Television The wide range of actors in British television shows

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by ralphc1, Oct 29, 2020.

1. ralphc1 Steel Belt Platinum Member

For the past months with nothing new on US television, I've been watching several British television shows from the past. I've always enjoyed British television since seeing them on US public broadcasting channels. Comedies like Monty Python, Good Neighbors, The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, Blackadder etc. The detective series like Sherlock Holmes and Poirot. Amazon has several British shows like Silent Witness, Luther, Unforgotten. YouTube now has Midsomer Murders and Poirot.

Many of these shows use extra cast for one show and there seem to be so many in Britain who can play some odd or quirky looking as well as acting characters. The United States, which has a much higher population, doesn't seem to have as much variety in acting in television and movies. Maybe it's the longer format of the shows. The writing also seems to be better. They don't rely as much on fight scenes and chase scenes and usually have some sub plots going on.

I have a lot of programming to watch.

2. Arkham's Notorious Geyser Sherdog's Shane Walsh. Not E for Everyone.

You have to take into consideration the audience TV Writers in the US are dealing with nowadays. I for one agree that British Television, AS well as their Actors give most American Shows and Actors a run for their money, but they also don't have to deal with this weird PC Cancel Culture hindering the creativity of certain shows or projects they want to make.

I think we can agree that the current generation is probably one of the most sensitive and most negative Generations ever, and this is a time Boomer's also say some dumb stuff too, but with how much Social Media has made it's presence known, and how EVERYONE nowadays can be a critic, sometimes Showrunners or Writer's in an effort to quell as much Twitter Fake Outrage, they dull the stories down and try to pander to what appears to be the "Vocal Majority" when in reality it's just a bunch of miserable fucks with too much free time bitching on Social Media.

This is not to say that Writers, Directors and Actors even when they try their best can't make generally uneventful and uninspired material, it happens, but I think we have to take into consideration the Toxic PC Culture that permeates through the entertainment Industry in the US.

It's true, that we've seen a decline in overall Quality of TV Shows, and Diversity of things to watch, but the "Audience" or this generation is also partially responsible for certain Creators within the Industry feeling like their walking on egg shells before some dumb fuck on Twitter brings up some shit that happened in B.C to try and get them canceled.

Overall, I agree, but I think Social Media and this TOXIC PC Culture plays a big part in the DRASTIC reduction in the quality of American Entertainment as a whole.

3. A.A. Riggs sweet ... sweet meat!

4. fingercuffs VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT Platinum Member

Lots of loaf, haha.

@ralphc1 Do you have access to The League of Gentlemen? If you like Monty Python, I think you would dig it. It's probably my favourite show of all time.

monkeyrhythm likes this.
  5. MadNIghtKing Blue Belt

It’s because the majority of Americans, how should I put this nicely, mentally challenged. Attention spans of a goldfish don’t work well with slow-burn TV dramas.

6. JonKunDo Postin 25/8

The main reason that we have had good tv shows in the UK is because the BBC are funded through a mandatory tv license; so there's no commercial interest involved and less pressure to have mass appeal. They basically have a mandate to make good quality programmes rather than popular ones (Although they do have some trash too of course).

A famous example of that is the first series of The Office which totally bombed the first time it was aired, but the commissioners believed in the show so re-aired the series it in a better slot and it obviously became a huge genre defining hit. If that was a commercial station it would have been hooked after a couple of episodes of poor ratings and never heard about again.

I think we've always had great factual shows and comedy, but suck at drama, the US is definitely king of that by a long way.

7. Cpt Migraine Never out of likes..

8. TribalDrumz Red Belt

Most of them got their fucked up teeth fixed

9. kimocomplex Silver Belt

i like both

Coupling is one of my favs

10. ralphc1 Steel Belt Platinum Member

The British shows I'm watching seem to be using similar anti-racist, anti-rape themes in their programs that is being used in the US. Social justice is a worldwide phenomenon and has been a problem in the UK since their colonial days.

11. ralphc1 Steel Belt Platinum Member

I think you are correct in the difference between commercial television as the US does it and the way the BBC goes about it. Commercials ruin the flow of a program. American networks seem to find formulas for shows. If one show is successful, every network makes one like it. Some networks will use the same formula for several shows, just setting them in different cities.

There have been times when one writer has several shows on one network. When one person writes everything, the content soon becomes stale. The British shows I've been watching have many different writers. Many of the US shows become dependent on the actors in them while the British shows are able to change cast members fairly easily.

JonKunDo likes this.
  12. M4rk Green Belt

@Clippy Luther is another show to add to your list.

Clippy likes this.
  13. ralphc1 Steel Belt Platinum Member

It seems that I saw it offered somewhere. I probably won't live long enough to watch all of the content available.

14. Clippy They call me the Swede. I'm Norwegian

Omg that's too many shows lol

15. M4rk Green Belt

lol true, 20 episodes across 5 seasons.

Clippy likes this.
  16. ralphc1 Steel Belt Platinum Member

[​IMG]

BB in Crazy!!!! likes this.
  17. Clippy They call me the Swede. I'm Norwegian

I'm starting to lose track of all this stuff haha

18. ralphc1 Steel Belt Platinum Member

What will you do when you actually have to go in to work or do you think they will continue the work from home?

Clippy likes this.
  19. ralphc1 Steel Belt Platinum Member

Many of them don't get their teeth fixed or warts removed. Many British actors and actresses aren't Hollywood pretty, just ordinary looking people.

20. Clippy They call me the Swede. I'm Norwegian

Well that'll be the end of me having a watch shows but I am hoping that I can work from home for a very long time