THE WITCH (Might Be One of the Best Horror Films of 2016; Opens February 19)

If you have seen THE WITCH, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I really don't get the positive ratings for this. I guess it's just me. I'm all for a movie slowly building tension, lots of dialogue, and taking its time in general. But I felt like there were no likeable characters and it was the same conversations over and over again without any development.

I think the plot itself and how it developed was good but I don't think it did a good job of actually writing an interesting movie inbetween.

I really don't get the positive ratings for this. I guess it's just me. I'm all for a movie slowly building tension, lots of dialogue, and taking its time in general. But I felt like there were no likeable characters and it was the same conversations over and over again without any development.

I think the plot itself and how it developed was good but I don't think it did a good job of actually writing an interesting movie inbetween.

I just really enjoyed the whole atmosphere that the film creates, it did a really good job of making me feel uneasy & tense throughout.

I just really enjoyed the whole atmosphere that the film creates, it did a really good job of making me feel uneasy & tense throughout.
I thought it was going to be more gritty. It had good atmosphere, but it always felt a bit too... Produced?? I can't describe it, honestly. I always felt like a was watching a movie, even with the dialogue the way it was.

I thought it was going to be more gritty. It had good atmosphere, but it always felt a bit too... Produced?? I can't describe it, honestly. I always felt like a was watching a movie, even with the dialogue the way it was.

I didn't get that feeling from it, however I was very baked when I watched it.

I completely agree that horror is the hardest genre to do really well. Most scary movies suck terribly and I wouldn't see them even if someone paid for my ticket.

Fear is a very subjective thing, eh.

Never heard of The Witch before now, but I'm looking forward to it. The occult is my big fear trigger. Even Emily Rose is a guilty pleasure of mine.

I didn't get that feeling from it, however I was very baked when I watched it.
Yeah, I'm not saying my opinion is the gospel. It wasn't a bad movie at all, just nothing I would want to watch again.

for likeable characters

I hated the mom, dad, and the two smallest children. Caleb was fine and I liked the lead, Thomasin. I hate movies and shows without likeable characters also.

I was pretty creeped out the entire time. Seems for the majority of the movie they were relying on the viewer's imagination to create the fear and distress of not being able to see or know for sure what was in the woods or in the dark, but when they did show things I thought they were good payoffs. I felt like that fear of what is out there was established really well with...

The opening scene, with the witch stealing and killing the baby, then mashing it up and spreading its blood all over her horrible body. The entire time you realize that kind of evil is lurking, but you don't see it explicitly save for a few times in the film

Like someone else was saying though I can see how the movie might not please or suit everyone, there was someone at the end of the movie who said "that was so stupid" when the credits rolled.

I didn't like it. I was following it for a few months now, I was really excited to see it. I like slow burn atmospheric horror. But this was just not good. It wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination but it is highly overrated by critics. I was expecting something highly original, but it was just....nothing. There was nothing there. The first ten minutes is fantastic but after that it's just melodrama with high pitched string chords and shots of trees with a very disappointing denouement.

I saw it yesterday with my friends and it was crazy disappointing. The trailers really had me excited and the beginning peaked my curiosity but after that nothing really happened.

It was bad enough we imediately bought tickets to Deadpool(all of our first viewing) starting 20 minutes later so our trip to the theater wasn't a total waste.

I liked it quite a bit, but I'm left with plenty of questions. Definitely a film that demands multiple viewings and a keen eye.

I didn't like it. I was following it for a few months now, I was really excited to see it. I like slow burn atmospheric horror. But this was just not good. It wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination but it is highly overrated by critics. I was expecting something highly original, but it was just....nothing. There was nothing there. The first ten minutes is fantastic but after that it's just melodrama with high pitched string chords and shots of trees with a very disappointing denouement.

just out of curiosity what slow burn horror have you liked a lot?

This movie was slow, not good character building, just slow, for the first hour and change. Then right when you're about to give up it takes a turn for the stupid which is all capped off with a floating naked witch seance.....crap!

The Witch was great. If slow burn/atmospheric horror is not your style and you are looking for gore, jump scares and one liners this is not a movie for you.

The film is beautifully directed, acted and scored. The attention to detail in the dress, dialect and setting of the film is superb and the fact that it uses details from actual records of witchcraft from that era makes The Witch an immersive experience in horror.

If you are a fan of smart horror with social commentary I think this is a film you should check out.

8/10

It was good.

Loved the night time woods setting. There were parts that were eerie but the movie overall was not scary.

7.5/10

Real religious opression, real religious superstition, real religious logical fallacy, real religon based family betrayal, fake witch stuff. The only horror in this movie is the real portrayal of being in a Christian cult.

Rofl watched this with my GF but she's dumb so the dialect confused her. Awesome horror film though.

The best horror film I can recall from recent memory is probably 'House of the Devil' for me.

Really? I had high hopes for that one. Look I get it, horror films need to include more mood . . . more suspense . . . draw out the terror. . . But shit also needs to happen!

But I felt like there were no likeable characters . . .

I've noticed you've made this comment a few times now. What exactly was unlikable about Thomasin? Or Caleb?

Even William, flawed man that he was, I found to be sympathetic.

Real religious opression, real religious superstition, real religious logical fallacy, real religon based family betrayal, fake witch stuff. The only horror in this movie is the real portrayal of being in a Christian cult.

Only someone with an agenda would actually find this message in the movie, considering that in the end all the "superstition" turns out to be real.

I gave it a 9/10, I fucking loved it. Such a dark/tense movie that really does a good job of building the tension. Cast was excellent. I didn't think it was boring at all, which seems to be a lot of peoples complaint, it isn't in your face the whole time but it definitely does enough to keep you entertained while things are boiling up.

The audience I saw it with didn't seem to like it though. Lots of people mocking the film and laughing at some of the more disturbing scenes. A few people even booed when it ended.

Best Horror movie in a very long time imo, but not for everyone.
The sparse crowd at my showing was pretty much evenly split between elderly couples and teenage girls. They seemed to be expecting a Blair Witch experience and I heard a lot of grumbling afterward about the olde english and how they'd "never get those two hours back".

I thought it was masterful all around, performances, pacing, themes, just everything worked for me. But then I kind of knew what I was getting into.

Back