Theory on why Hendricks v Lawler 3 is happening?

jeremyemilio

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Not many people want to see it; I think that's established. Even Zuffa must know this.

My theory is that the UFC is setting itself up for the possibility of one of two really big fights coming together:

GSP v Hendricks rematch

Lawler v Diaz rematch

Which, on the surface, seems like a bit of a dumb gamble. If Diaz loses (which is likely) the Lawler fight is a no go (assuming Lawler wins). And who knows if GSP is ever coming back, but the longer he's out the less the chances.

But the more I think about it, the more I think it's a good gamble for them moneywise (which is all that really matters to them). It's not like they're giving up some huge money fight in Rory v Lawler... so they're essentially playing the odds and trying not to let the potential (however slim) of a massive payday get away for little discernible gain.

Sucks for all of us, though. I wanna see the best fights now. I've little interest in hoping some mega fight comes to fruition. I've been around longe enough to know it's a long shot, and even then it's another long shot that it lives up to my expectations.

Because Dana doesn't listen to the fans and does the exact opposite

result: Hendricks vs Lawler III

100% because of the GSP rematch, which I'm sure Dana is counting on.

So they hope Hendricks wins. Then they set up Hendricks-GSP rematch for the belt and battle of two top 10 fighters coming off a loss in Lawler and Diaz.

Makes sense for the UFC, not for fans though. I'd absolutely love to see Lawler-Diaz II right now; Hendricks should earn the right for rematch just like Robbie did after their first fight.

That's not a huge match. It's worse than Lawler-Hendricks.

Your theory is debunked.

It's a huge match because in order for it to happen Diaz will need to beat Anderson and Lawler will need to remain champ.

Combine that with the fact that Diaz has KOd Lawler in the past, and you'd need to be a complete moron not to be able to promote the hell out of that fight.

If we are going to watch the champ avenge 10 year old losses, can we see Silva rematch Chonan? That is literally a more recent fight than Diaz-Lawler

The thing is GSP is not coming back untill Rory has had his title match. So if they want the rematch then it's just not happening any time soon.

If we are going to watch the champ avenge 10 year old losses, can we see Silva rematch Chonan? That is literally a more recent fight than Diaz-Lawler

I get it.

But proportionally, if Diaz beats Anderson, it becomes a big fight. Especially with the way Diaz will shit talk. The guy may not like to show up for media events... but he can sell wolf tickets with the best of them.

Not many people want to see it; I think that's established. Even Zuffa must know this.

My theory is that the UFC is setting itself up for the possibility of one of two really big fights coming together:

GSP v Hendricks rematch

Lawler v Diaz rematch

Which, on the surface, seems like a bit of a dumb gamble. If Diaz loses (which is likely) the Lawler fight is a no go (assuming Lawler wins). And who knows if GSP is ever coming back, but the longer he's out the less the chances.

But the more I think about it, the more I think it's a good gamble for them moneywise (which is all that really matters to them). It's not like they're giving up some huge money fight in Rory v Lawler... so they're essentially playing the odds and trying not to let the potential (however slim) of a massive payday get away for little discernible gain.

Sucks for all of us, though. I wanna see the best fights now. I've little interest in hoping some mega fight comes to fruition. I've been around longe enough to know it's a long shot, and even then it's another long shot that it lives up to my expectations.

The fans want new fights, not rematches. Unless there was a controversial decision or stoppage, immediate rematches are stupid.

It's a huge match because in order for it to happen Diaz will need to beat Anderson and Lawler will need to remain champ.

Combine that with the fact that Diaz has KOd Lawler in the past, and you'd need to be a complete moron not to be able to promote the hell out of that fight.

It's not huge because in order for it to happen Diza will need to lose to Anderson and Lawler lose to Hendericks.

Two losers fight = NO HUGE FIGHT

Lol. Hendricks wins and the winner of Lombard/Rory get shafted because GSP returns.

Any "theory" on Zuffa's motivation that doesn't start with $$$$$ is bunk

It's not huge because in order for it to happen Diza will need to lose to Anderson and Lawler lose to Hendericks. Two losers fight = NO HUGE FIGHT

Well, no, that's not what I'm suggesting. The fight doesn't even make sense if they both lose.

I'm talking an either/or scenario.

If Hendricks wins, the UFC would try to put together GSP v Hendricks II.

And if Diaz and Lawler win, the UFC would try to put together Diaz v Lawler II.

I get it.

But proportionally, if Diaz beats Anderson, it becomes a big fight. Especially with the way Diaz will shit talk. The guy may not like to show up for media events... but he can sell wolf tickets with the best of them.

I dont care of morons will buy tickets.

Diaz hasnt won a fight since 2011. 3 years. He has as many wins since the Penn fight as Penn has, he just fights less.

Rory is 6-1 since Diaz's last win. Gastelum is 8-0. Lombard wasnt even in the UFC yet, had time to go 2-2 at MW, drop a class, and go 3-0.

Rnady Couture had only been retired a couple months it was so long ago.

That would be so bad. Then is GSP wins the belt.. makes that division look like a joke

Yup. Not to mention Rory has explicitly said he wouldn't fight GSP. Regardless of money.

He could end up getting seriously fucked here.

Lol, for more rematches! ..I laughed.

Maybe, but I don't see it. Those fights would both be interesting though.

That's not a huge match. It's worse than Lawler-Hendricks.

Your theory is debunked.

a4e9cc5a55d45eba1c7ae3b548a8e7af21dc390acf797763d68c8be6884b6dd7.jpg

Back