The way to learn is to teach?

Coach Couzo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In 2005 ADCC, Roger Gracie submitted all 8 world-class opponents in his weight division and the absolute division, recorded the fastest submission of the entire competition, and was named the Most Technical Fighter.

His advice:

We run a small club, and I've taken on a lot of the teaching duties over the last 4 weeks. In just that short period of time I've seen phenomenal improvements in my game. Everything that he's saying is true.

Worst learning modality = sitting and listening to a lecture. Best learning modality = teaching a concept or skill to another person. Reason being is that teaching is the most intense type of "active learning" that one can do.

We run a small club, and I've taken on a lot of the teaching duties over the last 4 weeks. In just that short period of time I've seen phenomenal improvements in my game. Everything that he's saying is true.

Worst learning modality = sitting and listening to a lecture. Best learning modality = teaching a concept or skill to another person. Reason being is that teaching is the most intense type of "active learning" that one can do.

2-a days of no gi grappling for 2 months at renzo's with high quality training partners is the answer to his performance in ADCC.

I agree. Teaching helps because it really forces you to think about what you do and why. Best way to find the small flaws in your game.

scorcho said:
I agree. Teaching helps because it really forces you to think about what you do and why. Best way to find the small flaws in your game.

Definitely. When you show someone a technique and they turn round and ask you 'yeah but why do you do such and such...' Then you are forced to analyse why it is the way it is and you often learn something new yourself that never occurred to you before. Or someone struggles with a particular technique and you have to analyse what it is they are doing or not that hampers them. Then you may realise it was something quite subtle that you 'naturally' do but you could augment and improve your game.

I've just started running a begginers class once a week at my club, and it's been great for me, because I've had to go back over the very basics, which is something I really need. There's too many bullshit moves in my game.
So, yes, I think it's a legitimate way to learn.
That's why I'm doing the class, to review the basics
(yes, I'm a selfish bastard)
:p

teaching has definitely helped me - a lot of the basics become instinctive after a while, but that doesn't mean that your implicit knowledge is not without flaws. teaching a beginner's class has forced me to re-analyze my basic techniques and has refreshed my knowledge and skill regarding solid, fundamental techniques that i tend to disfavor.

this is a pretty universal principle that isn't confined to bjj. i have a b.a. from an ivy league university, so i would like to think that my command of the english language is pretty solid, but sadly, it wasn't until i taught 2nd grade for a few years that i really solidified my knowledge of basic grammar and language principles.

sakufan said:
2-a days of no gi grappling for 2 months at renzo's with high quality training partners is the answer to his performance in ADCC.
those were good times...

Roger wasnt the fastest submission in ADCC... It was Leo Santos with a 43 sec win against GSP. Roger beat telles in 53

Back