The way of Conor McGreggor. The future is now. Amazing new HL!

I covered it a while back, made a GIF too (to support him, not hate on him). :wink:

McGregor's most obvious mistake in the DP fight that didn't cost him

[YT]FYv0l8_f-MM[/YT]​

He punches a 932 in that video and breaks the previous high score. Sherdog even covered it back when he did it. :p ...

UFC Newcomer Conor McGregor Bests High Score on Boxing Game

Thank you for sharing! Really cool vid! And I just read your thread. Good insight. You know your stuff too : )

I noticed it as soon as it happened live. I was like "no, come on Conor." Ive never seen Conor make a mistake like that. I was very suprised

Dustin also DID everything he was supposed to. He countered with a right hook over Conor's shot as Conor was over extended

Yet it bounced off Conor's shoulder because Conor changed head slots with his punch and had his chin tucked behind his shoulder (than Conor circled out and reset the tempo)

EVEN when Conor makes a mistake he corrects himself to avoid and maintains defensive responsibility. Thats what made me go wow too.

Pretty wild. Conor is like Ali in skill too.

I mean Dustin did everything right, yet no real success came from it

When an opponent does what hes supposed to yet still doesnt find success thats when you know....Conor is truly something special...

BUT I hope Conor patches up the flaw completely...

Because its now on tape and other opponents could now be waiting for Conor to do that and pounce right away...someone like Aldo could pick up on it and be ready to exploit if Conor over extends to the body from out of range again

Im confident Conor wont make the same mistake again.Conor is the type of special athlete whos always learning and improving

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing! Really cool vid! And I just read your thread. Good insight. You know your stuff too : )

I noticed it as soon as it happened live. I was like "no, come on Conor." Ive never seen Conor make a mistake like that. I was very suprised

Dustin also DID everything he was supposed to. He countered with a right hook over Conor's shot as Conor was over extended

Yet it bounced off Conor's shoulder because Conor changed head slots with his punch and had his chin tucked behind his shoulder (than Conor circled out and reset the tempo)

EVEN when Conor makes a mistake he corrects himself to avoid and maintains defensive responsibility. Thats what made me go wow too.

Pretty wild. Conor is like Ali in skill too.

I mean Dustin did everything right, yet no real success came from it

When an opponent does what hes supposed to yet still doesnt find success thats when you know....Conor is truly something special...

BUT I hope Conor patches up the flaw completely...

Because its now on tape and other opponents could now be waiting for Conor to do that and pounce right away...someone like Aldo could pick up on it and be ready to exploit if Conor over extends to the body from out of range again

Im confident Conor wont make the same mistake again.Conor is the type of special athlete whos always learning and improving

Yeah, when Conor threw that left cross to the body he had his lead shoulder up (shoulder lead/roll) and kept it there, as you can see, which was smart. He knew that the other side of his chin however was unprotected and if Dustin could land a left he could be in some trouble... so what he did there was rolled with it, just at the end of the punch. It's telling how good with measuring distance he is, he has it down to inches in precision.

The guy is pretty amazing. I've analyzed a lot of what he does, both in the standup and his grappling and I'm really impressed. Nobody is doing this type of high level shit aside from legends like Anderson who mastered rolling with punches and using the shoulder roll against his opponents. Conor can be seen using just about every defensive technique in the book, different types of evasive defense and standard. I'd say that he probably is the best striker we've seen in MMA to date, so I agree. He's not weak in a single area of his standup.

Yeah, when Conor threw that left cross to the body he had his lead shoulder up (shoulder lead/roll) and kept it there, as you can see, which was smart. He knew that his other however was unprotected and if Dustin could land a left he could be in some trouble... so what he did there was rolled with it, just at the end of the punch. It's telling how good with measuring distance he is, he has it down to inches in precision.

The guy is pretty amazing. I've analyzed a lot of what he does, both in the standup and his grappling and I'm really impressed. Nobody is doing this type of high level shit aside from legends like Anderson who mastered rolling with punches and using the shoulder roll against his opponents. Conor can be seen using just about every defensive technique in the book, different types of evasive defense and standard. I'd say that he probably is the best striker we've seen in MMA to date, so I agree. He's not weak in a single area of his standup.

Is that your alt? Lol.

Yeah, when Conor threw that left cross to the body he had his lead shoulder up (shoulder lead/roll) and kept it there, as you can see, which was smart. He knew that the other side of his chin however was unprotected and if Dustin could land a left he could be in some trouble... so what he did there was rolled with it, just at the end of the punch. It's telling how good with measuring distance he is, he has it down to inches in precision.

Conor really is amazing...

This is a dude who could be a high level boxer and who could also be a high level kick boxer and he blends both together beatifully...

