THE WITCH (Might Be One of the Best Horror Films of 2016; Opens February 19)

If you have seen THE WITCH, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I agree. Really difficult to make a great horror film. Out of all the genre's, do horror movies have the most bad films?

I know quite a few amateur film makers, and they all seem to gravitate towards horror for the first few films they do. They all sucked btw.

A great horror film is like the unicorn or holy grail of film making. Think about it. How many truly great horror films have ever been made? 5? 10? They are so few they they almost don't exist.

The Shining, The Exorcist, maybe throw Jaws in, but how many others are there?

A great horror film is like the unicorn or holy grail of film making. Think about it. How many truly great horror films have ever been made? 5? 10? They are so few they they almost don't exist.

Amityville Horror, Shining, Exorcist, Exorcist III, Suspiria, Night of the Living Dead, Drag Me to Hell, Alien, Psycho, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, House of the Devil, Jaws, and that's about all that come to mind initially.

I'm just naming my favorites for fun if anyone else wants to debate or add some.

Amityville Horror, Shining, Exorcist, Exorcist III, Suspiria, Night of the Living Dead, Drag Me to Hell, Alien, Psycho, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, House of the Devil, Jaws, and that's about all that come to mind initially.

I'm just naming my favorites for fun if anyone else wants to debate or add some.

Yea most of those you listed would be considered classics. Compared to other genres their aren't that many great horror films. I'm not sure why the horror genre is so hard to do right but it is. I would also add this as a sort of iconic horror film.

th

Yea most of those you listed would be considered classics. Compared to other genres their aren't that many great horror films. I'm not sure why the horror genre is so hard to do right but it is. I would also add this as a sort of iconic horror film.
[/IMG]

Oh man, good call, forgot to add The Thing.

So you didn't think it built tension because you could just fast forward to the scenes where something happened?

It was a slow burn that definitely isn't for everyone. But it's pretty widely considered one of the best in recent years.

Agreed. I loved the Paranormal Activity movies.

So you didn't think it built tension because you could just fast forward to the scenes where something happened?

It was a slow burn that definitely isn't for everyone. But it's pretty widely considered one of the best in recent years.

idk, i'm not trying to start a pissing contest or anything but its terrible. i'm a pretty big horror fanatic and i just seen right through the movie. its not fast forwarding til something happens, its knowing that nothing happens til the night cam scenes for 3/4of the movie. there is zero tension in the movie and i knew the girl was doomed from the onset of the movie. people who dont watch horror movies often would probably get a rise out of it. most of the people i was with did. my girl and i just hung in the background laughing our asses off at how predictable/lame it was

as far as the slow burn thing, not buying it. in my original post i credit ti west for being decent at manufacturing tension. his movies if anything are absolutely slow burn

That trailer went hard in da paint.

Looks okay, will watch.

idk, i'm not trying to start a pissing contest or anything but its terrible. i'm a pretty big horror fanatic and i just seen right through the movie. its not fast forwarding til something happens, its knowing that nothing happens til the night cam scenes for 3/4of the movie. there is zero tension in the movie and i knew the girl was doomed from the onset of the movie. people who dont watch horror movies often would probably get a rise out of it. most of the people i was with did. my girl and i just hung in the background laughing our asses off at how predictable/lame it was

as far as the slow burn thing, not buying it. in my original post i credit ti west for being decent at manufacturing tension. his movies if anything are absolutely slow burn

You sound cool.

Probably writes for Fangoria.

I'm in but I'm hoping its not like a M. Knight Shamalamadingdong film where we don't ever actually see the witch/hag/evil. The preview had that distinct flavor.

When that black goat reared up on its hind legs it looked like it was changing into human form. My bet is we see more.

Also, I think I'm one of the few who liked The Village quite a lot.

Anyway, looks like a horror worth checking out for sure and I'll obviously do so.

There's a lot more than those you listed, but I do agree that good horrors are a lot fewer and farther between than any other genre.

There's more great horrors than video game adaptations, anyway.

Looks pretty good, I'll probably watch it

Back