the "white belt" cough cough

I have trained judo since 2003 and BJJ since 2009, i have also lifted since i started judo, with a lot of breaks in-between those years. Still a white belt.

Do you compete in Bjj, gi or no-gi?

We have several Judo black belts who train with us (some regularly, some occasionally). 2 of them are former Olympians and a couple of national champs. The two former Olympians smash blues, give all of our purple belts a really tough time and are even a challenge for our instructor. The national champs are at least a blue belt level and sometimes get the better of purples. However, all except one wear white belts (the other is a blue). I believe there are 2 reasons for this. Firstly the ones who only train on occasion are less likely to be promoted. The second is that while they have the grappling ability of high blue/purple belts, they do not have the knowledge of a bjj blue/purple. If they can't show a beginner how to do an omoplata, de la riva guard, etc. then they don't have the knowledge needed for those ranks, while still having the level of grappling ability.

Been doing Bjj for about two years, but since my first 6 months where I got my 3 stripes I've been all over the place. Back up at college in one state, home for a bit in another, summer internship in a 3rd where I travel every other week.

I feel my 3 stripes are accurate even tho I hold my own with all and best most blues I run into. At college, it's just a Gracie garage with myself, a blue, and a handful of newbs so not exactly the best place to learn and grow. As such, parts of my game are very good, while there are embarrassing glaring holes in others. I get the "where you a wrestler?" every goddamn time after a first roll. Answer is no. Check my username

The second is that while they have the grappling ability of high blue/purple belts, they do not have the knowledge of a bjj blue/purple. If they can't show a beginner how to do an omoplata, de la riva guard, etc. then they don't have the knowledge needed for those ranks, while still having the level of grappling ability.

This pretty much sums it up for me. Just because someone with a lighter color belt than you may be able to out grapple you, it doesn't automatically mean they are more technical or knowledgeable at BJJ. it just means you need to improve and tighten up your game to deal with different styles. Or to learn some new techniques from the guy putting it to you.

People should be excited to train with these kind of guys but too often it ends up with someone being butt hurt.

Last edited:
Do you compete in Bjj, gi or no-gi?

I dont compete, competition would mean intercity travel and i only get 3 off-work days a year.

I would seriously like to start though, my BJJ is shit though, i can beat purples because i bring them into my domain through a better fight IQ, strength and judo and from then i use a very simple game to beat them.

We had a white belt come to our gym once who I completely underestimated, ends up stealing an armbar and being the only white to tap me as a blue... turns out be a judo black belt.

The Korean Zombie is a white belt in BJJ. Needless to say, he smashes all the guys including myself that crossed over from straigt bjj.

We just talked about this the other day with my instructor and he said back in his day they used to put all their competitors on with the 'white belts' and they either never came back or came back with their real belts on.

Maybe you're not that high a level of a blue? Maybe his instructor had higher standards for being promoted to blue?

I never said I was a high level blue. Im a decent blue. I handle the whites and always have good competitive rolls with the blues. so thats why It shocked me when the no stripe white was steamrolling me

Never judge by belt color, but the proper thing for someone like that to do is mention he has trained a little.

Ive seen this. But I mainly put it down to stupidly thinking its their first class and not going all out, and before I knew it, I was in a bad position. Im not really that person who sees a new white belt and wants to smash them, so my mistake really.

I remember when I first started Jiu-Jitsu in 2005 I was that white belt... I was already a judo black belt and a former national champion in wrestling. I entered a tournament after two months of training and ended up winning every division I entered including the absolute no gi and absolute GI. Now that I'm a black belt when I roll with that guy who obviously has a lot of training that wears a white belt I have to remember it's just karma coming back to bite me!

I remember when I first started Jiu-Jitsu in 2005 I was that white belt... I was already a judo black belt and a former national champion in wrestling. I entered a tournament after two months of training and ended up winning every division I entered including the absolute no gi and absolute GI. Now that I'm a black belt when I roll with that guy who obviously has a lot of training that wears a white belt I have to remember it's just karma coming back to bite me!

You're a Judo BB, National Champion Wrestler who is a BJJ BB? Go on........

I suppose i understand why ther are belts, so that peaople can get a sense of where they rank. What i don understand is why grappling eperience in other arts is not accounted for. I understand art specific if you are just starting bjj you are a white. To me it seems really inaccurate to classify someone who is say a state wrestling champ as white belt and act like all that other grappling experience does not count. In wrestlng there are no belts, either you are good or better then the other guy or not. MAybe if there is such a desire for people to have a belts system there should be one that accounts for all grappling arts a person has done. A guy who is a natiional wresting champ and just starting bjj as white belt is not in the same catagory as a guy with no other previous grapppling experience. To say they are both white belts is not an accurate description of their skills at all. Just my thought.

IBJJF > your gym

But seriously, the only reason for gyms with that policy for white belts is that it can hinder learning to pass guard. The straight ankle lock is not in any way a "cheap tap".

I've never understood why people regard ankle locks and leg locks as cheap taps. If it works and it's just that easy, then that is indeed the superior technique.

As to the topic of the thread...

If you're looking at belt colors, are concerned with them in anyway, you're doing it wrong and probably need to re-assess why belts are meaningless:

Jon-Jones-BJJ-300x300.jpg

have you guys ever rolled against someone who is wearing a white belt but clearlyyy is way more skilled and technical?

I'm kinda that guy, but not to the level you mentioned.

I've done martial arts on and off for years including TKD, Muay Thai, Boxing, Judo, a couple of forms of Japanese Jujustu, etc. all before starting BJJ. When I started in BJJ, there were no stripes. You were just a white belt until one day in a couple of years or more of hard training, the instructor handed you a blue belt.

I trained at different BJJ schools in 1997, 1999, 2001, 2005 and 2008, but I was never at any of them for long enough to reach blue belt. Now starting back in 2014, I've lost a ton of skill, but there are still some residual movements I picked up from Judo and BJJ (and rolling with good wrestlers) that makes me better than the average guy in off the street for the first BJJ class.

I'm not trying to fool anyone and I'd love to get some rank at some point, but that said, I'm still just a no-stripe white belt technically. On rare occasions I catch subs on higher belts, but most of the time, I get tooled like everyone else by those with rank.

But now with the new rules, it seems rank comes much faster than it did in the old days, so I suspect I won't be a no stripe white belt for much longer, but you never know.

I've never understood why people regard ankle locks and leg locks as cheap taps. If it works and it's just that easy, then that is indeed the superior technique.

My only issue with ankle locks at lower levels is that a lot of guys will tap quickly in practice to avoid injury. Then no one taps to it in comp. I don't want some whitebelt flailing wildly while holding my ankle and knee health in his hands.

I thought I was a badass since I was able to tap blue belts when I first came into BJJ with a Judo and wrestling experience. Now I am a purple belt and last week I got tapped by an unknown white belt who ended up having far better wrestling and Judo credentials then me.

Who are you?

I got my blue belt really quick because of my Judo background and newaza. I made the mistake of telling my instructor that I wasn't really concerned about promotions. He gave me an earful.

I got my blue belt really quick because of my Judo background and newaza. I made the mistake of telling my instructor that I wasn't really concerned about promotions. He gave me an earful.

?? What did he say?

I also am a white-belt, but also have been practicing Judo on and off for almost 8-9 years (very casually). Honestly I'm nothing special on the mats and I do still think I'm white belt level, but when I go to open mats some people seem surprised when I don't flail wildly all over the place.

Back