The way Volk won tonight will go a lot way to earning him meaningful respect

taugrim

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
*long

It would have been one thing if Volk just picked T-City apart on the feet.

But the walk Volk survived those 2 VERY tight subs in the 3rd and battered T-City after that in the same round was an incredible display of both heart and championship mettle.

Of all the changes that came with the WEC merger, the addition of the Featherweight division to the UFC is by far the best.

It’s crazy how willing he was to engage Ortega on the ground

Volk only got in trouble because T-City pounced on that neck, and later in the round Volk got a bit careless with the legs being thrown up.

With that said, Volk did his most damage with the GnP.

Max did it better.

People will forget about Ortega after a year and he'll be relegated to gatekeeper status.

It will do nothing because most casuals have no clue what they are actually watching.

Not too many guys other than T City would have survived that beating. I knew volk was pissed off and he was extra motivated to put it on Ortega...but i didnt expect it to be like this. Goddamn.

Max did it better.

People will forget about Ortega after a year and he'll be relegated to gatekeeper status.

I don't know why they even rushed him back to a title shot in the frist place. Get beat up by max, take 2 years off then beat zombie and back to the title?

He's gonna have to win 10 in a row now to get a 3rd title shot.

Max did it better.

Nobody will ever forget about that kid, he's one of the single toughest people to ever be in combat sports

Not too bright, not by a longshot, but his chin & his ability to absorb copious amounts of bodily punishment is the type of stuff that people will be talking about 20 years from now

what an absurd assertion

He's earned respect a long time ago, the overwhelming majority of people who dislike Volk have no real reason, they're just Max fanboys.

Nobody will ever forget about that kid, he's one of the single toughest people to ever be in combat sports

When T-City pounced on that mounted guillotine I was sure that the fight was over. Especially when Volk could only kick his legs. His entire upper body was flat on the mat. That's just an awful situation to be in.

I don't think I've ever seen a champ survive 2 tight submissions in the same round and still have the wind to GnP his opponent later in the same round like Volk did.

Maybe Bendo vs Cerrone 1.

I don't know why they even rushed him back to a title shot in the frist place. Get beat up by max, take 2 years off then beat zombie and back to the title?

He's gonna have to win 10 in a row now to get a 3rd title shot.

I doubt it. He's a proven draw, he is over with the female demo, great looking kid, and seems to always get fasttracked by the promotion.

However, he is obviously going to have to take ample time off after this.

Max did it better.

Volk fought a better version of Ortega, and arguably dished out more damage. Max put the numbers on Ortega for sure, but when volk hit him it was a thund that shook his whole damn head and body. Max just did more damage to the eyes and gassed ortega out.

Last edited:
When T-City pounced on that mounted guillotine I was sure that the fight was over. Especially when Volk could only kick his legs. His entire upper body was flat on the mat. That's just an awful situation to be in.

I don't think I've ever seen a champ survive 2 tight submissions in the same round and still have the wind to GnP his opponent later in the same round like Volk did.

Maybe Bendo vs Cerrone 1.

The Benderson/Cerrone fight is the only one that comes to mind immediately, yes. I'm sure there are others, but you'd have to deep dive

I, however, did not think that Ortega was going to put him away with those submissions. Like Ortega said, Volk's neck is like a tree trunk. He didn't look phased whatsoever when he was stuck in those holds. He chilled out & let Ortega burn himself out, and countered immediately.

I'd really like to see Ortega get his a$$ into the weight room, he needs to strengthen badly. Doesn't seem like they focus much on strength training at all with him. Even after all this time in the sport, he still looks so soft/weak. His striking has improved, but his body/overall strength has sort of stagnated

Volk fought a better version of Ortega, and arguably dished out more damage. Max put the numbers on Ortega for sure, but when volk hit him it was a thund that shook his whole damn head and body. Max just did more damage to the eyes.

Max finished him though. TKO win. Ortega didn't even get off the stool for round 5.

In this fight Ortega was fighting back round 5

Back