The Walking Dead Season 9 Discussion = Lowest Mid Season Premiere Rating out of all Seasons.

I posted this earlier in the thread regarding the "realism" of the Whisperers (meaning would there still be enough real zombies around after 10 years for them to hide amongst):

Kirkman said in the TWD universe, zombies out number humans 5000 to 1....that would leave only approximately 66,000 living humans in the US - I would estimate this would be at the apex of the Wildfire Virus epidemic. Now, in the first 3 years of the zompoc, all the original zombies should already be decomposed or killed by humans and by scavenging animals where there shouldn't be massive herds of them migrating around. Obviously of the remaining 66,000 surviving humans, there will be deaths among them and new zombies coming about but it would be nothing significant since the remaining 66,000 humans would be surviving in separate smaller population pockets across the US. I just don't think there would be enough of a zombie population 10 years after the outbreak to allow for humans to live among massive herds.
If they need humans to eat, their food source went pretty dry right after the initial outbreak and they should be starving off in big numbers by now.

We see them rotting and still animated so the “decomposed away” theory doesn’t seem to hold water.

But they should be far weaker and slower and easier to kill now for sure.

If they need humans to eat, their food source went pretty dry right after the initial outbreak and they should be starving off in big numbers by now.

We see them rotting and still animated so the “decomposed away” theory doesn’t seem to hold water.

But they should be far weaker and slower and easier to kill now for sure.

I will assume the zombies still rotting and still animated are newer or newly turned zombies, because after 10 years (even 5 years), any of the original outbreak zombies should be worm food by now. There would have been a massive die off from the original Year 0 to Year 3 zombies at some point after and before the 3 and 10 year mark where massive herds of zombies still roaming around doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Damn, Episode 10 pulled in the lowest viewer rating for the entire series ... a 4.54 rating for Episode 10...ouch...

Lulz to all the Youtube fanboys suckasses who were saying The Whisperer storyline was going to reinvigorate the viewer numbers <45> I called it last year when I said that the non comic book normie viewer would be turned off by The Whisperers.

Last edited:
Damn, Episode 10 pulled in the lowest viewer rating for the entire series ... a 4.54 rating for Episode 10...ouch...

Lulz to all the Youtube fanboys suckasses who were saying The Whisperer storyline was going to reinvigorate the viewer numbers <45> I called it last year when I said that the non comic book normie viewer would be turned off by The Whisperers.
Nothing is going to save it, I believe Glenns death was the final nail, if you look at it the ratings started plummeting bad.

Glenn was becoming a strong lead actor, he had great moments I was thinking if Rick left they would let Glenn take the helm, then they kill him off, the only real main audience now are those fat white girls who are in love with Daryl the same chicks who go to the zombie cons to meet him, most of the other fans of the show lost interest and bounced.

Once Glenn was offed the entire cast lost that family feeling they had, from what I read on reddit people who worked on the set said there was an emptiness, the first 6 seasons they had fun, everyone enjoyed being on set but Gimple started killing off cast members after cast members, and then killed off several main group including Sasha.

I dont think gimple is human, the guy might be a sociopath who has no understanding of human bonding or he could be autistic

when you have a show like TWD you must realize viewers develop familiarity and bonds with the characters, if you kill off that many and dont introduce new strong characters to fill the void the show loses its luster.

Look what Gimple did when he took over Fear, the guy killed off the two mains the strong female lead Madison who loved being part of the show and was a legit strong lead, and her son Nick who well claims he wanted off but later said he regretted his decision, but apparently he is bringing back Troy who somehow survived a hammer hole to the side of his dome

Nothing is going to save it, I believe Glenns death was the final nail, if you look at it the ratings started plummeting bad.

Glenn was becoming a strong lead actor, he had great moments I was thinking if Rick left they would let Glenn take the helm, then they kill him off, the only real main audience now are those fat white girls who are in love with Daryl the same chicks who go to the zombie cons to meet him, most of the other fans of the show lost interest and bounced.

Once Glenn was offed the entire cast lost that family feeling they had, from what I read on reddit people who worked on the set said there was an emptiness, the first 6 seasons they had fun, everyone enjoyed being on set but Gimple started killing off cast members after cast members, and then killed off several main group including Sasha.

