The Vitamin Guide--Excellent Resource

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are going to speak nonsense, at least back it up. Don't spew bull shit to bull shitters. I have posted plenty of relevant studies. Granted some supp do nothing but others you can't ignore unless you are ignorant that is.

STWACOACH said:
If you are going to speak nonsense, at least back it up. Don't spew bull shit to bull shitters. I have posted plenty of relevant studies. Granted some supp do nothing but others you can't ignore unless you are ignorant that is.
For every study you can come up with there is another that will counteract it.

Fighter ex said:
Hey if you read into that stuff you will realize that most supplements are crap. Even vitamins and minerals have little if any effect on performance or immune function, check out all the double blind studies they have done and you will kick yourself in the ass for all the money you have wasted on this stuff

i agree. While you're at it why don't you forget to watch what you eat as well. Proper diet is a myth along with vitamins. In fact any the information there is on how the human body processes any nutrients is made up

Fighter ex said:
For every study you can come up with there is another that will counteract it.

let's see u find a substantial study counter-arguing the effectiveness of omega-3 and protein...

hey, it's good to have ur own opinion.. but if supplements made me healthy and got rid of my acne, whereas before i felt like shit and now i feel awesome.. there isn't anything anybody can say that can change my mind otherwise.. :wink:

supersudo said:
let's see u find a substantial study counter-arguing the effectiveness of omega-3 and protein...

hey, it's good to have ur own opinion.. but if supplements made me healthy and got rid of my acne, whereas before i felt like shit and now i feel awesome.. there isn't anything anybody can say that can change my mind otherwise.. :wink:
Soap and water are not supplements

Fighter ex said:
Soap and water are not supplements

*chuckle*

just goes to show how much u know about skin and how the body works.. ah, i would pray for ur enlightenment.. but it seems already that u're probably a hopeless cause.. :rolleyes:

thanks for the link lots of good info.I also felt better after adding fish oil and a multi vitamin, just my 2cents

lefthanded said:
thanks for the link lots of good info.I also felt better after adding fish oil and a multi vitamin, just my 2cents
If rancid oil and a pill that goes through your body undigested make you feel better then more power to ya.

Fighter ex said:
Hey if you read into that stuff you will realize that most supplements are crap. Even vitamins and minerals have little if any effect on performance or immune function, check out all the double blind studies they have done and you will kick yourself in the ass for all the money you have wasted on this stuff

I have a friend who shares the same opinions on supplements. He eats a balanced diet and is a grown man so I choose to respect his opinion and leave it at that. I'm not exactly sure why you decided to post this in this thread in a Diet and Supplements forum though. You might as well go into every GNC/Supplement store you pass by and tell everyone that supplements are crap.

Fighter ex said:
If rancid oil and a pill that goes through your body undigested make you feel better then more power to ya.

If you're debating the efficacy of fish oil and other proven supplements, then you sir are truly a near-sighted fool.

I'd be the first in line to argue about what's effective and what is a wste o' cash, but a generalized view like yours is just plain ignorant.

Already well said in this quote:

SWTACOACH said:
Granted some supp do nothing but others you can't ignore unless you are ignorant that is.

Here's a recent article that may be of interest to you all. I hope to see alot more of this in the vitamin and supplement industry. Soon we will see who is ignorant.

FTC Fines Marketers of 4 Weight Loss Pills $25 Million for Making False Advertising Claims

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Federal Trade Commission on Thursday fined the marketers of four weight loss pills $25 million for making false advertising claims ranging from rapid weight loss to reducing the risk of cancer.
FTC Chairman Deborah Platt Majoras said the products would remain on store shelves, but that the companies would have to stop making the false claims.

"What we challenge is the marketing of the claims," she said. "The marketers are required to back up the claims with the science and if they can't do that they can't make the claim. But we don't ban the products from the shelves."

The FTC investigated a variety of claims made -- including rapid weight loss and reduction in the risk of osteoporosis, Alzheimer's and even cancer, Majoras noted.

Fines were levied against marketers of Xenadrine EFX, One A Day Weight Smart, CortiSlim and TrimSpa.

