International The wall (waste of money)

.5% tax on each stock, commodity, or derivative trade. It's the same thing.

It would lower your retirement portfolio by 55% of its value (buy = .5%, sell = .5%, 200% turnover/ year; .98^40 = just 45% your retirement portfolio remaining after 40 years). That doesn't even take into account transaction costs (brokerage commissions, bid/ ask spread) going up ~2000% under that tax, which will wipe out a bit more on top of that.

Trading is electronic. So, trading would simply move to Singapore or Hong Kong and other not-transaction taxed markets overnight. Not actually banned in the US; but effectively banned in the US. Companies would simply get off of the New York Stock Exchange and list their companies onto foreign stock exchanges. People would simply stop trading oil and other commodities on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange and start trading them on foreign commodities exchanges.

Investment funds would also move accordingly.

It's not an actual ban. It's just a make-the-US the worst place in the world to do it, make American investment funds the worst place in the world to have your money, and it's all electronic so it can all be moved overseas overnight for 0 cost de facto ban.

Ultimate Irony: The goal is to collect tax revenue on a financial transaction tax. On top of offshoring huge American industries, it will actually lower tax revenue. The loss in capital gains taxes will be larger than any financial transaction tax revenue collected.
lol @ this wonky math. Losing 2% of your portfolio value each year will not add up to you losing 55% of it in 40 years, or are you doing this math as if the portfolio never grows in value?

lol @ this wonky math. Losing 2% of your portfolio value each year will not add up to you losing 55% of it in 40 years, or are you doing this math as if the portfolio never grows in value?
Because growth is compounding, that makes it even worse.. EG -- what's a bigger loss? 1^40-.98^40 or 1.4^40-1.2^40?

Because growth is compounding, that makes it even worse.. EG -- what's a bigger loss? 1^40-.98^40 or 1.4^40-1.2^40?

That's not how the math works.

This is what it looks like in actual practice.

T3CfMxE.png

QYkG2k0.png

That's not how the math works.

This is what it looks like in actual practice.

T3CfMxE.png

QYkG2k0.png
Notice 2^2 = 4. 4^2 = 16. 4 is twice as big as 2. 16 is 4 times as big as 4... You did something wrong because what you posted is literally impossible.

Notice 2^2 = 4. 4^2 = 16. 4 is twice as big as 2 big 4 is 4 times as big as 16... You did something wrong because what you posted is literally impossible.
What exactly do you think is impossible? An increase of 4% is Y*1.04. A decrease of .5% is Y*.995.

2%^2 isn't 4. 2% = .02 and .02^2 = .0004 it actually decreases when it gets squared.

You should get a quite similar result if you multiply 1000*1.06^20.....since 1.06 would equal the 1.08 - .02. Growth - taxes.

Edit:

Last edited:
Sure. We are all humans .
My wife and her family are pure Mexican and her father is from Tampico. Even they dont want that.

Let's be clear, the wall is symbolic for separation of whites from Hispanics. This is why so many Trump supporters rally behind it. There are better more cost effective ways to secure the border than a wall.

Its not a symbol of separation, its an actual physical seperation, because a wall is a physical obstacle.

Secondly, to say that is why so many trump supporters rally behind it is complete bull. Do you have this view in your mind that Trump supporters are a bunch of racists? Give me a break.

There may be more cost effective ways of enforcing border patrol, which is why its not the only solution hes using.

"Border arrests, a metric for illegal crossings, plummeted to 51,000 in August, according to preliminary government figures obtained by POLITICO Wednesday, down more than 60 percent since a peak in May. And border watchers say it’s largely because of an agreement Trump struck with Mexico in June. Mexican authorities, backed by the newly formed National Guard, are now cracking down on migrants traversing Mexico’s southern border with Guatemala, monitoring river crossings and stopping buses carrying migrants from Central America through Mexico. At the same time, the U.S. is making tens of thousands of asylum seekers wait in Mexico while their applications are considered"

Again, the total solution to border control is a variety of new implementations, not just a singlular idea.

If it was up to me there wouldn't be borders at all. Everyone including your ancestors crossed lands and settled somewhere else.

I was just offering other solutions on border control when a poster asked what could be better than a brick wall lol
you should tell your neighbors with the pitbull that their walls are unnecessary. Locks on doors are also unnecessary, if someone wants in, they'll get it anyhow amiright?

you should tell your neighbors with the pitbull that their walls are unnecessary. Locks on doors are also unnecessary, if someone wants in, they'll get it anyhow amiright?

I said the land should be free for everyone. The argument that they can go into your personal home is funny.

Dumb logic ? Make a wall when their are deep tunnels that bypass wall to start with lol. I think your logic is wrong.

Tunnels cost millions of dollars to dig. And they are small and difficult. Walls are effective.

If it was up to me there wouldn't be borders at all. Everyone including your ancestors crossed lands and settled somewhere else.

I was just offering other solutions on border control when a poster asked what could be better than a brick wall lol
So your "solutions" are entirely in bad faith because you dont want any solution.
Gee I wonder why you think a wall is bad...

So your "solutions" are entirely in bad faith because you dont want any solution.
Gee I wonder why you think a wall is bad...

Sorry that I want people to have the same opportunities as me and my ancestors .

How many refugees have you taken into home?

I have taken people in who needed help. I would definitely take in people if their family was in immediate danger .

Just like the Germans who help the Jews.

Back