"There’s no way possible to ready Khabib for Conor's striking" --- Javier Mendez

Great attitude by Javier, and bad news for Conor. Having a coach that doesn't underestimate the opponent, and isn't blind to his fighter's weaknesses, is way worse (for McGregor) than if Javier was convincing Khabib that he could outstrike Conor.
<{walkerwhut}>
shouldnt that be standard?

No K1 Khalabib is probably a good idea .

Welp, that's it. Might as well cancel the fight now.

McGOAT is the greatest ever!!!! Head clean off!!! 26 -1!

Am I doing it right, McFanboys? lmao

<mma4>
It's getting better.
Yet still room for improvement e.g., 'Champ Champ' can be added anywhere to your own liking in a sentence.
Same with Bless etc.

<RomeroSalute>

<{walkerwhut}>
shouldnt that be standard?
"Should" and "is" are two very different things. Coaches are very often blinded by their fighter's success, and many fighters actually WANT yes-men who massage their ego. And if that's what the fighter wants, and that fighter is making a lot of money, then it's likely that's what the coach will be -- a yes-man.

Mendes is approaching this with the right attitude. You have to respect and understand your opponents abilities if you want to have sustainable success at the top end of the sport. Hopefully Khabibs on the same page for his own sake.

013_Khabib_Nurmagomedov.0.0.jpg

Looks like they're going to spam TDs first 2 rounds, try to gas Conor & then strike

Interesting quote:

On Al Iaquinta performance:

On the fact that Jav can't control Khabib & JK can't control Conor

Full Podcast:

Khabib's striking is incredibly underrated. Especially Khabib's defensive guard.

IDKY people think it's a given that Conor KO a 100 kilo man who's been living at altitude most of his life. But 200 lbs men cutting 50 pounds to make LW cannot sustain consistent body attacks. Conor needs to go to the body early and often.​

Khabib's striking has gotten better, but I'd say it's overrated, not underrated. People seem to confuse good with effective on this forum. Just because it's effective, doesn't mean it's good. Khabib's effectiveness on the feet comes from his grappling skill, and that's what he should be thankful for. That is what he is good at.

I like everything even posts calling me a pos because I am a very mature and unbiased observer and I enjoy both sides of the argument. @Rubberneck76 seems like a very angry and biased person whose negativity prevents him from enjoying good popcorn.
Tbf you have admitted several times that you are a pos. Very mature? I would not give two fucks about most of your posts if i thought that was true. I rarely like your posts that make sense and shit, booo. I don't mind either of ya though. This place needs more negativity, more rage. Plus his av makes me happy. If it wasn't for the humor though I'd probably be in here alot less.

Tbf you have admitted several times that you are a pos. Very mature? I would not give two fucks about most of your posts if i thought that was true. I rarely like your posts that make sense and shit, booo. I don't mind either of ya though. This place needs more negativity, more rage. Plus his av makes me happy. If it wasn't for the humor though I'd probably be in here alot less.
I am one of the most mature and unbiased poster in the heavies

That's a good outlook. Sounds like they'll be game planning to their best ability. I rather see a fighter go in like that than "fall in love with his boxing" and get KO'd via ego trying to out do someone at their specialty.

I think you can prepare for dealing with and potentially exploiting Conor's stance, but it would be damn near possible to prepare for his hand speed and accuracy.
On the positive side (for us fight fans) Khabib is a grappler/wrestler through and through....like Kevin Lee when he got head kicked by Barboza...even if Khabib gets clobbered (and doesn't go out), I'm sure Khabib on autopilot defaulting to "panic wrestling" is still a big threat.

