THE WITCH (Might Be One of the Best Horror Films of 2016; Opens February 19)

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Dragonlordxxxxx, Aug 19, 2015.

?

If you have seen THE WITCH, how would you rate it?

Poll closed Sep 15, 2016.
  1. 10 - Excellent

14.5%
  2. 9 - Great

17.7%
  3. 8 - Good

25.8%
  4. 7 - Pretty Good

11.3%
  5. 6 - Decent

4.8%
  6. 5 - Average

4.8%
  7. 4 - Poor

8.1%
  8. 3 - Bad

1.6%
  9. 2- Terribad

3.2%
  10. 1- Abysmal

8.1%
  1. Dragonlordxxxxx

Dragonlordxxxxx Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

Update: February 19, 2016

Critics' Reviews for THE WITCH

Rotten Tomatoes: 88% approval rating (113 out of 128 critics like it)

Critics Consensus: As thought-provoking as it is visually compelling, The Witch delivers a deeply unsettling exercise in slow-building horror that suggests great things for debuting writer-director Robert Eggers.

[​IMG]

Entertainment Weekly - What makes this chillingly creepy little black-magic folk tale work so beautifully is its evocative sense of time and place ... Well, that and composer Mark Korven's unsettling soundtrack full of screechy, dissonant strings. A-

Arizona Republic - With incredible attention to detail and an unwavering commitment to the world he has created, Eggers slowly, surely builds tension until it's almost unbearable. And that's delightful, if you're a horror fan. It's a terrific film. 4/5

USA Today - The first great film of 2016 is a horror flick with Puritans, possessed kids, naked forest women and a haunting goat named Black Phillip. 3.5/4

Rolling Stone - Building his film on the diabolical aftershocks of Puritan repression, Eggers raises The Witch far above the horror herd. He doesn't need cheap tricks. Eggers merely directs us to look inside. Be warned: It'll scare the hell out of you. 3.5/4

CinemaBlend.com - Gloriously directed and constructed by first-timer Robert Eggers, The Witch becomes increasingly creepy and unsettling with each passing frame. Even beyond its audacious final shot. One of the early contenders for the best film of 2016. 5/5

Update: August 18, 2015

First Official Trailer for the Sundance Horror Hit THE WITCH

[​IMG]

A24 Films has released the first trailer and poster for writer/director Robert Eggers’ intensely unnerving feature debut The Witch.

Aptly described as a New England folktale, the film takes place in the year 1630, a generation before the Salem witch trials, and revolves around a small family that has been excommunicated from its plantation due to father William’s outspoken objections to what he sees as the community’s lax religious principles. But when he moves his family to a remote cabin near the foreboding woods, an unspeakable horror creeps in, leaving their lives forever changed.

This trailer is not only an excellent signifier of what kind of experience you’re in for with The Witch, it’s also just a damn good teaser trailer; it entices rather than reveals. The film stars Anya Taylor-Joy, Ralph Ineson, Katie Dickie, Harvey Scrimshaw, Lucas Dawson, and Ellie Grainger and opens in theaters sometime in 2016.

‘The Witch’ Trailer Teases One of the Most Terrifying Films in Years

Comments: Watch out for this next year. Might be one of the best horror films of 2016.

BisexualMMA likes this.
  2. Tamriel Terror

Tamriel Terror Silver Belt

oh helllll yesss. Me Gusta

3. MusterX

MusterX Titanium Belt

I'm in but I'm hoping its not like a M. Knight Shamalamadingdong film where we don't ever actually see the witch/hag/evil. The preview had that distinct flavor.

4. Torrid

Torrid Cunning Linguist

thanks for sharing.

The best horror film I can recall from recent memory is probably 'House of the Devil' for me. I hope this piece delivers, because there are so few great horror films.

Nameless Ghoul likes this.
  5. Organic Damage

Organic Damage Vantablack belt

6. Tamriel Terror

never seen house of the devil, but i agree about only a few good actual horror films (i mean films that genuinely build up fear and suspense), not just your average scary movie, or movie like paranormal activity which is basically only pop outs that try and make you jump (almost all horror movies these days).

hope "the witch" is great, because horror is my fav genre to watch

7. TrueBias

TrueBias Silver Belt

Kept thinking of The Village.
    Then remembered my disappointment level.

8. MusterX

MusterX Titanium Belt

A great horror film is like the unicorn or holy grail of film making. Think about it. How many truly great horror films have ever been made? 5? 10? They are so few they they almost don't exist.

The Shining, The Exorcist, maybe throw Jaws in, but how many others are there?

LostKing likes this.
  9. Tamriel Terror

dont remind of that movie lol

10. Tamriel Terror

agree, personally i didn't find the exorcist scary at all, but at the time it was made, i could see it being a landmark. Your absolutely right that a good horror movie that literally puts fear into you is extremely difficult to find.

11. RollSonnenRoll

RollSonnenRoll On the square. On the level.

Same. I'm picking up a strong feeling that there will be no actual witch.

12. Senzo Tanaka

Senzo Tanaka Silver Belt

Looks good to me. I love the mythology and imagery. It looks like an actual unnerving horror movie for once while not relying on gore.

My only critique is that it looks low budget while at the same trying to be big budget. That always annoys me when films feel the need to try to look slick. I think it really could have benefited from old film stock.

13. Hearse Lightning

Hearse Lightning Not an Uber

Man I hope this is good. It's hard to get excited about horror movies lately but I'm looking forward to this one.

14. KhabibTheBeagle

KhabibTheBeagle Papi de la Sherdog

Thanks for the share, I love horror movies!

15. Dizzy

Dizzy \[T]/ Platinum Member

The first PA didn't rely on just jump scares. It built tension extremely well.

The sequels have all been nothing but jump scares, however.

16. method115

method115 Titanium Belt

This looks like it could be really good or trash.

17. Tyrannosaurus rex

Tyrannosaurus rex GrizzlyTitan

Starring Dagmer Cleftjaw and Lysa Arryn.

Hope it's a good movie. Most horrow movies today suck.

18. Soul Rebel 2

Soul Rebel 2 Black Belt

TIP: If it goes though Sundance or the Indy circuit before getting a wide release then its probably quite good.

19. BenRichards

BenRichards Brown Belt

i didn't think it built any level of tension and was laughably bad. for 3/4 of the movie, you could literally just fast forward to the night cam scenes and wait til it stops fast forwarding and bam something happens! fucking terrible

the only modern horror movies that i thought built decent tension were it follows, high tension, and ti west's movies (house of the devil, the innkeeepers, etc)

20. Dizzy

Dizzy \[T]/ Platinum Member

So you didn't think it built tension because you could just fast forward to the scenes where something happened?

It was a slow burn that definitely isn't for everyone. But it's pretty widely considered one of the best in recent years.