The Way of Pain: JRT6's war training log

Got home from working out and upon seeing my face Demon Spawn #1 asked me:

"Daddy did you get beat up again?"

I'm hitting 5 reps a set in 9 seconds for the first few sets of the ring/blast strap pushups. I"ve decided not add the mini band as i think the load on my elbows and shoulders are enough. I'm going to just try to ram out as many reps in each 9 sec sets with 30 seconds rest as I can.

Good news about BJJ is that it is coming along nicely. i'm not advancing as well as some but I puting in hours of video study so I'm devopling ather elements that will come together at some point.

Good/Bad news was that today no-one could pass my side position and I only got srmbared on a poorly timed set up. The BAD new is that every one was trying to pass my side guard from my right side which worked out my elbow much more that I set out to do at any one time.. The elbow wasn't noticed till I took off my elbow heat wrap and yes it was lsrge, not s

i'm not advancing as well as some but I puting in hours of video study so I'm devopling ather elements that will come together at some point.

Why do you feel you are not advancing as well as some others?

I can barely read what I wrote in my last two posts.

Simple answer is that I don't learn physcial tasks as fast as others. Everyone is getting stripes but me. I'm tense, hold my breath and am as corridinated as a pregnant baboon. In football I was last string in 8th grade but by my senior year I was starting and getting college prospects. When I learn something I lean it.

Another problem is I can't roll as much as the others because of my physical limitations. I was really on the verge of a major freakout when my elbow swealled up. Five rounds of live grappling was just too much. At least I didn't get armbarred (on that arm). I'm supprised my elbow swelled up but then again it may just as well have mostly been a muscle pump. I wish I had just left my Gi on and I would probably have never been the wiser.

I'm nailing 2 rep sets with the mini band on the ring pushups now. Love those things.

Grappling progress has taken a serious jump this past week. I wrote down in my notebook some of the techniques and counters used against me and spent hours researching tutorials. I then went to my old mma school and drilled some. Suprised some people.

I got that Power Training book by Mens Health on order. I keep hearing it has outstanding routine construction templates and I'm ready for something new.

I SAVED A LIFE! just another day on the job ma'am:

IMG_0206.jpg

I have a physcial agility test coming up and by contract I don't have to pass only participate. There is no incentive for passing whatsoever other than a free shirt that says basicaly shoot me on it. They could at least pay some of my BJJ tuition. I have two problems with passing this test:

1. It has a 1.5mile run and distance unning is not good for me. Plus I hate running distance.

2. I'm real passive agressive on this because they make us take this test for our health yet make us work a 28 day shift rotation for " the good of the city" which has resulted in numerous health problems for me not the least of which is my $500- a month mood medication.

On the other hand I'm a hyper competitive motherfucker in all things phsyical and as Hatebreed says "I will be heard".

SOOOOOOO, maybe, just maybe, I willl train for this run.

Front squating is going ok but I think I'm not going to able to hold much more than 300 for few reps. That's ok 300 on the bar is still 300. Push press is going really good too.

I changed this week to a Relson BJJ school for a few reasons and I think the simpler style of JJ is much better suited for my body type and skill set. Plus they drill a set of moves for the whole week whoch is a big big help for me. The school is cheap too. I got my second white belt stripe and should make blue by the end of the year providing I don't get stupid.

I changed BJJ gyms to a Relson school because it's class schedule is better for me and I got the pleasant suprise of finding a style that much better suits me. Cheaper too but my last gym is still a great place and I will go there often enough to keep myself known.

With my getting into the new gym much more often I'm thinking about changing my fight plans from MT to BJJ. I have the kicks and punches down as well the best in the area but I still have no game. No game, no fight other than me getting my face stomped in.

Like Keith said there would be a limit i could the front squat with strapes and for me that is at 300lbs for 2 reps. No problem, I tried it with two 50lb vests on and was able to hold a 185 bar loaded weight for a set of 10. Barely. The 285 for ten reps was not as hard in the grip as before but easy enough on the legs and not to be a concern. I'm confident that I cen get the grip work up to enough of a standard that at least doing 405 for 1, or some rep estimitation will be possible. I will do another video to show progress.

