There are plenty of great athletes in the UFC who prove that athleticism isn't everything in MMA

I disagree, it used to be like that in the Royce Gracie days, but now a guy with mediocre technique and a lot of cardio with a smothering gameplan can overcome a much more skilled fighter.

See Guida/Pettis.

One could argue that Guida's wrestling technique and skills are of a higher level than those of Pettis. Its not like Guide was able to do that to every other top fighter he faced.

I used to find it funny how "athletic" in American means "fast twitch west African". I was wondering if they were all like Rogan, just obsessed with the BBC and scary large black males.

Then I watched some NFL (and presumably it's the same in the NBA) and the commentators would just announce "playing today, the best athletes IN THE WORLD!" Or "the most athletic men ALIVE!" Just randomly in breaks in play.

Later they justify it by saying "most money means best athletes will go there", a ridiculous notion to any athlete who knows it's the sport that picks the player not the player that picks the sport but anyway, yes, they place a clear premium on athletic traits that are relevant to football and basketball and forget every activity has it's own, particular physical requirements.

I do think the MMA talent pool is so small that if the NFL did transfer to MMA that we would soon see many new fighters working their way up the ranks and succeeding. NBA less so, as the sport selects for height, hand eye coordination with balls and jumping ability, which is really only vaguely useful in MMA. (Some of the stronger individuals, like brown, would have success, with enough training).

Skill is more important anyway though. Conor and mayweather would not be pro in any sports other than fighting.

Americans thinks athleticsm = explosiveness.

Athleticsm is a combination of strength, agility, balance, coordination, ability to learn new moves quicker, body awareness, explosiveness, speed, natural born cardio etc...

Saw u mentioned Weidman, he is a super fine athlete with SUPER high level in most of those terms. And btw, just cuz mcgregor said he beats speed with timing doesnt mean he isnt fast, lol.. He has said on many occasions he is the fastest in the devision, it just happends to be his timing is ALSO on a far higher level..

Conor is the best athlete in 145/155 pound devision, maybe in the UFC. IF you count all those aspects of athleticism, WHICH you should if you are living in reality.

He is the best athlete FOR MMA 145 pound division. I.e his height, reach, muscle mass and general frame, reaction time, striking coordination, endurance capacity (size of heart and lungs) and chin are all elite at 145. Just like Jones at 205.

Back