Crime The violence recently directed at Asian Americans

Lord Coke

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I don't know anyone in the Asian community that cares about the wuhan virus being called the China virus What people care about is the violent attacks and those in the Bay Area seem to not really be investigated.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/08/us/asian-american-attacks-bay-area/index.html.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/15/us/v...NVyklUggRw88fIx2RK226e8ShKEH2wT-H4n4NKw2n-iDw

(CNN)Jacob Azevedo's stomach turned as he watched a disturbing video of an 84-year-old Thai American man who was fatally shoved to the ground on a sidewalk in San Francisco.

It was the second video of an unprovoked attack on an elderly Asian American that Azevedo, a resident of Oakland, had seen on social media out of the Bay Area within an hour, he told CNN.
Ever since the world learned of the new coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan, China, harassment and violence targeting the Asian American and Pacific Islander community has rapidly increased across the United States.
More than 2,808 firsthand accounts of anti-Asian hate from 47 states and the District of Columbia were reported between March 19 and December 31, 2020, with 7.3% of those incidents involving Asian Americans over the age of 60, according to a report by Stop AAPI Hate, a coalition documenting anti-Asian hate and discrimination amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

A recent surge in attacks on older Asian Americans in the Bay Area has heightened concerns among activist and leaders in the community.
Exhausted by the violence, Azevedo offered on social media to walk with anyone in Oakland's Chinatown neighborhood to help them feel safe.
"I wasn't intending to be some kind of vigilante," Azevedo, 26, told CNN. "I just wanted to offer people some kind of comfort."
His idea quickly resonated throughout the community and within days he had nearly 300 volunteers reaching out to join him to protect the community in a project now called Compassion in Oakland.
Azevedo, who is of Hispanic descent, believes this is a moment for all minority groups to stand in solidarity with the Asian American community. He said people from all racial backgrounds and ages reached out to him sharing the same desire to help support the community.
"This is important because this community just needs healing," Azevedo said. "There's a lot of racial tensions going on because of the previous president's rhetoric but in general our communities need healing. This is an issue that's been ongoing for a while."
Stop APPI Hate Co-Founder, Cynthia Choi, told CNN that crime and violence is nothing new to the Asian community.
"This is a problem and issue that doesn't get a lot of attention, especially in low income communities," Choi said. " And of course the pandemic, I think has exacerbated the conditions and exposed racial disparities."
Choi said in times of crisis when vulnerable people are being targeted it's heartwarming to see community members come out and take action.
"In Oakland, they're planning this action and it's really less about controlling and more about supporting the community and showing up," she said. "It's showing our elders who are afraid, afraid to leave their house that we're here, we want to support you we're holding you right now."
Azevedo hopes that the organization can work with law enforcement in the future to protect the community.
"All of us need to come together if we hope to make this a safer community for the years to come," Azevedo said.
The group planned a soft launch of the project on Saturday with a few volunteer groups on the streets. They hope to continue to build awareness of the issue in the community.

Last edited:
China Virus? That sort of inflammatory and irresponsible terminology should have been removed from mainstream consciousness when the Ex-POTUS got his twitter cancelled.

And plenty members of the Asian community do care when Covid gets referred to as China or Wuhan Virus. There have been enough attacks on women and the elderly that weren't happening before. There are enough morons out there who see an Asian and automatically associate them with the Kung Flu and some of them are stupid enough to attack.

Picking on the elderly is despicable shit. Doing it because of covid is especially retarded.
Its mainly because they are easy targets not covid related. Crime is way up in this entire area.
There have been tons of shootings and robberies all over downtown not just at night but during the day and early morning now.

And yes I agree that it is despicable shit.

China Virus? That sort of inflammatory and irresponsible terminology should have been removed from mainstream consciousness when the Ex-POTUS got his twitter cancelled.

And plenty members of the Asian community do care when Covid gets referred to as China or Wuhan Virus. There have been enough attacks on women and the elderly that weren't happening before. There are enough morons out there who see an Asian and automatically associate them with the Kung Flu and some of them are stupid enough to attack.

So some gang-bangers playing the knockout game is now Trumps fault.... :rolleyes: Okay.... White people in Maga hats aren't the demographic that is committing these crimes btw... talk about grasping at straws here.

Last edited:
Crime is up big time since the George Floyd riots. Before then 2020 was a normal year in terms of violent crime, even with COVID. I would say certain folks have been galvanized with the reduction and reluctance of the police force. I doubt many of these attacks, if any, are due to them being targeted because of COVIDs origins.

Reasons and descriptions for violence. Why? Its the same thing no matter who does it.

I don't know anyone in the Asian community that cares about the wuhan virus being called the China virus What people care about is the violent attacks and those in the Bay Area seem to not really be investigated.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/08/us/asian-american-attacks-bay-area/index.html.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/15/us/v...NVyklUggRw88fIx2RK226e8ShKEH2wT-H4n4NKw2n-iDw

Do you have any evidence to suggest they aren't being investigated? A teenager was charged with murder for a fatal shoving just a few days ago. And the attacks have made national news.

Also, leveraging your suggestion into downplaying anti-Chinese sentiment by a right wing head of government (that has clearly correlated with greater animosity toward Asian Americans) is sleazy af.

Hasn’t this been black on Asian and not white on Asian instances of crime that spiked?

how does Trump come into this? As some sort of deflective shield? Someone says it’s trumps fault so it is? Are the going kids saying they attack Asians bc of trump?

Last edited:
Hasn’t this been black on Asian and not white on Asian instances of crime that spiked?

how does Trump come into this? As some sorry of deflective shield? Someone says it’s trumps fault so it is? Are the going kids saying they attack Asians bc of trump?

Pretty much... Just look at this Trump inspired hate.

So some gang-bangers playing the knockout game is now Trumps fault.... :rolleyes: Okay.... White people in Maga hats aren't the demographic that is committing crimes btw... talk about grasping at straws here.

Nobody said anything about white people in MAGA hats being responsible for anything.

It was a very simple concept that people found difficult for Trump and a few of his dumb fuck followers to understand.

1. Scientific calls the virus Covid19. They don't want to associate the virus with any specific region because they know there are dumb fucks out there.

2. Trump is too dumb to recognize this.

3. Attacks on Asians increase.

4. They ask Trump, "Why do you keep calling it China Virus when you know that Asian Americans are being attacked and many aren't even Chinese?"

5. Steve French can't understand this simple concept and turns it into some bullshit about White People in MAGA hats. LOL you stupid fuck.

I know a lot of Asian people who took issue with the whole “China virus” “Kung flu” stuff.

But I’m not sure I see the connection to these violent crimes. To an increase in racist rhetoric among a certain demographic, yes. But not with these blacks people who are committing these crimes. These people have always been racist criminals.

This is more a result of less policing and criminals that feel untouchable and free to prey upon the most vulnerable.

Back