The winner of Amosov - Storley would dominate Lima

TFK20

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Lima is the same fighter he's always been, good leg kicks and left hook but stuck-in-the-mud footwork and terrible in the clinch.

Both guys can wrestle their asses off and would take him down rather easily.

Lima would chew him up standing but can Lima stop Amosov's takedowns and can Amosov do it for 25 min?

Would be an interesting fight. Dont think he'll get a title shot off this win though, probably needs to beat a Gracie, MVP or Larkin to get the shot.

Lima, I mean...he has a puncher's chance. Surprise uppercut or flying knee. But nothing high percentage. Either would likely beat him.

We will likely find out sometime in 2021. I got Lima winning by TKO in round 4/5.

Both of them are really good but not ready for Lima yet

Even Storley caught Amosov, imagine if that was Lima <DCWhoa>

Both of them are really good but not ready for Lima yet

Even Storley caught Amosov, imagine if that was Lima <DCWhoa>
Storley's wrestling is better than Lima's by a couple magnitudes so I don't think that's particularly worth wondering...

Lima wouldn't find himself in that position to begin with.

Storley's wrestling is better than Lima's by a couple magnitudes so I don't think that's particularly worth wondering...

Lima wouldn't find himself in that position to begin with.

I know that but Amosov would not try to fight Lima (Storley style). And even if he did, he would not succeed. Have you seen Lima's TDD recently (Not the Moose fight, the ones against WWs?). It's amazing and Lima hits way harder than Amosov

I know that but Amosov would not try to fight Lima (Storley style). And even if he did, he would not succeed. Have you seen Lima's TDD recently (Not the Moose fight, the ones against WWs?). It's amazing and Lima hits way harder than Amosov
To date he has fought one fighter in his lifetime who was at or near the caliber of wrestler that Amosov is, and that was Ben Askren. Not only has no one been equal, no one has been close. Amosov is a 3x world sambo champ and 3x euro sambo champ. Anything that Lima has in the way of TDD would be insufficient. The MW fight cuts both ways, Moose is bigger but for that fight so is Lima, and Moose is not a grappler unless he knows that it's easy money.

TDD goes something like this. Even if you stuff 2/3 takedowns, getting taken down a single time by a good positional fighter results with you being on the ground for the entire round. Can Lima stuff a shot? Sure. Two? Probably. Can he stop enough to prevent the fight from going to the ground? Probably not.

To date he has fought one fighter in his lifetime who was at or near the caliber of wrestler that Amosov is, and that was Ben Askren. Not only has no one been equal, no one has been close. Amosov is a 3x world sambo champ and 3x euro sambo champ. Anything that Lima has in the way of TDD would be insufficient. The MW fight cuts both ways, Moose is bigger but for that fight so is Lima, and Moose is not a grappler unless he knows that it's easy money.
But Moose can takedown even HWs. Amosov probably not.

Listen, I like Amosov, check my post history. Never said a bad word against him, he is super skilled but I don't see how he can beat Lima. He matches up better with Usman than Lima.

But Moose can takedown even HWs. Amosov probably not.
Well firstly, Mousasi was a middleweight so of course a middleweight will have more success taking down heavyweights than a welterweight. And secondly, there are no longer openweight bouts so we'd have no way to test it anyways. When Lima fights Amosov, or Storley, he'll be a WW again, I think that's the primary consideration.

Listen, I like Amosov, check my post history. Never said a bad word against him, he is super skilled but I don't see how he can beat Lima. He matches up better with Usman than Lima.
I don't doubt that you like Amosov. But I think you just might underestimate the importance of wrestling in the welterweight division. Even if he doesn't get the takedown. What's to prevent him from pushing Lima against the cage for 25 minutes and stomping on his feet like Usman/Masvidal? And I don't know what Lima can do about it. If the fight goes to the ground, what does Lima do about it?

I personally have a very difficult time imagining how Lima is supposed to win this fight. Any time the distance between he and Amosov closes, he's either going to be pushed into the cage wall, or he's going to be take down, and you don't have to do damage from there. Just knee him in the thigh, stomp on his feet, touch him in the head a bit, rack up strikes on the scorecard and win on points. Lima can't risk closing the distance, which will greatly impair his ability to get in striking distance.

Well firstly, Mousasi was a middleweight so of course a middleweight will have more success taking down heavyweights than a welterweight. And secondly, there are no longer openweight bouts so we'd have no way to test it anyways. When Lima fights Amosov, or Storley, he'll be a WW again, I think that's the primary consideration.

I don't doubt that you like Amosov. But I think you just might underestimate the importance of wrestling in the welterweight division. Even if he doesn't get the takedown. What's to prevent him from pushing Lima against the cage for 25 minutes and stomping on his feet like Usman/Masvidal? And I don't know what Lima can do about it. If the fight goes to the ground, what does Lima do about it?

I personally have a very difficult time imagining how Lima is supposed to win this fight. Any time the distance between he and Amosov closes, he's either going to be pushed into the cage wall, or he's going to be take down, and you don't have to do damage from there. Just knee him in the thigh, stomp on his feet, touch him in the head a bit, rack up strikes on the scorecard and win on points. Lima can't risk closing the distance, which will greatly impair his ability to get in striking distance.
You see that fight going that way, I see it differently. May the best guy win. War both of them!

Amosov’s grappling is on a different level. I feel he could beat Lima at this point

Amosov in press conference was out of breath and berly able to talk how out of gas he was. I see how people like to compare amosov to khabib both sambo champions and great wrestling and grappling except khabib grappling is on another stratosphere and khabib got unlimited gas tank which amosov would struggle in 5 rounds

Amosov in press conference was out of breath and berly able to talk how out of gas he was. I see how people like to compare amosov to khabib both sambo champions and great wrestling and grappling except khabib grappling is on another stratosphere and khabib got unlimited gas tank which amosov would struggle in 5 rounds
WW and LW are very different divisions for that reason. LW is still very striker friendly. WW is the blanket division. Just because of anatomically, the strategy that works best at that weight is to wrestle, it always has been, just look at the champs, GSP, Hughes, Woodley, Colby, Usman, etc. So whereas Khabib faced other fighters who were competent wrestlers, Amosov, like tonight against Storley, will face many elite wrestlers. If Khabib fought at WW, which he could since he walks around at 190, he would have a significantly harder time than at LW. And this is not to bash or in any way diminish Khabib's accomplishments, it is merely undeniable that the wrestling at WW is better than at LW. And Khabib would be pushed much harder.

Like, no offense to Poirier, Gaethje, Conor, I'm big fans of all of them really. None of them hold a candle to Storley in terms of wrestling. They are more well-rounded fighters, they're maybe more entertaining depending on what you look for in a fight, they're not better at wrestling. They're not close.

Back