The vast majority of Sherdog is WRONG about Nate vs Conor part 2

The hopes and dreams of a sport (a niche sport at that) should not ride on the wee shoulders of someone like Conor...much like Ronda before him...

Hokay Jon, you think the sports ever just gunna let it's hopes and dreams ride on the shoulders of Conor or Ronda, or any one fighter? No way. They are being used effectively as marketing and advertising, and it helps that they are pretty good at what they do.

Anyone who enjoys betting and bets objectively should be thanking McGregor for inspiring an almost religion-like belief in people. His charisma has created a betting line that should be a no brainer for anyone with no investment in either fighter. Anything can happen and Conor *could* win, but given what we've seen if you're betting on McGregor he's gotten some blind faith from you that most cults would envy.

That waz just a really strange way to open up your thread... & then you didn't really present a point through a whole lot of writting. I read the whole thing & I'm still not sure what you're trying to say... so I just had a bit of fun with your opening statement.
Just come out of the closet, man - you're safe to do it here. honest.

The general consensus (from RATIONAL posters, as I'm leaving out the guys who are literally "yes homo" for Conor) is that Nate is going to perform even better in large part due to a full camp...

A lot of you guys think that Nate is not going to get knocked out because he already felt what Conor has to offer due to an array of brutal punches.

A lot of you think that Conor is going to gas, and in light of the fact that Nate is a cardio machine...Conor is going to wilt sooner than later...

A lot of you point to the fact that Conor was "rattled and saddled" (so to speak) with the quickness...so naturally he's bound to give up when the going gets tough...

A lot of you point to the fact that Nate is in Conor's head...and once someone like Conor loses their edge...they can never really get it back.

Well...

I'm here to say that the betting odds (in which Nate is a slight underdog) are NOT way off base no matter what most of you guys think.

Please note: I recognize that Conor is pretty much...EVERYTHING that's wrong with the UFC...whereas Nate is chill and certainly NOT mired in stupid fucking peacock antics at every fucking turn.

On that note, it's quite telling (for example) that Conor was crying about Nate wearing a black shirt all the time... I mean...c'mon now. They're going into a rematch...not the prom.

Anyway, although Conor is ultra-insufferable and I would LOVE to see Nate do WORK in the rematch...Conor knows that Nate is totally apt to stand and bang it out...

...whereas, if I was training him...I would avoid a WAR like the fucking plague...as this IS Nate's fight to lose.

It is.

...because if Nate were to jump-guard ASAP, (for example) that may actually be a wise course of action (relative to trading until someone falls) against a one-dimensional fighter who also happens to be small.

Yes, that would be a bit extreme, but if Nate had a GET SHIT TO THE FUCKING GROUND gameplan and he was unable to force the issue, (as Nate doesn't have a power base, etc) then a jump-guard may be smart against wittle Connie.

Anyway, expect a WAR.

It will be fun...but slow-twitch Nate is going to be in trouble on many fronts...unless he lands something big enough to change the course of action before he's down by too many rounds.
Just to put things in perspective for you, Anderson was favored of Weidman both fights.

I don't like McGregor, this said:

-His ground game is better than what he shown @196
-His cardio is better than what we saw @196

After being hit square on the jaw a few times, you can quickly become less than yourself, it would be a mistake to take him lightly.

I think McGregor is a better fighter than Nate overall, I am still picking Nate in that fight however, his style is tailor-made for Conor IMO.
Nate is better than Conor at everything except spinning shit kicks. How is Conor the better fighter exactly?

Why do people not whine about this un deserved rematch the way they do Hendo and Bisping's? I want to see diaz vs conor to but where are the "traditionalists" when it comes to rankings and this fight?

Just curious.

I'm going to try and keep my prediction simple and tip the guy who finished the other in the first fight.

PlumpAnimatedArchaeocete.gif
Sick training bro

The vast majority of Sherdog is WRONG

probably would have been sufficient. :p

You wrote all that just to say conor should avoid a slugfest with nate?

That was a lot of hot air. The fact is Nate is the better MMA boxer and clinch fighter. Conner really doesn't use his kicks or have the power on them to affect Nate. So it's Conor's MMA boxing v Nate's MMA boxing and clinch fighting. I pick Nate. It will go the way of the first fight only Nate won't sit back in the first round.

i agree with you but nate sitting back the 1st round was apart of what won him the fight.

if he comes forward early he could get ko'd by conors counterstriking.
conor is most dangerous in the 1st

Last edited:
So that's your theory huh. What we got here is the Big Bang Theory.

OP in two weeks time only one side can be right. The Sherdog Nate fans will celebrate and say Conor never was going to win and this was just a waste of time he should have defended hes title. If Conor wins lot of people on here will have egg on their faces.

I'm skeptical with how much camp really helps a Diaz bro. They are always training at their bases, and they are always in great cardio shape, and as far as preparing for an opponent, they don't make huge adjustments in their game. Nate is going to come out and fight like Nate no matter who he is fighting, having months to prepare for a specific fighter isn't going to change his approach really.

Conor is more of a guy who will recalibrate and change tactics in lieu of a loss. The Diaz boys are stubborn as fuck, and even in a loss they aren't going to change up how they do things, and really won't after a win.

Nate is going to be ready as long as he's taking things serious, and he is now. I don't think he's going to be much different than the last fight though. That's not necessarily a bad thing though. Some guys change up things after a loss and get away from stuff that made them successful. Conor is going to come in with a new approach I think, and it remains to be seen if that was a good or bad idea.

Conor is the superior striker. He needs to get in and out, put the punches and kicks together with technique and not power. He may need the tank to go 5. We will see..

This seems to be an emotional topic for you. Just chill and wait for the fight to happen.

i agree with you but nate sitting back the 1st round was apart of what won him the fight.

if he comes forward early he could get ko'd by conors counterstriking.
conor is most dangerous in the 1st
It wasn't just him sitting back, he had no idea how to defend Conor and then he figured it out. Conor didn't punch himself out we've seen him go longer and harder than that, he got caught and that sapped his energy. So yeah, Nate shouldn't and never would bull rush Conor like Aldo did but he should walk him down like he does all of his opponents, that won't open him up to counters. It will just put him in positions he wants to be in intead of positions Conor wants him to be in.

This seems to be an emotional topic for you. Just chill and wait for the fight to happen.

I gamble with my brain, not my heart.

Money aside, I do have emotions invested in this here fight.

I know Nate can throw ANOTHER wrench into the machine if only he had a ground game first mentality against Conor...but I fear that's absolutely not the case. (duh)

That said, I'm still going to bet on the fight, but it won't be substantial by any means.

Back