The Yard VS Valdez

EchoBoomer

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I'm going to start developing my striking and I, with out a doubt, want to study Muay Thai. However, I have two, apparently highly acclaimed, gyms in my immediate area and need guidance in making a decision. Now I know the obvious answer is try them both and choose the one you like, but my budget is super tight and I don't want to get stuck at a gym I don't like for a month.

So the choices are...

The Yard, in Downtown Los Angeles

or

Valdez Muay Thai/Kickboxing

Thank you, I appreciate your time.
- Rene

the yard owns, valdez is a little borderline mcdojo ey,they want your cash basically,we have a valdez here in bell flower CA.it's good training but too structured get you in and get you out type of vibe or so I've heard, the one in whitter is supposed to be the good valdez school, I was at the yard in 2007 and they trained every student like they were the only person in the gym learned so much, they also have nice equipment set up,If could still got to L.A I would,we used to watch k-1 tapes they had a TV and VCR set up on the side,fun place to hang out.

I actually think the yard got bigger after L.A boxing academy went out of business next door.

Thanks Bro,

I always had that feeling about Valdez, I walked in one day and it just had this vibe.

:icon_conf

The Yard on the other hand, has a GREAT atmosphere. It's in downtown, in a warehouse, serious dudes train there. Looks Great.

Thanks bro, I just needed someone else to say it.

Thanks Bro,

I always had that feeling about Valdez, I walked in one day and it just had this vibe.

:icon_conf

The Yard on the other hand, has a GREAT atmosphere. It's in downtown, in a warehouse, serious dudes train there. Looks Great.

Thanks bro, I just needed someone else to say it.

the first time I went to that warehouse it was a little weird felt like I was going the kumite it's location is semi clandestine I bet they get people based on word of mouth,I had a hard time finding it I drove 30 miles from long beach, Long beach schools are the complete opposite the are usually on big highly trafficked streets and are easy to find, when you're in the yard it's like you enter a MT world the only thing in that building is some factory downstairs and the gym up stairs.

my only gripe with the yard was that it got packed some times usually like on wednesdays but I think they solved that problem by adding more bags and I think the school is bigger now, I used to like having sparring sessions on Saturdays because only like 10 people showed up(this was in 2007 this might have changed because of the gym popularity) and it was like having private training mark and the thai trainer used to watch the sparring sessions closely at most gyms the head trainer will chil in their office and let the assistants do all the work,these dudes genuinely wanted to see people improve, used to get a ton of padwork,clinch work(Went home with a sore neck), they gave me technique tips on knees(mine used to suck before I learned the proper steering wheel technique from them),I also learned to kick faster from them, my old gym in long beach(LB khmer kickboxing) taught me to put power in my kicks(this was their specialty,brutal kicks), but the yard refined them by drill me on bring back my foot faster,I had a bad habit or leaving it hanging in mid air after a kick

Dude, The Yard is way better than Valdez. I've trained at both and I live in Whittier. At Valdez kickboxing, Valdez himself does not get involved much. It's other assistant instructors teaching the class and they're usually not knowledgable in showing you proper technique, ring tactics, and knee sparring. These guys, teaching the group classes, are only fighting in smokers or are amateurs at most. Valdez cares more about making money and this is shown by Valdez not teaching the group classes and you really only get his attention if you pay for private lessons. At The Yard, there are no set classes but an instructor will do a little one-on-one with you through padwork. You skip rope, shadow box, strike the bag and pads and do some sparring. At Valdez you'll get a good workout and, unless you have experience, you'll develop bad habits and not do knee sparring. There's no contract at The Yard and the head trainer Mark is a certified instructor. George Valdez is also certified but the ones running the group classes are not. If you want to learn Muay Thai go to another gym other than Team Valdez. Just look at the way they teach and who's teaching. A good combo would be to go to a boxing gym and a muay thai gym if you want to have good striking. In muay thai, you have more weapons, but generally speaking, boxers will have better hands. Even if you go to a good muay thai gym. Sometimes, a match is won with good hands. Yodsanklai seems to knock people out with his hands and not his kicks but he sets up hands with kicks and vice versa.

I went to the Yard couple times awhile ago...Mark and Lee are good instructors...they are really nice and will be patient while u learn the basics...

I'm looking for a new MT gym right now...can anyone tell me how Sityodtong LA ranks to The Yard?...

Last edited:
Is this thread even a question? Just look at my sig :icon_chee. Like the above posters said The Yard is $100 a month unlimited with no contracts. Mark Komuro, Lee Garcia and Joe Schilling(current WBC National Supermiddleweight Champion) are great instructors and give you one on one training time without having to pay extra. They aren't about making money like some of the other gyms. They pay attention to the individuals strengths and weaknesses and give you pointers accordingly. Then again my opinion is biased because i train at the Yard.

Back