Snatch: 4 sets 6 reps
BOR: 4 sets of 12-15 reps
Pull Ups: 4 sets of 12-15 reps
Inverted Row: 4 sets 12-15
DB Curl: 3 sets 12-15
DB Preacher: 3 sets 12-15

Last edited:
Wednesday December 29th
Strength Endurance (2 min. rest between sets)
DB SOHP: 3X12-15 with 35's
Hang Clean: 4X6 with 135, 155, 165, 185
DB Flat: 3X12-15 with 70's
Dips: 3X12-15 with BW (210)
Cable Triceps Ext.: 3X12-15 with 90 lbs

Conditioning
1/2 mile jog

Man, I really did some damage over the Christmas vacation. Good to get back on track though.

Thursday
Strength Conditioning
1.5 mile run at 10 minute pace
Standing Overhead Squat: 3X12-15 with 45 lbs.
Floor Sweepers: 3X15 with 135
Back Ext.: 3X15 with BW
Bridge: 3 sets of 60 seconds
Incline Sit Up: 3X15 with BW

Nogi Jiujitsu
No formal instruction, just rolled tonight. We did focus on getting to your feet if you are stuck on the bottom. I won matches by kimura, arm bar, wristlock, and knee lock. I lost matches by armbar, kimura, and wristlock.

I had some karma come back and bite me. When I wristlocked one of the guys I was training with, I cracked up and made the comment, "Sorry man, wristlocks are just funny." (we're friends, I promise I am not a dick) One of the other guys in class heard me say that, and wrist locked the guy he was training with right after me and said, "Jeff, wristlocks ARE funny." He then shot me a look, friendly, but with serious intentions.

My next match with that guy, he was hell bent on wrist locking me... and he got it. Damn him. Everybody laughed and said to me, "What were you saying about wristlocks being funny?" I got up and had to laugh at myself.

Lesson learned: Don't talk shit, even playfully when somebody much better than you is within earshot.

Friday
Strength
Snatch: 4X6 with 135 for 3 sets, and 155 for the last set
Olympic Ring Pullups: 3X12-15 with BW
BOR: 3X12-15 with 115
Beast Bar Curl with Chains: 3X12 with ?
Inverted Row: 3X12-15 with BW
DB Preacher Curl: 3X15 with 30's

Workout felt good. I was pressed for time, but got through everything I needed to.

Monday
Strength Endurance
Hang Clean: 4X6 with 145, 165, 185, 205
DB SOHP: 3X15 with 35's
DB Flat: 3X15 with 70's
Dips: 3X15 with BW (215)
Cable (Back pad) Triceps Ext.: 3X12-15 with 35-45 lbs
DB Decline Fly: 3X15 with 30's

BJJ
We drilled Hip Toss, Body Lock, and Double Leg take downs. Painful day. Good, but painful. We rolled a little at the end, and I lost by omoplata and what would have amounted to a loss on points.

Wow!...No wonder your so damn beefy!...I'm gonna have to start copying some of your workouts.

Yours in christ,
Fingers

Wednesday January 5th, 2011
Core Strength and Conditioning
1.5 mile run at 10 min. pace
Saxon Side Bends: 3X12 with 10 lb. DB's
Standing Overhead Squat: 3X15 with 45 lbs.
Decline Sit ups/Controlled Cadence: 3X15 with BW
Roll Outs: 3X15 with BW (knees)
1 mile run at 10 min. pace

Those Saxon Side Bends are nasty. My form went to hell on the third set, but I managed to get through them. I'll go up in weight on my SOS's; my technique is solid. My running is still pretty labored. I'm too heavy right now.

Thursday
Strength Endurance
Snatch: 4X6 with 135, 155, 155, and 165
Pull ups: 3X15 with BW
BOR: 3X12-15 with 115
BB Curl: 3X15 with 60 (controlled cadence)
Back Extension: 3X15 with BW+10lb medicine ball overhead
DB Preacher Curl: 3X15 with 25 (minimal rest between arms)

I was pressed for time, as I had to get to jiujitsu class. I got everything in. Killer day. My endurance isn't where I want it yet, therefore, I think I'll add another week or two of this structure prior to beginning hypertrophy training. I'm really liking the Oly Lifts!

Nogi Jiujitsu
My instructor showed a cool way to finish an arm lock from guard if your opponent stacks you. If you're getting stacked, you basically roll underneath the guy in an almost "inverted guard." You end up coming out the other side and can finish the lock.
I had a fun day, but got my ass kicked. I won matches by fat boy choke/cradle, and kimura from guard. Ready for the losses? I lost by inverted heel hook, guillotine, arm lock, toe fold, triangle (figure four for the Bayless guys), and probably what would have amounted to a loss on points.

On the bright side, I got full mount and held it for a while on a guy I've never been able to come close to a dominant position before. Granted, he came back and heel hooked me but still cool. I also used the hitch hiker escape for the first time in my life on another really good dude. Not bad for my first time against a purple belt that might as well be a brown belt.

