. His face is full of passion and honor, his strength resides in his character, and his name transcends beyond all who make feeble attempts at attacking a Jiu Jitsu Legend."

RIckson Gracie x Rigan Machado:

OBS: Rigan claims a record of 265-2 on BBJ where the only two losses were 2x Rickson.

Rickson Rolling:

Good read. Also cool to read about so many names in BJJ giving him props.

Rickson almost seems like an urban legend at this point in MMA history, it's hard to believe such a man exists.

My BJJ coach Jeff Gordon in MD lived with the Gracie's and trained in Brazil for many years, he said he once witness a black belt seminar where Rickson rolled with and submitted well over 30 Black belts...back to back. They tapped and he shook their hand and was like.....next.

He never stops talking about this story and apparently Rickson in his Prime was godlike in jiujitsu

My BJJ coach Jeff Gordon in MD lived with the Gracie's and trained in Brazil for many years, he said he once witness a black belt seminar where Rickson rolled with and submitted well over 30 Black belts...back to back. They tapped and he shook their hand and was like.....next.

He never stops talking about this story and apparently Rickson in his Prime was godlike in jiujitsu

Thanks for the story, bro!

Rickson claim he's like 1000-0 in fights in diferente fight styles. But he's only officially fought some japanese cans, it's really hard to judge. He did finish almost all of them on round 1.
He was moat certainly good, but hard to believe he's the demigod people claiming he is when he wasn't interested in fighting actually good fighters at the time.

I love the way BJJ was when guys like Rickson were in their prime. It was all about a real fight. So many BJJ guys, even black belts, have no clue how to deal with punches anymore. It's sad.

Thanks TS, is there any translation of what Jacare and Erik said in the video?

Rickson claim he's like 1000-0 in fights in diferente fight styles. But he's only officially fought some japanese cans, it's really hard to judge. He did finish almost all of them on round 1.
He was moat certainly good, but hard to believe he's the demigod people claiming he is when he wasn't interested in fighting actually good fighters at the time.

You are an idiot. His last fight was against Funaki, who most certainly wasn't a "can". Funaki beat guys like Bas Rutten, Ken Shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Semmy Schilt, etc. Rickson was something like 40 at the time while Funaki was around 30.

You are an idiot. His last fight was against Funaki, who most certainly wasn't a "can". Funaki beat guys like Bas Rutten, Ken Shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Semmy Schilt, etc. Rickson was something like 40 at the time while Funaki was around 30.

Yeah. Watch the movie Choke, intense. Rickson is the best of the Gracie fighters. Love to see him do Metamoris.

Yeah. Watch the movie Choke, intense. Rickson is the best of the Gracie fighters. Love to see him do Metamoris.

Doubt that would ever happen. He is 57 years old and his body is shot. Rickson himself said he is only about 10% of what he once was.

It's weird for sure. There's nothing official that really suggests he's as god-like as the legend tells. Some grainy challenge matches, some vale tudo fights against over matched opponents, and a strangling of Funaki is all well and good but nothing spectacular. But literally everyone who's trained with Rickson vouches for his unbelievable BJJ mastery. It's something you just gotta feel and experience for yourself.

As for his self-claimed 400-0 record in challenges/fights/competition, I'll call that bullshit for sure, as would Ron Tripp.

Erick Silva must've been about 12 at that time.

There is a great scene in Braveheart where all the soldiers are doubting the man before them is truly William Wallace. He finally confronts them and sarcastically says, "I know, I've heard the real William Wallace is 7 feet tall and can shoot fireballs out his ass."

But if it were Rickson he'd say, "Everything you heard is true, only Ive done even more than people say."

There is a great scene in Braveheart where all the soldiers are doubting the man before them is truly William Wallace. He finally confronts them and sarcastically says, "I know, I've heard the real William Wallace is 7 feet tall and can shoot fireballs out his ass."

But if it were Rickson he'd say, "Everything you heard is true, only Ive done even more than people say."

Greatest movie ever.

Ok, so it's one legit win.
Still, gotta make you wonder why he wasn't really in the real mma circuit. He claimed the problem was they wouldn't pay what he thought he was worth a few times. Perhaps it's true but a little suspect.

I don't doubt the guy is a beast in bjj. Perhaps the best ever. But he certainly did a good job of promoting himself as a martial arts legend.

y8cjq8.jpg

Back