Law Affirmative Action Abolished: U.S Supreme Court Outlaws Racial Discrimination In College Admissions.

Finally a post from you i can agree with.

The finnish knows by the time a kid is 16 if he is college material, if he isnt then he is channeled into vocational, so he can learn a trade and become a productive and well paid member of society.

Meanwhile the US is trying to make college professors out of hood boyz. Of course its going to fail.

My wife is from Korea and she talks about the education problem in Korea all the time. She said ridiculous amounts of money and time are spent on teaching students English and yet barely anyone in the country speak English, even after all the hours they spend learning it. Countries like Sweden and Finland spend far less time and money on learning English and yet most of the population can speak both their native language and English.

It seems like the Scandinavian model would be a far more reasonable model to follow when it comes to education than the East Asian model, which is extremely inefficient.

Canada is still in the top of the charts when it comes to education. It has declined because a lot of a brutal lowering of standards, but Canada has for many years been in at least the top 5 countries and does not spend nearly as much time in the classroom as East Asian countries. Canada has some excellent Universities. It does not matter too much which University you go to in Canada, you will get a decent education.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shrugs. No doubt that the Asian way is not the optimal way. I don't even personally like it myself but I cannot disagree that it is effective at churning out people who attain good education and well-paying jobs later on.

On a western nation of course, when applied in asia it only leaves emasculated men, low birth rates and a high suicide rate.

most of the Ivy League bound nerds from my HS- the virginal shut-ins with no social life type- are now living picture perfect lives. High paying job, likeminded professional wife, huge homes, lavish parties, and jetsetting around the world. I've heard rumors of several of them involved in high-end wifeswapping/sex party type deals with other professionals. And I know for a fact some are on TRT/juice/nootropics [moldafinil, amphetamines, pscyhedelics]. They are making up for their lost teenage years with a VENGEANCE, and doing it better than we ever could.

The nerds do have the last laugh in this case.

I can still beat em up tho.

Yes, those that actually manage to enter the Ivy league, a lot of them cant.

Well, unfortunately, I need to bow out of this thread as I am running out of time. I apologize in advance since I cannot reply to some of the posts here.

Japan is also one of the most ineffective in the workplace. They work more hours than the west yet get less done. Compare that to Germany, the best economy in Europe yet they work less hours than the French. We should strive to be efficient. Japan is not a good example to follow.

I think thats a culture thing, not an incompetence thing. They want to show how loyal they are to the company and don't want to be the first one going home. I don't think it has anything to with education.

And to the other poster asking relative to what I'm not sure what you mean. I was basing the success of Asian nations on the GDP if that's what you meant.

I'm actually more of a fan of the Finnish model. I think its the most logical. I defend Asian ways of doing things because I think in terms of success it works as least as well as the west. I think we will find that out. But ideally we should follow the Finnish way. Have bright minds teach the youth. Teaching should be an elite position.

I know a lot of east asians from my studies and it seems to be more about doing well on tests than actually trying to learn something. The a students may have better grades than me, but from working with them on different projects i can tell you they don't perform better than the average B/C student.

Exactly, it is basically about trying to please the teachers, and winning the favor or your "superiors"

These "geniuses" don't need your social skill to take care of their own children like their parents did for them.

What you should be focus on is this:

After they worked their asses off and got their success in life like their parents said they would, I reckon these Asian-Americans probably would have both the time and money to enjoy life however they want.

Don't be surprised if those "nerdy kids" you grew up with have now vacationed in more countries than you can name.

Asians kids who grew up in the states are not like their parents from Asia, and lack social skills. I doubt it will turn out the same for the next gen asian american.

And there is a serious misconception that all those Asian kids do really good in school. The ones that excel, excel, but the ones that dont, well . . . . . . .

Having grown up in the NYC metro, I can tell you there are plenty of non-studious asian kids, plenty of them.

1.- Actually you do need social skills in pretty much every field of life, even some of the hard sciences require some degree of social skills.