Conor is by far the most complete evolved MMA striker ever...Conor is the first time where Ive seen an actual true evolution of MMA...not all the bs fake hype about the whole HW division evolving(only Cain is special and some what JDS) or the fake bs hype about Jon Jones being the "new breed" etc

Last edited:
No. Ask a mod or admin if you don't believe me, they'll check the IP Address.

I'm just messing around, man. I've let you do your thing for a while now without antagonizing.

On thread topic, I don't buy into this whole master of human movement thing. The guys a great striker for MMA standards but still has alot to prove against elite comp. Mike Swick made a very similar run when he first came on the scene...only time will tell.

Also,

Youre right,

After the counter right over the top Conor wouldve been open to a follow up left

BUT after Conor shoulder rolls the counter right, Conor circles out taking away the left to his exposed side

Watching Conor is such a real treat

I can watch his fights for days

Hes agressive YET ALWAYS defensively responsible

I bet hes statistically the least hit fighter in MMA...yet still one of the most offensive. Hes truly amazing

Conor is so freaking skilled, slick, smooth and always aware of distance/his defensive responsibilites etc

Conor is the MOST skilled complete striker MMA has ever seen and ITS NOT even close

Last edited:
Conor really is amazing...

This is a dude who could be a high level boxer and who could also be a high level kick boxer and he blends both together beatifully...

Conor is by far the most complete evolved MMA striker ever...Conor is the first time where Ive seen an actual true evolution of MMA...not all the bs fake hype about the HW division/Jones etc

Ya. There've been some triple threats that were pro boxers, pro kickboxers and pro MMA fighters in the UFC (one of them only had 1 fight and lost), KJ Noons and Kit Cope to name two, but neither has the hands that Conor has and all of the other stuff he has going for him. Noons has decent hands but he isn't even in my Top 10 in MMA for boxing skill. But yeah, neither guy has anything on him when it comes to the hands. Conor's timing is great, his movement is second to none, he uses tempo changes as you mentioned (and I say it a lot too) in order to throw his opponent's timing of his attacks off, he throws out feints, has great footwork and angles, understands distance really well, and of course he has good speed, athleticism, power and creativity. He's really the full package.

I'm just messing around, man. I've let you do your thing for a while now without antagonizing.

On thread topic, I don't buy into this whole master of human movement thing. The guys a great striker for MMA standards but still has alot to prove against elite comp. Mike Swick made a very similar run when he first came on the scene...only time will tell.

I agree, but I rewatched the Holloway fight a couple times and the striking throughout is just spectacular. I mean, he undressed him, over the entire fight, last minute in the second and the third with a torn knee he still was winning standup exchanges. Seeing how well Holloway has progressed makes that win even more impressive, and it was a dominating performance.

I think he has a good shot to beat Aldo standing. Time will tell indeed.

Ya. There've been some triple threats that were pro boxers, pro kickboxers and pro MMA fighters in the UFC (one of them only had 1 fight and lost), KJ Noons and Kit Cope to name two, but neither has the hands that Conor as and all of the other stuff he has going for him. Noons has decent hands but he isn't even in my Top 10 in MMA for boxing skill. But yeah, neither guy has anything on him when it comes to the hands. Conor's timing is great, his movement is second to none, he uses temp changes as you mentioned (and I say it a lot too) in order to throw his opponent's timing of his attacks off, he throws out feints, has great footwork and angles, understands distance really well, and of course he has good speed, athleticism, power and creativity. He's really the full package.

No one in MMA moves like Conor either

My God! 1:35! Never seen that KO before, that was beautiful.

Yup, that's about as pretty as it gets. Slip the punch, sweet short counter left hook, lights out.

Smoooooooooth.

That was the KO that made me think "This guy is special." Of course, level of competition is always a factor, but there are times where you can see greatness regardless of the opponent.

To land a counter that quick and smooth takes real skill.

You dont "buy into it"

Because you dont know the finer details

And cant understand all the little brilliant things Conor does

Youre a casual fan

You dont "buy into it"

Because you dont know the finer details

And cant understand all the little brilliant things Conor does

Youre a casual fan

You're right, man. I just started watching last event.

Yup, that's about as pretty as it gets. Slip the punch, sweet short counter left hook, lights out.

Smoooooooooth.

That was the KO that made me think "This guy is special." Of course, level of competition is always a factor, but there are times where you can see greatness regardless of the opponent.

To land a counter that quick and smooth takes real skill.
What Conor did right there is called the pull away counter

Its an old school boxing technique thats a staple of high level boxers like Floyd and Canelo

The fact Conor is pulling off high level boxing skill like that in MMA is incredible

Conor really is the greatest most evolved striker in MMA ever

He brings it all, high level boxing, high level kick boxing, movement, offense, defense, counters ...all into one in MMA

I was amazed at how much of a supernove all time talent prime healthy Shogun was.

