The Weather Vane approach

Thursday
Westside Academy

Nogi
I taught class again. I showed a couple simple tips for maintaining cross body. I then set up a "King Of The Mat" situation. Winner stays on the mat on his back, and a fresh person comes in every thirty seconds and starts cross body. They fight for position. If the "King" can get to knees, reverse position, or reclaim guard, he wins. If the guy in cross body maintains position for the thirty seconds, he wins. The loser leaves the mat and owes twenty push ups. It was a blast! The class really got in to it.

Friday
Downtown Gold's

Hypertrophy
Dips: 9X8 with BW, 2X20 with BW
(superset)
T-Bar Row: 10X8 with 145
Core
GHR Sit Up: 3X15 with BW

My Gym to Harrison to 21st to Rainbow to My Gym
Conditioning
Run: 3 miles in 29:20

Sherdog, you jack ass. Why wouldn't you let me enter my workout yesterday? C'est le vie, bitches. I took a different three mile route, and ran up a big ass hill! I was forty seconds quicker today compared to last time I ran this route.

Saturday
Westside Academy

Nogi
We learn the five finger and 10 finger choke. Again, Sherdog has been messing with me.

Monday morning:
Today, I'll be kickstarting my modeling career for Arlo's core exercise book. I prepped by eating Beto's last night. ha

Memorial Day
The Lair

Core Photoshoot
Yup... I'm a model. haha Me, and a few other buddies did a bunch of core exercises for some photographer. The damn thing took FOUR hours! It was fun, though. Arlo basically directed the shoot, and participated as well. The photographer is good! He got some pretty sweet action shots of us all.
Miles of Hope Tournament
I was going to work today, but I had to call in. How can I miss participating in an event I helped pioneer for my late buddy, Miles? We raised some money and donated here: http://www.milesofhopeinc.com/
Events
Pinch Pull Up: 28 reps, 1st place. I always do well in pull up events. For this one, you had to do pull ups by only holding on to canvas straps between your fingers. Hard to describe exactly what we were doing, but it smoked our grip!
Gorilla Run: 08:20 with 72 lb. kettlebell. This... sucked, and I did as well. Didn't place. Basically, we had to run around the neighborhood holding a 72 lb. kettlebell. I did well until I got to this hill, and then it killed me. Another grip smoker!
Mjolnir Throw: 10 feet with 67 lb. sledgehammer. 3rd place. Basically, find any way you can to throw this damn Thor hammer!
2 Man Tire Drag: 100 feet with 335 lb. tire. 2nd place. We drew names out of a hat to find out who would be on teams. Arlo and I teamed up to get the silver in this one.
Slosh Pipe Floor to Overhead Press: 10 reps in 1:00. Didn't place. Usually, I rock it at the slosh pipe. Not this time. Something about setting it down and picking it back up got my balance all skewanky (sic).
Jiu Jitsu: Fourth place. We did a double elimination tournament, and allowed points for up to fourth place, which I managed to snag. I somehow got paired up with Lucus for both of my losses, which I don't feel too bad about considering he's a jiujitsu monster and pro fighter. I lost matches by kimura and arm bar, and won matches by deep halfguard knee bar and north/south shoulder choke.

Overall, I tied for third place. It was an absolute blast! The photo shoot, combined with the tournament had me basically exercising at The Lair for six hours. One helluva Memorial Day. RIP Miles, we all love you!

Tuesday
Competitive Edge

Nogi and Hypertrophy Circuit
Close Grip Bench: 4X12 with 135.
(superset)
Jiu Jitsu: About 1:40 minutes of grappling with Arlo. I guess I wasn't sore ENOUGH from yesterday.

Last edited:
Thursday
Westside Academy

Nogi
To warm up, I had the class work on passing guard at about 30% speed. I then showed a pass from side control to mount that works easier than sliding the knee across the stomach. From there, I taught the shoulder choke from mount. Specifically, I focused on how to use the "itsy bitsy spider" technique to isolate an arm and put it in position for the choke. From there, I showed a shoulder lock from the shoulder choke position when the opponent defends by "answering the phone." We then rolled/sparred, with one person starting in mount each time. A couple guys from different gyms showed up, and it was fun training with people with different styles.

Friday
Downtown Gold's

Hypertrophy
Bench: 1X15 with 205. 10X5 with 155 at a controlled cadence.
BOR: 5X10 with 100 at a controlled cadence
Lat Pulldown: 5X10 with 160
Decline Push Ups: 2X10 with BW
Core
Crunches: 1X50 with BW (to earn a badge)
My Gym to Rainbow to Harrison/back
Conditioning
Run: 3 miles in 25:23 PR!