2.- LOL because the rat race stops at your 20s? 30s? what you actually end up is a man whose entire existence is validated by success so any rock they stumble upon in life leads to their whole life crashing, no fucking wonder asian nations have such low birth rates and suicides.

3.- Life doesnt rewards work for the sake of work either, how many self-made billionaires said "well i did nothing but study all my life and then money just came out of the ceiling" they certainly worked hard, but they were their own guide and they had their own goals, not an standarized test.

And nowadays these self made networked their way to the top. You do need social skills for that.

No, I don't agree. What are you basing that claim on? Some study, a poll?

Lmao! of course you wouldn't...

I would suggest you examine the literacy rates of all these countries, and then the graduation rates, I would then examine the level of poverty, homelessness and standards of living, median salaries etc.

it's not racist or ethnocentric to identify pretty clear truths...when it comes down to Education, countries like Japan, Sinagpore, Korea do embrace it, accentuate the importance of it more than other nations, like Mexico for example.

most of the Ivy League bound nerds from my HS- the virginal shut-ins with no social life type- are now living picture perfect lives. High paying job, likeminded professional wife, huge homes, lavish parties, and jetsetting around the world. I've heard rumors of several of them involved in high-end wifeswapping/sex party type deals with other professionals. And I know for a fact some are on TRT/juice/nootropics [moldafinil, amphetamines, pscyhedelics]. They are making up for their lost teenage years with a VENGEANCE, and doing it better than we ever could.

The nerds do have the last laugh in this case.

I can still beat em up tho.

The Ivy league is not mostly nerdy types except maybe MIT. Harvard and Yale and the like is filled kids from well connected families, and prep schools.

Last edited:
The Ivy league is mostly nerdy types except maybe MIT. Harvard and Yale and the like is filled kids from well connected families, and prep schools.
I'm aware that a large percentage of Ivy League students are legacy admissions and children from powerful families. But my anecdote referred to the hard-working immigrant children with no social lives.

I'm aware that a large percentage of Ivy League students are legacy admissions and children from powerful families. But my anecdote referred to the hard-working immigrant children with no social lives.

I understand and I hate those fucking kids

On another note, Japan actually send a delegate of young teachers to my niece's elite Elementary school in middle-class Orange County (consistently ranking in the Top 5 in California) each year to observe how us Americans teach our kids, especially in regards to fun-yet-educational class projects, group activities to build teamworks, and assignments that hones their self-confidence and public-speaking skills. You can tell by the Japanese's shocked reaction that this is still something very new in Asia, and they said they wished they had the chance to learn like this when they were kids.

Unfortunately, having seen the amazing ptojects these Elementary kids put together, I'm also well-awared that this is not an opportunity provided to other public schools in poorer states/cities/school districts. This is why I believe in programs and initiatives that provide assistance to ALL students with lower socio-economics backgrounds who needs the extra help, not just cherry-picking certain "minorities" base on their skin color and ethnicity.

Last edited:

I would suggest you examine the literacy rates of all these countries, and then the graduation rates, I would then examine the level of poverty, homelessness and standards of living, median salaries etc.

it's not racist or ethnocentric to identify pretty clear truths...when it comes down to Education, countries like Japan, Sinagpore, Korea do embrace it, accentuate the importance of it more than other nations, like Mexico for example.

I didn't say anything about ethnocentricity or racism, your predilection for assuming those are the underlying reasons for my disagreement is telling.

My reasoning is simply this: Polling data in the U.S. says that Hispanics highly value education. Research shows that foreign born Hispanics achieve education outcomes in line with other immigrant groups, including Asians.

That suggests that both groups value education similarly while in the U.S.

So, the statement that the value systems in the nations of origin must be dissimilar implies that Hispanics come to the U.S. and suddenly adopt a pro-education mentality. That isn't a logical conclusion. It's almost logically insane. :) The logical assumption is that the value system that they demonstrate in the U.S. is the same as the value system that they had in their country of origin.

