The Worm Guard (BJJ Scout)

If you thought about it more, you might see a parallel without taking it personally.

Some people don't have the imagination to recognise patterns - they can only think about the step in front of them at the moment, not project the past and future ones in their minds and compare and recognise the progression.

Definitely. I just hope people develop ways of countering these lapel feed positions, or the sport will become a race to sit down and entangle the gi for a sweep. Obviously, every technique can be countered, but since the lapel is a lever that isn't a limb, the lapel feed is more easily acquired than other strong grips, and breaking it is very difficult. Hopefully we will see new ways of passing that kill the utility of these grips (like Galv

Definitely. I just hope people develop ways of countering these lapel feed positions, or the sport will become a race to sit down and entangle the gi for a sweep. Obviously, every technique can be countered, but since the lapel is a lever that isn't a limb, the lapel feed is more easily acquired than other strong grips, and breaking it is very difficult. Hopefully we will see new ways of passing that kill the utility of these grips (like Galv

Makes me want to train no gi. As interesting as they may be, I hate these new lapel-based open guards. The sport didn't need another reason to avoid playing top.

I think they're kind of cool and interesting, but I'm not super excited about implementing them in my game. Will probably try it a few times just to get a feel of it. Definitely know what you mean though, although the top game is making a 'comeback' with people actually wanting to pass these days cause of Lo, Rodolfo etc

Reverse De La Worm Guard lol

I can't wait to play with this ish.

This is bullshit since it doesn't work against multiple, naked attackers armed wth semi-automatics upon a sea of lava and broken glass. Totally unrealistic.

I dont train in a gi at all, so I cant really envision the way it works.

Is the leg safe from leg locks? It looks like you are locking it right next to his armpit which seems dangerous but I assume there's some property of the lapel feed that means the opponent cant get any leverage here?

Inverted backwards reverse de la worm guard. Clearly a technique for the street.

Inverted backwards reverse de la worm guard. Clearly a technique for the street.
Well after he stabs you with the ever present broken glass, at least he wont be able to flee the scene with you tied to him...

... although he could use the glass to cut himself free i suppose...

If this gets to be too big a deal they'll just change the rules. Most likely antidotes will be found, this is how BJJ proceeds. I'm not a big fan mostly because this strategy essentially makes passing impossible which negates the core battle of BJJ (passer vs guarder), and you end up with matches like Rodolfo - Braulio from Metamoris. Frankly the best response from the top guy is probably to stall once the lapel starts getting looped through, and that's no fun for anyone.

I dont train in a gi at all, so I cant really envision the way it works.

Is the leg safe from leg locks? It looks like you are locking it right next to his armpit which seems dangerous but I assume there's some property of the lapel feed that means the opponent cant get any leverage here?

You've got a hold of their lapel so they can't extend for a foot lock or step over for a kneebar, there is no angle for a toe hold, and heel hooks are banned in the gi.

Where can I find this spinning knee cut pass that you speak of?

I've only seen it on his site. You may be able to view a few vids for free before signing up. It's like a hybrid of a knee-cut and a back-step; you're still passing to the front, momentarily giving your back with both hands on the mat, but then spinning to face the legs, which then breaks his grip when you kick out.

Only works vs. the conventional single leg/RDLR lapel feed, though.

can anyone tell me a better martial art than jiu jitsu that is effective against enemies with weapons?

thanks.

can anyone tell me a better martial art than jiu jitsu that is effective against enemies with weapons?

thanks.

Buy a Gun, go to a shooting range. Or invest in some good running shoes and learn how to run fast.

i like it a lot. anything irritating and controlling your opponent while setting up sweeps is my game

This is why I like training no gi.

I am just a simple man. This shit is way too complicated.

Fair point and I agree with what you say. I do find double guard pulling quite boring.

I personally enjoy both gi and no gi and whilst my passing game is similar, my guard game is very different for both. I play DLR hooks for gi whereas my no gi game is based on guards where the feet are in between the legs, e.g. RDLR, butterfly, X guard, etc.

Like or dislike it double guard pulling is now an integral part of gi jiu-jitsu. I think for those who want to avoid seeing this style of grappling then they should watch no gi.

It should also be noted that the best guys in the gi are also beasts in no gi and they largely have different approaches to both

The double guard pull will be a thing of the past due to the new ibjjf rule.
I am still interested to see its application in the new World Cup.

I am flabbergasted that anyone can defend this as not retarded and say it's good for the sport.

You should legally be allowed to crunch over and let him pull your gi off at that point. It could make an even greater sport, where dudes are taking their jackets off and using them to bind their opponent.

why aren't you allowed to lasso people with your belts or take your gi off during a match?

can i escape spider guard by taking my arm out of the gi sleeve?

Back