The Worm Guard (BJJ Scout)

Umm Tanquinho has been doing this for years..

lol at yet another ridiculous sport jiu jitsu guard

Has anyone considered this is exactly how horse stance, cat stance, etc etc came to be? The things we make fun of traditional martial arts for?

Awesome breakdown. I love BJJ's constant evolution. Most sports don't evolve as quickly in terms of technique.

"Has anyone considered this is exactly how horse stance, cat stance, etc etc came to be? The things we make fun of traditional martial arts for?"

Why, of course, TMA kata stances are somehow analogous to sport techniques that work well.

Perfect analogy.

"Has anyone considered this is exactly how horse stance, cat stance, etc etc came to be? The things we make fun of traditional martial arts for?"

Why, of course, TMA kata stances are somehow analogous to sport techniques that work well.

Perfect analogy.

If you thought about it more, you might see a parallel without taking it personally.

Seems effective, yet looks super super hard to get there, much harder than any basic open guard. Looks like it'd be worth while learning at a much higher level of jits than I'm at :)

"If you thought about it more, you might see a parallel without taking it personally."

I see no parallel. Advanced grappling techniques are for advanced grapplers.

If all any grappler did was concern himself with just the "self-defense" basics, then he would never advanced within the sport, and continue to hone those skills that are apart of an advanced strategy.

Learning advanced, non-self defense style techniques still involves exploring leverage, positional awareness, and discovering clever solutions to problems that can be applied to even more basic techniques.

Comparing sport grappling tactics with stand-up kata positions is a bad analogy.

"If you thought about it more, you might see a parallel without taking it personally."

I see no parallel. Advanced grappling techniques are for advanced grapplers.

If all any grappler did was concern himself with just the "self-defense" basics, then he would never advanced within the sport, and continue to hone those skills that are apart of an advanced strategy.

Learning advanced, non-self defense style techniques still involves exploring leverage, positional awareness, and discovering clever solutions to problems that can be applied to even more basic techniques.

Comparing sport grappling tactics with stand-up kata positions is a bad analogy.

Roger Gracie. Just about everything he does is fundamental Jiu-Jitsu and he dominated.

Definitely innovative and feasible, but that makes me want to just train vale tudo from now on.

The analogy is they both have weird animal-based names, and look wholly impractical and ridiculous taken our of their proper context.

Definitely innovative and feasible, but that makes me want to just train vale tudo from now on.

It's becoming clear to me that the only way to deal with all these new intricate positions is to shut guys down far before they even get there. BJJScout's video on Murilo Santana was a good illustration of that.

The analogy is they both have weird animal-based names, and look wholly impractical and ridiculous taken our of their proper context.

This guy knows how to think logically.

Makes me want to train no gi. As interesting as they may be, I hate these new lapel-based open guards. The sport didn't need another reason to avoid playing top.

I personally don't understand the negativity. Yes it is not particularly applicable to self defence but if you think that Keenan can't use fundamental jiu jitsu in those situations then I think that it is big misconception.

To me it is just more innovation in our sport. It forces the best guys to think up new counters to pass it. It ultimately makes it more diverse and I personally admire Keenan for having the intelligence to devise it and putting in the hard work into applying it at the highest level.

I personally don't understand the negativity. Yes it is not particularly applicable to self defence but if you think that Keenan can't use fundamental jiu jitsu in those situations then I think that it is big misconception.

To me it is just more innovation in our sport. It forces the best guys to think up new counters to pass it. It ultimately makes it more diverse and I personally admire Keenan for having the intelligence to devise it and putting in the hard work into applying it at the highest level.

Definitely. I just hope people develop ways of countering these lapel feed positions, or the sport will become a race to sit down and entangle the gi for a sweep. Obviously, every technique can be countered, but since the lapel is a lever that isn't a limb, the lapel feed is more easily acquired than other strong grips, and breaking it is very difficult. Hopefully we will see new ways of passing that kill the utility of these grips (like Galv

Back