IDKY people think it's a given that Conor KO a 100 kilo man who's been living at altitude most of his life. But 200 lbs men cutting 50 pounds to make LW cannot sustain consistent body attacks. Conor needs to go to the body early and often.​

Woah hold up there hombre, 100 kilo? 200 lbs is 90 kilos, and Khabib walks at around 86 kilos according to his father.

yoel-romero-ufc.jpg

This guy walks around at 100 kilos. Almost everything in your post is wrong. Get your facts straight.

c
013_Khabib_Nurmagomedov.0.0.jpg

Looks like they're going to spam TDs first 2 rounds, try to gas Conor & then strike

Interesting quote:

On Al Iaquinta performance:

On the fact that Jav can't control Khabib & JK can't control Conor

Full Podcast:

Khabib's striking is incredibly underrated. Especially Khabib's defensive guard.

conor takes habib down in the first. conor takes habib down by touching him with the left.

Woah hold up there hombre, 100 kilo? 200 lbs is 90 kilos, and Khabib walks at around 86 kilos according to his father.

Khabib is only close to 190 lbs 44 days out from a fight:

There have been many threads on this: http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/holy-smokes-khabib-admits-weighing-242lbs.3680507/

This guy walks around at 100 kilos. Almost everything in your post is wrong. Get your facts straight.

Feel encouraged to correct it.

Khabib already said he wasn't going to stand with Conor.

Jav said:
“We’re the better grappler, he’s the better striker, but that doesn’t mean we won’t strike, it just means he’s better. It’s about who plays whose game.”

Khabib's striking has gotten better, but I'd say it's overrated, not underrated.

Who overrates Khabib's striking? I've only seen it being dismissed

Khabib's effectiveness on the feet comes from his grappling skill, and that's what he should be thankful for. That is what he is good at.

Khabib's top game tires out the best gas tanks and most of his striking success comes from the threat of his TDs. Agreed.

People seem to confuse good with effective on this forum. Just because it's effective, doesn't mean it's good.

Semantics. Good striking is effective striking. Ideal technique is a different conversation. If we're going to have that conversation, then we can point at Conor's lack of guard, lack of hands up, lack of proper exits etc.

FTR I didn't say Khabib's striking was good or effective, only underrated.

Every boxing forum on the planet has this "is good striking effective striking?" argument, especially about Deontay Wilder. Criticizing his techniques, sloppy shot selection, lack of fundamentals etc...

Meanwhile Wilder keeps KO'ing everyyone he steps in the ring with:

Last edited:
"Should" and "is" are two very different things. Coaches are very often blinded by their fighter's success, and many fighters actually WANT yes-men who massage their ego. And if that's what the fighter wants, and that fighter is making a lot of money, then it's likely that's what the coach will be -- a yes-man.

tl;dr there are unprofessional coaches

Khabib is only 86 kilos during Ramadan.

There have been many threads on this: http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/holy-smokes-khabib-admits-weighing-242lbs.3680507/

Feel encouraged to correct it.

Khabib's top game tires out the best gas tanks and most of his striking success comes from the threat of his TDs. Agreed.

Semantics. Good striking is effective striking. Ideal technique is a different conversation. If we're going to have that conversation, then we can point at Conor's lack of guard, lack of hands up, lack of proper exits etc.

Every boxing forum on the planet has this "is good striking effective striking?" argument, especially about Deontay Wilder. Criticizing his techniques, sloppy shot selection, lack of fundamentals etc...

wilder is fast and hits like a fucking f-150 truck

Khabib needs to go for the td while big john is going over the rules at the centre of the cage. If he doesnt, he is getting ktfo

I've seen both quite evenly.

Good striking is effective striking, but effective striking doesn't mean it's good striking.

Good striking also doesn't just come from technique. It comes a variety of things, such as athleticism or most importantly IQ. Wilder may not technically be the best, but he is going up against the best IN BOXING and beating them because of his physical attributes. That makes him one of the best.

If you put Khabib in striking matches against MMA fighters he's faced, he would be embarrassed. That's the reality of it. You can't say his striking is good, because it's his grappling that is good.

It would be like saying if I held a gun to someone's head and forced them to let me punch them I have good striking....it's just not true.

Back