The what if's don't matter. Use the rules

This..^^

I had it for 48-47 Reyes but I can see where it was scored for Jones.. Close fight...no robbery
I hope they rematch. This is the most correct context for an immediate rematch, which usually I despise.
In this case though, it makes sense

I could see it going either way honestly . But it's all up to the 3 judges so my opinion is irrelevant.

What if the fight was in a ring, what if it was scored as a whole fight, what if it was out in the street behind buffalo wild wings. The rules are the rules and that is it! I just saw the thread of 2 different people saying if it was a street fight everyone would have got up saying Jones won and that mma should simulate a fight to the death. Ok so couple problems and this is with logic not emotions.

1. It is a 10 9 must system with no rounds weighing more than the other
2. Dominick Reyes trained for a 25 minute fight, not a fight to the death
This reminds me of people saying Khabib might not do as good if he was in a ring, well he trains for the cage, if he was in the ring he would be hitting people with open mat takedowns and everyone would say well if it was in a cage and guys could lean against it Khabib wouldn't do as good. The fighters train for a specific amount of time in a certain enviornment under certain rules under certain scoring criteria. How do you know Jones would win in a fight to the death when Reyes trained for a 25 minute fight?

Dude 48-47 Reyes clear as day
According to the official judges, it was a UD for Jon Jones.

2. I was impressed how he immediately knew to seize rd. 2 back.

Now whether he did that effectively or not, depending who you ask, he definitely curtailed Doms momentum and did amazing slipping the punches before reclaiming the upper hand for the next 3 mins or so.

Imo he won rd. 2
I definitely agree that Jon took control of the pace and cage in the 2nd, which he had none of in the 1st, but imo, Dom had more effective striking throughout the round, and took little damage, despite having to adjust to Jon's forward movement.

Jon showed really good defense and cage control, but Dom still effectively out struck him. The scoring criteria would support a Reyes 10-9.

Not trying to change your mind, or dispute your opinion, just giving my own opinion of the round.

I definitely agree that Jon took control of the pace and cage in the 2nd, which he had none of in the 1st, but imo, Dom had more effective striking throughout the round, and took little damage, despite having to adjust to Jon's forward movement.

Jon showed really good defense and cage control, but Dom still effectively out struck him. The scoring criteria would support a Reyes 10-9.

Not trying to change your mind, or dispute your opinion, just giving my own opinion of the round.
Hey, your take is a sound one as well. Fights are complex and there's always more than one school of thought.
I really feel like Doms stock is sky high now

Hey, your take is a sound one as well. Fights are complex and there's always more than one school of thought.
I really feel like Doms stock is sky high now
They are and there is. Which is pretty much why I'm not too bothered by the result of the fight. It literally could have gone either way. The current scoring criteria is way too vague for proper 10-9's in MMA.

There's too much room for justifiable interpretation in close fights. If we can both explain how each guy presumably won, logically, based on criteria, and also that we can see how it could've been given to the other guy, logically, based on criteria; that's some severely flawed criteria.

Back