Gotta quite pissing around with my conditioning.

One of the cool things about Relson schools is that Relson makes a few trips each year to his schools. He is one hard-ass and cool dude. I was lucky enough to start training in Hawaii under one of his brown and eventually black belts. Relson would come to our school from time to time, and soetimes we would go over to the main academy to train. Definitely quality instruction.

JRT have you tried doing push ups with extra weight? I have tried weighted push ups today with 5-45s plates stacked on top of my back and it felt very natural and more easy on my joints.....feet elevated would make balancing plates more easy....only downside is you need a person to place the plates and maybe lightly hold them so they dont slide....but still...

JRT have you tried doing push ups with extra weight? I have tried weighted push ups today with 5-45s plates stacked on top of my back and it felt very natural and more easy on my joints.....feet elevated would make balancing plates more easy....only downside is you need a person to place the plates and maybe lightly hold them so they dont slide....but still...

These have replaced bench. Since this video I have worked to either adding a mini band, going sets of ten with the two 50lb vests or trying to do as many reps as I can in each 9 sec set.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i59.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid59.photobucket.com/albums/g284/JRT6/MVI_0192.flv">

One of the cool things about Relson schools is that Relson makes a few trips each year to his schools. He is one hard-ass and cool dude. I was lucky enough to start training in Hawaii under one of his brown and eventually black belts. Relson would come to our school from time to time, and soetimes we would go over to the main academy to train. Definitely quality instruction.

The things I like best detail wise is that we drill one postion the whole week so I get in a ton reps in techniques that are related rather than say half guard on Monday and standing sweeps on tuesday. The techniques too are simpler and much more getting hit in the head oriented than my almost purely BJJ sport oriented last school. Not to say there is anything wrong with that, it's just not my focus right now.

I'mi going on vacation so all yous will have to carry on here without me for the next 7 days.

i'm still on vacation but i'm taking the time ti write this on a trio because I scored three times today! at 37 yrs old.

Quick update;
I got three stripes on my white belt and should be a blue by the fall. I'm very excitecd because I'm going to 4-5 classes a week and bustin my ass. My MT is on total hold.

I squated 325 for 20 reps today to parallel but ATG isn't going anywhere. Rather than stubbing my dick into the concrete I'm thinking of staying at parallel in the squat and cycling in and out of the 315-365 range for 15-20 reps and working ATG on stuff like split squats. I need to do more unilateral work for sports performance and I'm never going to get anywhere near setting a PR on the squat again anyway. I need to get back to the sandbag front squats. My goal going into summer was to improve and maintain in an array of exercises instead of getting into a rut on a few and I need to refocus on that. When I step back and think about it my squat is damn good for someone of my age and health and I need to smell the roses on that. Maybe a 325 for 15-20 one set warmup for other leg exercises would be they way to go. If I'm successful and still doing that at 60 then I'll really be hanging with the kids.

My flexibility is getting better.

My new rower is kicking ass but my joints can't take it as my primary conditioning tool. Once again the plan is diversity in my programing.

I have added explosive movements back into my workouts for the first time since college. I'm limited on what I can do and how much weight I can use but the hang cleans, jump squat, dumbell snatch, and a couple of others are rather fun and my wife noticed a difference in my traps. The Dos book got me going on these and they have breathed new life into my workouts.

Blast strap pushups are off the hook. I'm wearing two vests totalling 100lbs and using the harder mini band by JS for some serious reps. I think this exercise is as good as it needs to be so I won't push my luck joint wise. I"m very happy with this.

I want to add that my new motto is: "I will be heard" I will be heard through my actions in life and the people I affect. I will be heard and remembered by the blood, the sweat and the tears. Form the help of my family and friends on whose strength I depend on and through actions I will reflect. I will make a postive difference in this world and I will be heard.

My wife is my hero and she is the strongest person I know. Anything less on my part would be cowardly and selfish.

Back