I dont think gimple is human, the guy might be a sociopath who has no understanding of human bonding or he could be autistic

when you have a show like TWD you must realize viewers develop familiarity and bonds with the characters, if you kill off that many and dont introduce new strong characters to fill the void the show loses its luster.

Look what Gimple did when he took over Fear, the guy killed off the two mains the strong female lead Madison who loved being part of the show and was a legit strong lead, and her son Nick who well claims he wanted off but later said he regretted his decision, but apparently he is bringing back Troy who somehow survived a hammer hole to the side of his dome

Well, to Gimple's defense, he was just following the comic. I guess he could have taken a look around the cast and story and made the decision not to kill Glenn if he thought it would hold the show together, but at that point they were still raking in the ratings so he didn't have the instinct to proceed with caution like that.

As from what we have seen him do with FTWD, Gimple is a piss poor strategist with a god complex. Because of this, he has no foresight when it comes to the storyline, aided by his massive ego and his "can do no wrong shock value killing" strategy. The downfall of the show wasn't the killing of Glenn; it was Gimple's inability to keep up the new dark and gritty atmosphere, writing and cinematography we saw in Season 6 Finale and Season 7 Premiere. I mean, I don't know how in the world Gimple went from an amazingly crafted, graphic, post modern horroresque Season 7 premiere to Negan's over the top goofiness in Episode 4 to the cringe worthy Jadis debut in Episode 9 to another "Gotcha" fake death with Rick in Episode 12? I mean, imagine if Vince Gilligan pulled that shit with Breaking Bad? lol

Damn, Episode 10 pulled in the lowest viewer rating for the entire series ...

giphy.gif

Even the cast members are bored as fk and want to move on other shows.

cheesy hipster garbage. nobody should even comment on this show.

Why do I keep watching this garbage. I’d be better off sticking my head in a bucket of shit.

Edit: I’m gonna try my hardest not to watch this weekend! Gotta quit a bad habit that has gone on long enough.

Bring back Merle! I don’t care how the writers do it

I havent watched any episodes since the war with Negan. But this season is utter garbage.

Also next season.

I think this is spot on!! I know a bunch of people who stopped watching after Glenn's death. Especially a lot of female viewers......which then turns away some male viewers who used to watch it as a couple with their female friend.

Women loved Glenn and his story with Maggie and how he was sweet yet tough yet had a good heart. His death and the way the did it with his eyeball and stuff turned a lot of casual viewers off.

Glenn seemed to be the heartbeat that kept that story and that cast together onset and offset.

It's hard to keep interest when all the characters have been killed off and replaced by chafe.

This is the first season ive started skipping.

Those of you saying the show started to suck cuz of glenn are outright wrong.

I think this is spot on!! I know a bunch of people who stopped watching after Glenn's death. Especially a lot of female viewers......which then turns away some male viewers who used to watch it as a couple with their female friend.

Women loved Glenn and his story with Maggie and how he was sweet yet tough yet had a good heart. His death and the way the did it with his eyeball and stuff turned a lot of casual viewers off.

Glenn seemed to be the heartbeat that kept that story and that cast together onset and offset.
Glenn was the only character who grew from a boy to a man on the show, he was like a weak pizza nerd and then he grew to a leader, and a leading man type character behind Rick

The relationship between him and Maggie was the only real one on the show everything else was forced, especially rick with michionne not believable there it was out of left field.

They killed off way too many characters Gimple did it to avoid syndication split, if you add more characters when the show is over the more money is split during syndication so why not wipe them out to line your pockets deeper after its over.

The guy is the show killer, he had one good episode arc and they gave him showrunner off of it and fired Glenn Mazzarra.

Now Gimple basically runs the TWD world he oversees both shows and now writing the Rick movies.

AMC fucked up giving this guy the job, should have gotten rid of him years ago, yet they hire him to go to FEAR and he destroyed that show too lol

AMC were wise they should listen to the fans no twd fan likes him, the fans are the ones who watch the show only a narcissistic person like Gimple would think he knows whats best and not listen to the fans, the ratings show the fans hate his direction

I don't think that's WHY it started to go downhill btw. I'm saying they lost a LOT of viewers b/c of the way they killed him and b/c Glenn was universally liked. It's one of the reasons but not the only one IMO.

I think Glenns death was the final nail for many. then they kill off Carl which made no sense, sure the kid sucks as an actor but he is a main character. they killed off too many characters, without bringing in any good strong charismatic replacements to fill the void.

