The worlds greatest video game racer in a real racecar

Einar

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Greger Huttu from Finland is considered by many to be the best online racecar driver in the world. The people at iRacing and Top Gear Magazine wondered how a top sim racer would do in a real car on a real track, and Greger was the perfect candidate, as he had no real life racing experience, in fact he didnt even have a driving licence. He was flown to the US to drive a real race car around Road Atlanta, a track he was very familiar with in racing games. The car he would drive is a Star Mazda, an open wheel Formula 1 style car with 260 HP and weighing about 500 kg.

[YT]0p_sCrM1CcI[/YT]

If you just want to know the results and not watch the rather boring video; after the training in slower cars Greger only needed a few laps in the Star Mazda to get within a couple of seconds off the laptimes of experienced racecar drivers... and then he threw up in his helmet and all over his racing suit... while driving. He was just not physically fit enough to last more than a few laps at a time in the intense Atlanta heat, but his knowledge of racing lines and experience at sim racing translated pretty well to the real thing. Greger says that he believes he could have shaved a couple of seconds off his laptimes if he was braver under braking.

That guy looks like Dale Jr

Next they should see how EVO competitors fare in an MMA fight. You know, for science.

GT Academy has been going since 2008.

That guy looks like Dale Jr

That's because it is Dale Jr. lol. Did you even watch the video? The guy looks nothing like Dale Jr. He's got short brown hair, brown eyes and glasses.

I raced against Huttu plenty of times. Guy was on another level.

Guys like Rusty Wallace and Shannon Whitmore who gave me a hard time, yet could be beat. Huttu blew their doors off with ease.

Never got to race him a lot because of the time difference and iRacing had yet to adjust their netcode with high ping.

Some NASCAR drivers do iRacing in order to prepare for a track.

I raced against most of them online in N2K3. Won 400 bucks from Dale Jrs first 'major' cash race for placing second.

Back