Wednesday January 12th
Recovery
I got sick Friday night, and today is the first day I've felt at least 85%. My goal has been to not work out if my own "body scan" doesn't yield at least an 85%, and it's served me well.
Today's workout was not worth reporting any details on. I warmed up, and did a total body workout. I used between 40% and 50% 1RM on all lifts, and went half assed with even that light of load. I basically wanted to keep my body remembering it has work to do without overtaxing my immune system. We'll see if I'm healthy enough for jiujitsu tomorrow.

Thursday
Conditioning
Mile run, 9:30 pace.
NOGI Jiujitsu
No instructor, we just rolled. I had a pretty good night. I won matches by kimura from half guard, knee bar from half guard (used my own legs), americana from mount, inverted heel hook from 50/50 (I think). I lost one by guillotine. Fun night. I had two all out wars. I think two of those matches went a combined 40 minutes. Ridiculous!

Friday
Strength-Explosiveness Training
1/2 mile run at 9:00 pace
Power Cleans: 4X6 with 145, 185, 205, 225
Push Press: 4X6 with 135, 155, 175, 185
Pull Ups with Cadence: 4X10 with BW
Saxon Side Bends: 3X10 per side with 8 lbs/side
Roll Outs with cadence (Standing eccentric, kneeling concentric): 3X6 with BW
Back Extensions: 3X15 with BW

The Power Cleans felt good. I feel like they're helping my jiujitsu game, especially my guard passing. Saulo Ribiero shows a pass in which you have double bicep control. You spring to both feet keeping bicep control and pop your hips forward aggressively. Cleans seem to help this pass.

Saturday
Nogi Jiujitsu
Open mat. I had a pretty good day. I won matches by shoulder choke, RNC, straight arm lockX2, and arm bar. I lost one by neck crank. I did a one round shark tank and got smoked, but it was fun!

Monday January 17th 2011
Hypertrophy
Warmup: 3 supersets of :BW Row and Dynamic Pushups
Superset 1
DB Incline Press: 3X12/12/10 with 100 lb DB's
One Arm Barbell Row: 3X12/12/8 with 135 lbs
Superset 2
DB Flat Press: 3X12/8/10 with 100 lb DB's
DB Row: 3X12/12/8 with 100 lb DB's
(Last set of DB Flat did a drop set to 80 lbs, then 20 pushups)
Incline Fly: 2X12 with ? weight

I will be sore tomorrow. That is all.

BJJ
Got worked today. I think the heavy weight lifting tuckered me out. I won a match by RNC, lost by some gi choke, arm bar, and Ezekial. The other matches were even.

Wednesday
Strength
Warmup: 1/2 mile run at 9 min. pace. Light squats.
Squats: 4X6 with 275, 295, 315, 315
Lunges: 4X6 per leg with 110
Leg Curl: 4X6 with 110, 140, 170, 200
Leg Ext with controlled cadence: 4X6 with 150
Calf Raise on Stair: 4X12 per leg with BW
Incline Sit Up with Controlled Cadence: 3X12 with BW
Saxon Side Bends: 2X6 per side with 12's

Thursday
Nogi
Instructor showed some ninja shit. When you have somebody's back and have one of their arms barred, they'll typically tuck their other arm against their head as a means of blocking the RNC. Shoot your arm under their "blocking" arm and finish with a D'arce. Or, instead of the D'arce, finish with a gable grip shoulder choke.

I stalemated one guy tonight, and lost twice to another guy by neck crank and arm lock. The guy that beat me told me my positioning and movement is improving, so there's some silver lining to getting decimated by the same dude yet again.

Friday
Competitive Edge Combat
Warm up: unknown name (jiujitsu warm up out of Galvao's book)
DB Clean and Jerk: 35X2 (per arm) Five pound increments from 25 lbs to 100 lbs and back down to 25 lbs. F***ing brutal.
Pull ups with 2 second dead hang: 5X8 with BW
Front Squat: Tabata Style for four minutes with 65 lbs.
BB Lunge: 2X Parking Lot (40 yards?) with 45 lbs.
Overhead BB Sprint: 2X Parking Lot (40 yards?) with 45 lbs.
Plate Pinch: 2X1 minute with 25 lb. plate

This workout was fun as hell! Cool atmosphere and training philosophy.

Saturday
Nogi
We learned two different ways to attack the turtle. One way is to move to his side, cross face the guy and grab his far side tricep with one hand and far side ankle with your other hand and drive through. The other way is to move to his side, post one hand on his head, grab his ankle with the other and drive your head in to their ribs bow and arrow style.

I had a chance to try these moves out, and it worked 2/3 times! I was on point today. I won three matches by kimura, one by D'arce, and one arm lock from guard.

Is that a mullet wig? I originally thought it was like a coon skin cap a while ago, then you dissapeared.

Back