The World Needs Ditchdiggers Too

71Fish

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Why push for free or even dirt cheap college education? Who the will do the jobs that are now beneath them with their new high falutin ways? Illegals?

Trades..Electrician - Plumber etc.. 100k a year jobs. Yet these millennials are getting these shit degrees and bitching when they can't find a job.

what if you buy a machine and fire all the ditch diggers they are not needed then

Trades..Electrician - Plumber etc.. 100k a year jobs. Yet these millennials are getting these shit degrees and bitching when they can't find a job.

Most of those jobs have median salaries under 75k. The people who make 100k+ are working damned hard to get it. Same goes for people with college degrees. Getting 50k/year with a BA is no trouble, you need to hustle to get over 100k.

Yep, all the pro college propaganda was incredible when I was in HS.

Learning a trade is always a good idea if you dont want or have the time for the college route.

I'm graduating on December 17th with my Finance degree and I would love to find a 9-5 that pays me $50,000-$60,000 that i dont hate

Most of those jobs have median salaries under 75k. The people who make 100k+ are working damned hard to get it. Same goes for people with college degrees. Getting 50k/year with a BA is no trouble, you need to hustle to get over 100k.
Right - Nobody wants to put in 110% anymore. Like I said - these kids want everything handed to them. This country is on the decline.

We've been saving for years for my kid's college education. Even when times were rough and we lived on tuna and fried rice, we somehow managed to keep putting that money aside for her. When the day arrives and she picks her course, if she tells me she chose anything other than law, science or medicine I will fucking kill her.

We've been saving for years for my kid's college education. Even when times were rough and we lived on tuna and fried rice, we somehow managed to keep putting that money aside for her. When the day arrives and she picks her course, if she tells me she chose anything other than law, science or medicine I will fucking kill her.
You can be anything you like sweetie, as long as it's a real job.

Exactly - nothing wrong with telling your kid that they can be anything they want... but explain to them if they (or you) plan to spend 150,000 on college ya better go to med/law or something lucrative...instead of majoring in glass-blowing and minoring in creative writing.

If she decides to take gender studies, would you mind filming your reaction and posting it on here?

Most guys I know in the trades bodies are fucked and they're not even 30 yet. Yes, they make decent dough, but also judging by the older guys that I've worked with, not so sure it's the most desirable job out there. Definitely a great alternative to college.

If you're smart and invest in yourself, or maybe even start your own business, you can make a killing in the trades no doubt. But from working in the trades myself and knowing a bunch of tradesmen, I would rather go white collar.

Don't go to school and get a shitty liberal arts degree. If you choose the right degree and work hard, you can definitely do well for yourself.

Capitalism has run its course and we are starting to see it!

Right - Nobody wants to put in 110% anymore. Like I said - these kids want everything handed to them. This country is on the decline.

It's not just these kids, it's the vast majority of experienced tradesmen as well.

I went to college and got a career I enjoy instead of fixing people's toilets to stick it to the liberals. So there.

This is such a silly stereotype. Every generation believes that the following generations are soft / lazy.

Studies have shown that millennials work as hard, if not harder than previous generations.
http://www.manpowergroup.com/wps/wc...2020VisionWhitPr5_20_16+FINAL.pdf?MOD=AJPERES
The report, which surveyed 19,000 Millennials in 25 countries confirmed that Millennials aren't enjoying the 40 hour work week that some older generations did. In the US, Brazil, and Norway, the average youth works 45 hours a week — in India, the typical Millennial works 52 hours a week.

A significant number of American Millennials — 21% to be exact — say they've taken up at least one other job to make ends meet.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10869-016-9466-5
Three hierarchical multiple regressions found no effect of generational cohort on work ethic endorsement.

50 years ago, someone could have a menial job and still afford to buy a house. College was a fraction of the price just 20 years ago. Not so much anymore. If anything, the economic clime is against millennials.

Oh yes, let's encourage people not to get educated beyond high school and one skill because morons like wonderbread perceive that people who are educated look down on him and on working hard. sounds like a bright future is ahead if we just do all we can to please wonderbread and make sure he's not uncomfortable in any way.

Back