I think Glenns death was the final nail for many. then they kill off Carl which made no sense, sure the kid sucks as an actor but he is a main character. they killed off too many characters, without bringing in any good strong charismatic replacements to fill the void.
Ok, carl im indifferent because the actor was absolutely fucking horrible. It was unacceptable. But i hear ya, there was no one to fill his shoes.
When rick left, i was really scratching my head. I was waiting for the whisperers but they just took too fucking long to arrive.

THATS WHAT IT WAS.

Everything took way too long to arrive. These TWD threads were always filled with gripes of "filler episodes, " and those arguments are correct.

I loved that they did the glenn scene almost perfectly but my god, you cant keep that gloomy shit going for that long.

Ok, carl im indifferent because the actor was absolutely fucking horrible. It was unacceptable. But i hear ya, there was no one to fill his shoes.
When rick left, i was really scratching my head. I was waiting for the whisperers but they just took too fucking long to arrive.

THATS WHAT IT WAS.

Everything took way too long to arrive. These TWD threads were always filled with gripes of "filler episodes, " and those arguments are correct.

I loved that they did the glenn scene almost perfectly but my god, you cant keep that gloomy shit going for that long.

I am not sure where the whole "The show died because Glenn died" crap has come from. It was overkill for both Abe and Glenn but we all knew a death was coming that would be an impact on the show.

The real downfall came from how well done both the Season 6 finale and Season 7 premiere were; the tone of both episodes (and the 1 or 2 episodes leading up to the Season 6 finale) were something we haven't seen before from TWD and it put the rest of the season in an unfair quality disadvantage.

Yes, the show has gone "dark" before (IE: Terminus and Carl almost being raped), but the S6 Finale and S7 Premiere were also written, edited, arranged and acted in a way we haven't seen before on the show; almost Tier 1 episodes. Then they go from those 2 episodes to the dragged on cringe and cheesy shlock that was the rest of Season 7 and Season 8. That's what did in the show.

I think if the show kept doing 13 episode seasons (even 10), they could have maintained a better quality and pacing more consistently as well. When a teeny bopper post apoc CW show like The 100 has better writing, pacing, acting, drama and tension than a powerhouse like TWD, something is definitely off LOLOL

Also, with how Season 8 ended, I think the showrunners were originally planning on having internal strife between Rick and Maggie and possibly leading to a civil war but Rick and Maggie wanting off the show, that storyline was scrapped - which I think is rather unfortunate because it would have been the first time since Shane in Season 2 where the threat was internal.

Last edited:

THATS WHAT IT WAS.

When they took a whole season walking down train tracks on the way to the train station, and it was anticlimactic and over immediately it was stupid.

Way to much build up, not enough pay off.

I am not sure where the whole "The show died because Glenn died" crap has come from. It was overkill for both Abe and Glenn but we all knew a death was coming that would be an impact on the show.

The real downfall came from how well done both the Season 6 finale and Season 7 premiere were; the tone of both episodes (and the 1 or 2 episodes leading up to the Season 6 finale) were something we haven't seen before from TWD and it put the rest of the season in an unfair quality disadvantage.

Yes, the show has gone "dark" before (IE: Terminus and Carl almost being raped), but the S6 Finale and S7 Premiere were also written, edited, arranged and acted in a way we haven't seen before on the show; almost Tier 1 episodes. Then they go from those 2 episodes to the dragged on cringe and cheesy shlock that was the rest of Season 7 and Season 8. That's what did in the show.

I think if the show kept doing 13 episode seasons (even 10), they could have maintained a better quality and pacing more consistently as well. When a teeny bopper post apoc CW show like The 100 has better writing, pacing, acting, drama and tension than a powerhouse like TWD, something is definitely off LOLOL

Also, with how Season 8 ended, I think the showrunners were originally planning on having internal strife between Rick and Maggie and possibly leading to a civil war but Rick and Maggie wanting off the show, that storyline was scrapped - which I think is rather unfortunate because it would have been the first time since Shane in Season 2 where the threat was internal.
Agreed with all, but i HATED the idea of a mutiny. When there is so much comic book material, theres no need for that goofy shit.

I loved the premiere with Negan. Im using the word love here.
The finale before it did nothing but piss me off. All they had to do was do a 2 hour finale. Even when theyre good, they extend it too long.

Back