Theoretical shoot for takedown but Uppercut...

gspin2k1

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
So I was just walking today and was thinking about things you could try in MMA...wondering how this would work out...So let's say I decided to shoot for a take down (or at least pretend to)...my opponent reacts and begins to sprawl...but instead of continuing for the takedown I uppercut the opponent to the chin...or hell even come up with an elbow to the chin. Or would this not work? I'm just trying to picture it how it would work, if it would work, possible counters.

~G

I don't even consider myself as having a good chin but that's happened to me before while training and I countered, grabbed the crown of his head and fed him some knees. There's a chance it'll work but I think you're assuming your uppercut is going to be some sort of Streetfighter knockout sensation...I just don't see it being that effective.

lol this happened to me in a fight on saturday, I was fighting san shou which ive never done before and the guy went for a takedown but instead of following through he stopped right before he grabbed me and then jabbed me in the face, it was ineffective I just laughed cause I was like wtf in my head. (I won lol)

Overhand right works much better, IMO.

weiirddd.. i thought of the exact same thing (like a fake takedown followed by a certain strike) yesterday night lol.

Arona set up strikes with takedowns and takedowns with strikes against Wanderlei in their first fight. Arone faked changing levels, Wandy would drop his hands to get underhooks, Arona popped back up with a left hook and shot in again and got the double.

As for the uppercut, I think it would be a better tool AGAINST double legs. Guys try to time knees to catch guys lowering levels, but if they don't land or hurt the guy significantly, they're more likely to get taken down since they are leaving a leg out. But with the uppercut, you still have both your legs under you so you can move or sprawl with less of a risk when throwing.

I'm actually talking a shoriyuken ala Ryu/Ken street fighter type move...just theoretically speaking it would work. I think some ppl are confused who's throwing uppercut..

ME: Going for single/double leg take down
Opponent: dropping hands about to sprawl
Me: Assuming i'm close enough..bring my level back up and uppercut..because assuming he's about to sprawl his hands are down, i'm close enough to uppercut, i should have strong base to come up with my legs with the upeprcut, and his chin is down as well.

Again this is my theoretical..kind of too afraid to try it in a sparring session..cus well.it could end really badly for me.

~G

I think the overhand right would work better as someone has already said.

And the point I was going to bring to the thread someone has just beat me too aswell saying that the uppercut would be a better defence against a double leg, Ive seen people who go for a shot get KO'ed by catching an uppercut on the way in!!

id be scared to eat a knee in the face, not worth the endangerment for the suprise imo

ive always thought of trying this...

just a solid uppercut followed by an overhand or straight left...

(imma southpaw)

So I was just walking today and was thinking about things you could try in MMA...wondering how this would work out...So let's say I decided to shoot for a take down (or at least pretend to)...my opponent reacts and begins to sprawl...but instead of continuing for the takedown I uppercut the opponent to the chin...or hell even come up with an elbow to the chin. Or would this not work? I'm just trying to picture it how it would work, if it would work, possible counters.

~G

seems like you have been playing too much teken/ watching too much manga...

This will not work, at least not with an uppercut anyway.

When you go for the shot you end up with all your weight on your lead leg, with your momentum carrying you forward, and your center of gravity way out in front. In order to get the uppercut, you would have to stop your momentum completely, transfer your weight to your rear leg, then throw the uppercut.

An overhand right however continues with the same momentum of the shot, and does not require any stopping or modifying of position.

This will not work, at least not with an uppercut anyway.

When you go for the shot you end up with all your weight on your lead leg, with your momentum carrying you forward, and your center of gravity way out in front. In order to get the uppercut, you would have to stop your momentum completely, transfer your weight to your rear leg, then throw the uppercut.

An overhand right however continues with the same momentum of the shot, and does not require any stopping or modifying of position.

ding ding i think we have a winner! (RE: the weight transfer explanation why this doesn't really work)

Now faking changing levels - that's another story

I believe Hendo successfully used the fake shoot/overhand right in Pride a few times. I think the guys are right saying an uppercut isnt the best strike to combine with the shot, cause you have all your momentum forward, so why not use it with a forward punch for max power, like the overhand right.

Are you people forgeting the best fake shoot-to-punch ever?? Randleman v. Crocop.... He never saw it coming because he dropped his hands emedatley to sprawl on randleman.

Tiger! Upper-cut! :D

but seriously its an interesting move, im thinking it might be hard to land if you are already committed to a take down and then have to change levels that quickly and get set for a meaningful uppercut

Overhand right works much better, IMO.

Shamrock v Gracie. The KO was after shamrock faked a double leg, so Gracie lowered his hands and his weight, and Shamrock came over the top with a OHR. He even expalined it in his post fight interview.

watch cc/randleman one... it's a hook not an uppercut, but you get the idea.

fakes are always good.

Huerta vs. Guida had one I believe, although it was more a hook and even though it didn't KO Huerta, it still rocked the shit out of him :D

Back