The worst ref of 2015 is?

Herbal Dean was good back in the day but nowadays he's been either too fast or way too slow (trying to compensate? I hope not).

Mazz has always been consistently terrible. He seems still completely clueless about BJJ

There's also a 2015 sleeper: Mark Smith. I've seen him on the early prelims make some BS stoppages but I can't remember the exact bouts.

Herbal Dean was good back in the day but nowadays he's been either too fast or way too slow (trying to compensate? I hope not).

Mazz has always been consistently terrible. He seems still completely clueless about BJJ

There's also a 2015 sleeper: Mark Smith. I've seen him on the early prelims make some BS stoppages but I can't remember the exact bouts.

Yes - At a time when big John (who is arguably the best yet somewhat GG biased, which I like) couldn't get sanctioned in Vegas, there weren't many better than Herb. Inconsistency as of late has been poor, granted. Most of Herbs bad calls are split second decisions. I sooner that than a Mazza, Yves or Winslow pondering over what to do for 10 seconds (before making the wrong call anyway, or realizing someone's KTFO).

Unfortunately it's the bad calls we remember, and not the 100's of good ones. Such is life.

Kudos for bigging Herb up for what he's done. He's still top tier IMHO.

Shonie Wan Kenobe still holds the only double KO via mind trick. Great call BTW, Mazza would have just passed out.

double-ko.gif

Last edited:
I like Mike Beltran from what I remember.

Mazz's performance in the Shields Palhares fight was one of the worst of all time

But you can't judge the worst of the year in August.

Mazz is very close to the "Kim Winslow lifetime achievement of being terrible" award

Too early to give out the 2015 Worst Ref Awards, but Maz is the #1 contender.

mazzagatti wins this just based on the eye gouging fiasco.

warns him repeatedly, does nothing, stops the fight WHILE IN MOUNT, guy keeps fouling and no points taken. worst ref job in recent memory.

Herdy gets my vote, too. That was possibly the most bizarre bit of reffing ever.

Who was the pyscho that stared down Munoz as he got choked unconscious? Was it Jerrin Valel? That was shout-at-the-TV bad as well.

Leon Roberts is the best ref.

I don't know who's the worst

Roan%2BCarneiro%2BChokes%2BOut%2BMark%2BMunoz%2BUFC%2B184.gif

Jake%2BEllenberger%2BNorth-South%2BChokes%2BJosh%2BKoscheck%2BUFC%2B184.gif

Jerin Valel's work at UFC 184.

First one speaks for itself.

Second one isn't as bad but as a ref when you see a fighter turning purple and frothing at the mouth maybe you should stop it and not wait for the tap. Just a thought.

I'll admit I have littel respect for a lot of refs skills but for onesty's sake we all should aknowledge that calling mma is a tough tough task. So many variables, so manu nuances, such a fast pace and quick transitions...

They look bad, pretty much all of 'em but I dont think athletic commissions have better ones on the shelf.

It's just a tough job to be very good at,

Mazzagatti is way worse than Herb.

The Mendes stoppage was correct. What else has he messed up on? I do remember a few arguable ones being bandied around but can't think off the top of my head.

Herb is awful, I've said it for years, even when people were idolizing him.

Terrible ref.

Back