Hell yeah!

Last edited:
Saturday
Downtown Gold's

Rehab
Squats: 9X8 with 135, 1X16 with 135
1 Leg KB RDL's: 3X5/leg with 30 lbs
Core
Isometric Crunch on GHR: 5X10 with 25 lbs.
Straight Leg Raise: 5X5 with BW

Last edited:
Saturday
Downtown Gold's

Rehab
Squats: 9X8 with 135, 1X16 with 135
1 Leg KB RDL's: 3X5/leg with 30 lbs
Core
Isometric Crunch on GHR: 5X10 with 25 lbs.
Straight Leg Raise: 5X5 with BW

I was crunched for time, so I rushed through a rehab leg workout and a core workout. For some reason, this song generates nostalgia as well as fuels a solid workout.

Deftones - Change (In The House Of Flies) [Offici…:

Last edited:
Monday
Downtown Gold's

Strength
Deadlifts: 3X5 with 315. Double overhand. First time deadlifting with moderate weight since my biceps got jacked.
Hypertrophy
Standing Armstrong's: 5X10 with 50's
(superset)
DB BOR's: 5X10 with 50's

Harrison Parkway Park
Calisthenics/Conditioning
Push Ups, Lunges, Squats, Running, Good Mornings ATFT: 25:00 with BW

Little reminder: The comp ends in less than a month, so pay a visit to the team log.

Tuesday
Competitive Edge

Hypertrophy/Jiujitsu Circuit: 8 Times Through
Hammerstrength Bench: 8X10 with 185 (chains)
TRX Inverted Row: 8X10 with BW
Jiujitsu: 8X4:00

Nogi
After the circuit, Arlo and I rolled for about half an hour. I kept getting him with the straight arm lock, which is funny because I've never done that to him before.

My lifting has been somewhat uninspired, primarily because I can't kick ass due to injury limitations AND I'm running more regularly which cuts in to my lifting gains as well.

I probably need to start up my favorite strength routine: Pick a heavy ass weight. Lift it once, then twice, then three times. Add more weight: Lift that once, then twice, then three times. Repeat until you can't get whatever the prescribed number of reps is with that weight.

The idea behind starting with one rep and building up to three has something to do with letting your central nervous system acclimate to the weight, yielding more power output. This is a much better approach than picking a heavy weight, then hitting three reps and working down to one rep with that same weight.

Last edited:
Wednesday
My Gym to Harrison to 21st to Rainbow to My Gym

Conditioning
Run: 3 miles in 30:43

I took a more leisurely pace than last time I ran this three mile route. Also, I hit a STRONG canyon wind for about 1.5 miles of it.

Thursday evening: No jiujitsu today, as I had to get my car repaired. I'm definitely feeling askew.

Last edited:
Friday
Downtown Gold's

Hypertrophy/Endurance
OHP: 12X5 with 110
(superset)
BOR: 12X5 with 110
Dips: 2X8 with BW

Pull Ups: 2X12, 10, 8 with BW
(superset)
Pull Down: 2X12, 10, 8 with 180, 160, 140 Did some drop sets.

Wide Grip Behind Neck Pull Down: 2X12, 10, 8 with 140, 120, 100.

T-Bar Row: 2XAMRAP Strip n' Go with 155 down to 75

Pendlay Row: 5X5 with 155

Last edited:
Saturday
Westside Academy

Nogi
We learned some details on the clamp choke; something I've been wanting to refine. Well, today it worked! I managed to clamp choke somebody and got the finish, and then I clamp choked another guy, he defended, but it opened up another submission. I have a new toy!

Monday morning: Whoa. I turn 33 tomorrow! That came up quick. I better figure out my gym party.

Last edited:
Monday
Downtown Gold's

PreBirthday Workout
Bench: 1X33 with 135
Inverted Row: 1X33 with BW
Squat: 2X33 with BW
Core
Glute Ham Sit Up: 1X33 with BW
Standing Ab Wheel: 11X3 with BW
Circuit: 33 times through
Run: 1 lap in 0:45
Push Ups: 10 with BW
Neutral Grip Pull Up: 3 with BW

I'm not sure what my time frame will be like tomorrow, so I made sure to get some 33'ish type exercise in today. That circuit smoked me! Fun shit.

Back