Telephone calls to the marketers seeking comment were not immediately returned Thursday.

Majoras said that some of the money paid as civil fines would be returned to consumers. "We always try to get money back when consumers have been deceived," she said. "In this instance I'm pleased to say that I believe we're going to get millions back from some of these products to be able to return it to consumers."

The largest fine was levied against two marketers of Xenadrine EFX, made by New Jersey-based Nutraquest, Inc., formerly known as Cytodyne Technologies. The marketers will pay at least $8 million and as much as $12.8 million. A federal lawsuit has been filed in Newark, N.J. The marketer was identified as RTC Research & Development, LLC, based in Manasquan, N.J.

A $12 million fine was assessed against seven marketers of CortiSlim and CortiStress. The marketers were identified as Window Rock Health Laboratories, based in Brea, Calif.

The Bayer Corp., based in Morristown, N.J., will pay a $3.2 million civil penalty to settle the claims. TrimSpa, based in Whippany, N.J., will pay $1.5 million. Goen Technologies Corp., also based in Whippany, marketed TrimSpa.

Majoras cautioned the estimated 70 million Americans trying to lose weight not to turn to pills.

"You're not going to find weight loss in a bottle of pills," she said.

She said the FTC investigation found that the marketers of Xenadrine had a study that said those who took a placebo actually lost more weight than those taking the pill.

"They not only didn't have studies to support the claim, they actually had a study that went the other way," she said.

Some of the products marketed their claims through infomercials or celebrity endorsements. Anna Nicole Smith, for example, has endorsed TrimSpa.

"Testimonials from individuals are not a substitute for science," Majoras said. "And that's what Americans need to understand."

All of those particular fat-burners suck anyway. Anyone with a brain knows that. So find something we don't know.

your basing your argument on vitamins and minerals with an article on a fat loss pill? thats funny!!!!!!

lockjaw211 said:
your basing your argument on vitamins and minerals with an article on a fat loss pill? thats funny!!!!!!
What I'm showing is that supplement companies ( Just like diet pill companies) can claim whatever they want on their label. Now it seems they are being called on it. One has been shown to be a fraud and I beleive the other will be soon to follow.

Fighter ex said:
What I'm showing is that supplement companies ( Just like diet pill companies) can claim whatever they want on their label. Now it seems they are being called on it. One has been shown to be a fraud and I beleive the other will be soon to follow.

vitamins and minerals can not be compared to something like that man. think about it.

thats like putting vitamins on the same playing field as a penis enlargement pill. its not the best example man.

lockjaw211 said:
vitamins and minerals can not be compared to something like that man. think about it.

thats like putting vitamins on the same playing field as a penis enlargement pill. its not the best example man.
Correct. But who's to say that what you are taking is even really a vitamin? They do not have to prove that what they say you are taking is indeed the real thing.

Correct. But who's to say that what you are taking is even really a vitamin? They do not have to prove that what they say you are taking is indeed the real thing.

Actually you're completely incorrect.

Incase you didn't notice the FTC regulates what they can put on labels and so does the FDA to an extent. Your whole post about the diet pill companies getting indicted by the FTC proves that. Sooner or later fraudulent Companies get caught either by the FTC or FDA.

Good stuff. I've been using Vitacost's library section for quite a while since I started buying from them. They have high quality stuff IMO.

King Kabuki said:
Actually you're completely incorrect.

Incase you didn't notice the FTC regulates what they can put on labels and so does the FDA to an extent. Your whole post about the diet pill companies getting indicted by the FTC proves that. Sooner or later fraudulent Companies get caught either by the FTC or FDA.
Ok, and that was my point exactly. Soon these government agencies will crack down on vitamin and supplement companies just like they have the diet pills. I am puzzled though that you bring up the FDA when every single bottle of vitamins you buy clearly states "These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA".

The reason the FTC came down on the diet pill companies is that they were making claims that couldn't be backed up with science and they were paying off the people in thier "testimonials".

Stating that all supplements are worthless is as ignorant as believing that all supps are effective.

Thanks for the link, sudo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back