The Wrestling Factor - Jones' Gameplan?

krelianx

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
A somewhat disconcerting aspect of the first fight was how Jones basically didn't push for the wrestling offensive, even being taken down himself once. I think that wasn't expected.

Now, I think Jones knows that moving in against someone as fast and sharp as Gus is risky, and he doesn't have the same short, stocky build as DC to grind and dig under Gus's punches to close the distance.

With that said, I think nobody would disagree that Jones is the far superior wrestler, and in close quarters one would think he would have the advantage. If he can get top control, he could even submit Gus. Jones seems to have been focusing a lot on his hands, and that might pay off. But I think a more aggressive Gus will prove to be too much on the feet this time, though, so we will see if Jones can adjust...

Gus has really good defensive wrestling. Watch his fights vs dc and jones. Phil Davis lit a fire in his ass that changed his game.

A somewhat disconcerting aspect of the first fight was how Jones basically didn't push for the wrestling offensive, even being taken down himself once. I think that wasn't expected..

He literally tried to take Gustafsson down every round but was repeatedly thwarted.

A constant theme in Joe Rogan's commentary for that fight was how Jones couldn't take Gustafsson down.

After Jones got taken down he went for takedowns but couldnt get one till the 5th after Gus was gassed. Gus has really underrated wrestling but if anyone can secure takedowns on him it'll be Jones. Despite all the dissapointments I'm curious to see what Jon will bring to the fight

After Jones got taken down he went for takedowns but couldnt get one till the 5th after Gus was gassed. Gus has really underrated wrestling but if anyone can secure takedowns on him it'll be Jones. Despite all the dissapointments I'm curious to see what Jon will bring to the fight

I feel like Jones got desperate for takedowns because when Gustafsson took him down it really pissed of Jon's ego.

I feel like Jones got desperate for takedowns because when Gustafsson took him down it really pissed of Jon's ego.
Yeah you could tell he wanted it back cos he was really trying for it at the end of r1. The TD in r5 was great too. I think all the lateral movement made it much harder for Jones to get a real clear shot in and Gus has defending against the cage down really well.

If Jones is as physically capable as he was in the last fight (thinking about PED's) and if he is not mentally broken now or disinterested (evolving drug addiction) then I see him as being the one that can make the adjustments and do better than the last time.

Yeah you could tell he wanted it back cos he was really trying for it at the end of r1. The TD in r5 was great too. I think all the lateral movement made it much harder for Jones to get a real clear shot in and Gus has defending against the cage down really well.

Gus also did a good job and turning around and literally running away when Jones pressed.

Based on the above stats all Gus has to do is up his strike volume by 20% and he will probably win. Jones was rattled with his lower volume of strikes in the first fight.

He literally tried to take Gustafsson down every round but was repeatedly thwarted.

A constant theme in Joe Rogan's commentary for that fight was how Jones couldn't take Gustafsson down.
Yet Gus did nothing with them.joe over exaggerates everything like saying he got hit! When it didn't even land.

Based on the above stats all Gus has to do is up his strike volume by 20% and he will probably win. Jones was rattled with his lower volume of strikes in the first fight.
Also he eye poked Gus blatantly and was just using kicks and spinning elbows! Gus will take it via Jones out of prime

A somewhat disconcerting aspect of the first fight was how Jones basically didn't push for the wrestling offensive, even being taken down himself once. I think that wasn't expected.

Now, I think Jones knows that moving in against someone as fast and sharp as Gus is risky, and he doesn't have the same short, stocky build as DC to grind and dig under Gus's punches to close the distance.

With that said, I think nobody would disagree that Jones is the far superior wrestler, and in close quarters one would think he would have the advantage. If he can get top control, he could even submit Gus. Jones seems to have been focusing a lot on his hands, and that might pay off. But I think a more aggressive Gus will prove to be too much on the feet this time, though, so we will see if Jones can adjust...
It all depends on how juiced up jones is.
Without ped advantages jones might get lit up. He certainly wont come on strong in the 4th and 5th rounds.

Gus also did a good job and turning around and literally running away when Jones pressed.
Gotta do what ya gotta do. People shit on Conor for running too but I get why they do it lol

Back