The x factor against Volkanovski tonight...

Volk has been point fighting world class opponents his last 3 fights. This irritates @fortheo every time I say it (sorry friend ha) but in my estimation, he is one of the most skilled point fighters in the UFC fight now.

If he gets behind, he's going to score points as needed to win rounds and he's got extremely high fight IQ. Volk is good to great at everything, a very balanced fighter.

Ortega is unlikely to win on the cards in my opinion and his X factor is that freaky submission ability. He's a live dog but I don't think he can TKO Volk, but he can tap him and it could happen unexpectedly.

Volk UD but this should be really fun.

3rd X-factor = Ortega having another year to develop new gains in technique, strategy, & tactics as he enters his physical prime.

A lot of fighters haven't looked great post Covid. And Volk had a particularly severe case, coughing up blood and all. Even though he's healthy now, who knows how it mau have affected him long term.

Volk has been point fighting world class opponents his last 3 fights. This irritates @fortheo every time I say it (sorry friend ha) but in my estimation, he is one of the most skilled point fighters in the UFC fight now.

If he gets behind, he's going to score points as needed to win rounds and he's got extremely high fight IQ. Volk is good to great at everything, a very balanced fighter.

Ortega is unlikely to win on the cards in my opinion and his X factor is that freaky submission ability. He's a live dog but I don't think he can TKO Volk, but he can tap him and it could happen unexpectedly.

Volk UD but this should be really fun.

I don't have a problem with it. What I disagree with is people who attach a negative stigma to the term "point fighting". Any fight that goes to a decision, which is a lot, are scored on points, so to be a great point fighter is obviously a good thing in this sport. If you don't see a finish coming, then you may as well rack the points up because that's how you'll win a decision.

Anyways, I expect someone to get finished either way tonight. I think ortega either catches Volk with something tricky in the first two rounds, or Volk slowly builds until he's putting a pace and a clear beating on ortega in the championship rounds.

We'll see though. If Volk has to point fight, I won't hold it against him. It's on ortega to stop that or do it even better.

No issues with Volk but I am just pretty indifferent about him.

Rooting for Ortega here. I think Volk probably wins a UD though

I could totally see someone who had a bad Covid case having trouble with endurance in the 4th and 5th. I really, really hope that isn't the case with Volks.

Yeah definitely, not specially if he had Covid Pneumonia. If it was just the snuffles and isolation for X days thennof course he should be fine.

A lot of fighters haven't looked great post Covid. And Volk had a particularly severe case, coughing up blood and all. Even though he's healthy now, who knows how it mau have affected him long term.

Ortega is either a space head or fighting genius. I think it's the latter.

I don't have a problem with it. What I disagree with is people who attach a negative stigma to the term "point fighting". Any fight that goes to a decision, which is a lot, are scored on points, so to be a great point fighter is obviously a good thing in this sport. If you don't see a finish coming, then you may as well rack the points up because that's how you'll win a decision.

Absolutely, and with the way the nutty UFC pay structure is setup, let alone how title bookings are not necessarily merit based, there is a huge incentive to point fight.

I think its only notable regarding Volk because he took a measured approach once he got within striking distance of a title shot and stayed that way, contrasted with a much more aggressive style on the way up.

Anyways, I expect someone to get finished either way tonight. I think ortega either catches Volk with something tricky in the first two rounds, or Volk slowly builds until he's putting a pace and a clear beating on ortega in the championship rounds.

We'll see though. If Volk has to point fight, I won't hold it against him. It's on ortega to stop that or do it even better.

Ortega has shown an outstanding chin and he's improved quite a bit, I have a hard time seeing him get put away, or Volk taking the types of risks he needs to get there.

Ortega has a 'submissions chance' however stupid that sounds haha

Absolutely, and with the way the nutty UFC pay structure is setup, let alone how title bookings are not necessarily merit based, there is a huge incentive to point fight.

I think its only notable regarding Volk because he took a measured approach once he got within striking distance of a title shot and stayed that way, contrasted with a much more aggressive style on the way up.

Ortega has shown an outstanding chin and he's improved quite a bit, I have a hard time seeing him get put away, or Volk taking the types of risks he needs to get there.

Ortega has a 'submissions chance' however stupid that sounds haha

I think ortega's cardio and defense will fall apart the longer the fight goes. Even max was slowing down fighting at Volk's pace., but i honestly don't know. Ortega has only fought once in the past three years, so it's hard to predict.

I think ortega's cardio and defense will fall apart the longer the fight goes. Even max was slowing down fighting at Volk's pace., but i honestly don't know. Ortega has only fought once in the past three years, so it's hard to predict.

That is a very good point, both guys have had long layoffs due to circumstances. Ortega did look spectacular against KZ though.

A lot of folks don't realize what a solid grappler KZ, his MMA wrestling and submissions are very good, but there is a lot of risk in grappling Ortega, sooner or later he can grab something. Left to a kickboxing fight KZ was out matched by a really wide margin, so I feel OK saying Ortega used the time to get better.

No doubt Volk has the cardio edge. That dude is Frankie Edgar style gas tank.

I guess it's safe to say Volk's recovery from COVID was a successful one, eh?

Back