The issue isn't that Asians value education more than anyone else, it's that some people seem to have an emotional investment in the belief that Asians value education more than anyone else. If I was going to speculate in a way that rustles jimmies, I would speculate that it's a compensation model so that they don't have to ask themselves the tougher questions about why most Asian countries are backwards as hell except for the economic elites.:oops:

Or it's ego protection to offset the lack of Asians in power positions in the boardroom or in mainstream media. A "We're not being given any authority but it doesn't matter because everyone knows we're smarter than them." Not much different from the "Yeah, we know we have no jobs but we're better athletes than them" mentality found in other ethnic subgroups. :confused:

Just another way to avoid hard truths and bruised egos.

Agreed, asian education is also cultural, Vietnam is poorer than Mexico, China in general terms is too in terms of (median income, HDI) yet they rank consistently higher in terms of PISA tests.

But i dont think its valuing education as much as its valuing skills, a lot of kids in Mexico simply leave school to learn trades early on. And the most draconian parents while similar to asian parents, are not as draconian due to the fact that there isnt as much competition for top spots.

I didn't say anything about ethnocentricity or racism, your predilection for assuming those are the underlying reasons for my disagreement is telling.

My reasoning is simply this: Polling data in the U.S. says that Hispanics highly value education. Research shows that foreign born Hispanics achieve education outcomes in line with other immigrant groups, including Asians.

That suggests that both groups value education similarly while in the U.S.

So, the statement that the value systems in the nations of origin must be dissimilar implies that Hispanics come to the U.S. and suddenly adopt a pro-education mentality. That isn't a logical conclusion. It's almost logically insane. :) The logical assumption is that the value system that they demonstrate in the U.S. is the same as the value system that they had in their country of origin.

The issue isn't that Asians value education more than anyone else, it's that some people seem to have an emotional investment in the belief that Asians value education more than anyone else. If I was going to speculate in a way that rustles jimmies, I would speculate that it's a compensation model so that they don't have to ask themselves the tougher questions about why most Asian countries are backwards as hell except for the economic elites.:oops:

Or it's ego protection to offset the lack of Asians in power positions in the boardroom or in mainstream media. A "We're not being given any authority but it doesn't matter because everyone knows we're smarter than them." Not much different from the "Yeah, we know we have no jobs but we're better athletes than them" mentality found in other ethnic subgroups. :confused:

Just another way to avoid hard truths and bruised egos.

The definition of education may be different for hispanics and asians. Hispanics are looking for education, while asians are looking to be the best.

And i think you are the one that its bringing smarter than them, everyone on the pro-asian crew simply states that they study harder... And they do.

Well chain your kid to a comp from age 4, put such large amounts of stress on them to succeed that if they dont live up to your standards they might commit suicide. Put them in school for 8hrs a day and 12 months a year. Give up all social life and forget about all physical activity. Dont go out and party with friends, no sex until 30. Grow up with no ability to relate to anyone on any normal social level. Its almost like forcing someone into being a savant. Sure if you put all your life into grades and absolutely nothing else you will score higher than others. Is that the kind of society we are trying to achieve ? Are we trying to raise a bunch of grey aliens ? I am glad we in America dont accept that as the only measure of success. I am glad we place some importance on diversity of talents and abilities and that we are extremely well rounded. Who the fuck wants to be a homogeneous group of pasty little weakling socially handicapped introverts who kill themselves if they get a B ?
Shame on any Americans in this thread who are saying things like "well if they work harder..." Fuck that. Take a look at typical asian society and the kind of people that are created with this type of thinking. Would we want our society to become more like theirs ? The American approach of diversity in education and the importance of being well rounded creates a much better society.

This is an excellent video discussing the importance of a parents role in education and how many parents are becoming less involved in educating their children and depending more on institutions to raise and educate their children. I know many people with children who barely spend any time with them. They drop them off at daycare early in the morning and then see them for an hour or two before the kids go to bed and they do that all week.

Back