Theory on why Hendricks v Lawler 3 is happening?

Any "theory" on Zuffa's motivation that doesn't start with $$$$$ is bunk

My theory does start with $$$$$. I'm just theorizing on why Zuffa would put together a rematch that no one is very interested in. My theory is that they aren't looking for a big payday from that fight, so much as they are looking to use that fight to set up a big payday. Something they do all the time, actually.

Diaz vs lawler would be awesome, much better than another Hendricks fight

But I would hate to see gsp and Hendricks again

I dont care of morons will buy tickets.

Diaz hasnt won a fight since 2011. 3 years. He has as many wins since the Penn fight as Penn has, he just fights less.

Rory is 6-1 since Diaz's last win. Gastelum is 8-0. Lombard wasnt even in the UFC yet, had time to go 2-2 at MW, drop a class, and go 3-0.

Rnady Couture had only been retired a couple months it was so long ago.

Yup. Just as long as you're not arguing against me, because I agree.

I want to see Rory get his shot. I think Hendricks needs to get in line. But that's not happening, so I'm speculating on a theory as to why.

Maybe the reason is that they dont want Rory being champion. That would remove any reason for GSP to comeback, at least at middleweight. GSP is not going to comeback and fight a few exhibition fights for money, he wants to be champion

Maybe the reason is that they dont want Rory being champion. That would remove any reason for GSP to comeback, at least at middleweight. GSP is not going to comeback and fight a few exhibition fights for money, he wants to be champion

Yeah... I think that's part of it, too. Goes along with the rest, though. Doesn't really counter anything I've put forth.

It's either to appease Reebok or someone high up like Dana, Lorenzo or Joe Silva thought the wrong guy won and want another rematch.

There's a possibility that Hendricks may have had a rematch clause in his contract or perhaps his contract is due soon and they don't want him going to Bellator.

It's all speculation but I would bet it's Reebok.

my theory is as follows... after the "hide your head" bullshit, where hendrix tried to become an even worse version of the previous champ in the division fighting to not loose, as opposed to fighting for the win, dana and company want to rematch so that johnny will be shelved away from the belt for some time. it is payback for making a mockery of the ww title. let lawler win one more time and then no more hendrix for while. done and done

my theory is as follows... after the "hide your head" bullshit, where hendrix tried to become an even worse version of the previous champ in the division fighting to not loose, as opposed to fighting for the win, dana and company want to rematch so that johnny will be shelved away from the belt for some time. it is payback for making a mockery of the ww title. let lawler win one more time and then no more hendrix for while. done and done

Keep him away from title shots by giving him and immediate title shot. Got it.

What happens if Hendricks knocks him out, which he is capable of. Does your theory account for that?

What were the PPV buy rates of Hendricks vs Lawler II? If they were higher than expected than that could be the reason for a third fight even though Pettis vs Melendez helped sell a lot of PPV's.

Hendricks and Lawler had two, close, competitive, entertaining fights. As opposed to Weidman and Anderson who had two odd fights.

The fans want new fights, not rematches. Unless there was a controversial decision or stoppage, immediate rematches are stupid.

You mean like the controversial decision in Lawler/Hendricks 2? Where the vast majority of people scored the fight for Hendricks, but we didn't hear much about it because people like Lawler?

Oh. Not that kind of controversial decision? Just the kind that go the way that upsets people? Cool...

The fans want new fights, not rematches. Unless there was a controversial decision or stoppage, immediate rematches are stupid.

I want fresh fights too but in this instance I am not against Hendricks Lawler III. Mainly due to both previous fights being close decisions which sparked a lot of debate. That said I hope for a more definitive outcome in the rubber match.

the reason is that nobody thought lawler won, but both fighters looked bad so no one really protested the odd judges' decision.

i think fans would be just as happy to watch gsp vs lawler as gsp vs hendricks.

Totally agree. I'd much rather see another top 10 guy get a shot at the title than a rematch, with the exception of controversy, as you say.

You are probably right. But in the end: It all comes down to $$ of course. That's all that matters to the UFC and to the matchmaking decisions. If they though Rory would get more views than Hendricks, then Rory would be fighting for the title.

You are probably right. But in the end: It all comes down to $$ of course. That's all that matters to the UFC and to the matchmaking decisions. If they though Rory would get more views than Hendricks, then Rory would be fighting for the title.

it would be funny the next time someone ask Dana who get the title shot he comes out with, "whoever I thinks will sell the most PPV's".

as long as diaz holds up for 2 rounds, he'll end up fighting for the title. my guess is that the ufc "promised" him something.

Back