How much Fedor was.

How much Gsp was.

How much Cain and Chris and Pettis are right now

I see the same in Conor now

Regardless if Conor beats Aldo or not Conor will be an all time great if he stays focused

Last edited:
99b58871e-1.jpg

Not only does Jones have PATHETIC boxing, Jones has ZERO combo punching, ZERO countering...Just the way Jones moves and throws as is, IS SO sloppy and akward.

Jones literally has NOTHING but reach, its why hes able to control distance and furthermore, he uses dirty tactics to implement his reach. Im not impessed with Jones skill set at all. Jones is very over rated. Gus was the first PRIME opponent HIS SIZE and we all saw what happened

Conor's striking and movement makes Jones look pathetic by comparison. Thats just how I see it as a life long fan of boxing and REAL TECHNIQUE

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that you're a huge boxing fan, but know comparatively little about grappling?

Yes, Conor is most definitely a smoother striker than Jones. But inversely, Jones is most definitely a better wrestler/grappler than Conor. At least, in proven competition thus far.

Jones just outwrestled an Olympic wrestler. He's outstruck expert strikers (whether it was because of reach is irrelevant, the point is, he did it). He's submitted black belts. He's done it all and he's done it at the highest levels possible.

I'm a big Conor fan too, and it's fine if you prefer him to Jones, but to say that you're completely unimpressed with Jones? That's a bit absurd. IMO, Jones couldn't be more impressive. Neither could Conor.

As an aside, I find the argument about Jones' reach to be an interesting one. Yes, it's an incredible advantage, and it's gift he was born with. But every great fighter has gifts they are born with. Conor, for example, has incredibly fluid movement and impeccable timing, which gives him his KO power. Now, of course, Conor has had to work very hard to maximize his advantages (just as Jones has had to learn to master the use of his reach), but Conor's also obviously got a natural talent. There are plenty of other fighters who could train twice as hard, for twice as long, and would never reach the fluidity and timing of Conor. It's a gift he's born with. But because fluidity and timing are not things you can boil down to a number like reach, people are far more forgiving of it.

I just find it interesting.

You let me huh? :icon_lol: Fair enough.

I remember Swick's run. He has fast hands but was never as technical as Conor. The 'master of movement' talk isn't a gimmick but that buzz phrase is something of a glittering generality that's certainly marketable given the way he can move (and fight). He's calling himself an expert in movement, and he's talking fighting mainly, since techniques are obviously movements themselves (whether they're subtle or major). I do agree with time telling us though. I'm just very inclined to believe that he'll pass the tests. The reason I do believe this is because of how dedicated he is to everything in MMA, he's really passionate about the intricacies and granular technical details.

Also,

Youre right,

After the counter right over the top Conor wouldve been open to a follow up left

BUT after Conor shoulder rolls the counter right, Conor circles out taking away the left to his exposed side

Yep, he entered with the left cross and already had his lead shoulder raised up to help protect the left side of his chin from Dustin's right hand. It wasn't tucked tight behind his shoulder because then he wouldn't have been able to see what he was punching in the first place but it was protected well enough on that side and served it's purpose. After he started to reel himself back into his stance he assumed that Dustin would throw from his other side (Dustin's left hand), which most MMA fighters throw left then right or right then left and rarely lever their punches from the same side, so he anticipated that and rolled/faded/pulled back his head and chin from the punch as it came in (tucking it into his left shoulder to help brace his neck from getting snapped to the side/dilapidated from the blow), which is standard rolling procedure. He made sure that he was on the end of the punch too, enough to where rolling his head/chin with the punch's momentum would succeed and not fail (if Dustin was a bit closer or stepped in then that would've been bad).

Watching Conor is such a real treat

I can watch his fights for days

Hes agressive YET ALWAYS defensively responsible

I bet hes statistically the least hit fighter in MMA

Conor is so freaking skilled, slick, smooth and always aware of distance/his defensive responsibilites etc

Conor is the MOST skilled complete striker MMA has ever seen and ITS NOT even close

Him and Anderson Silva are my two favorites in terms of smooth, fluid, graceful, flowing rhythm and movement. Both are light on their feet, fleet of foot and have really good footwork as well, which is important. You can have the best movement ever and it won't matter if you have shit footwork that's driving that linear and lateral movement. Conor is always in the gym till like 1 AM, he's the most dedicated I've seen since GSP.

Im not sure if Connor is really that good of a kicker. He is not bad, but not elite in his kicks.

Back