The value of interim titles

Interim titles establish who is to be definitively given the next title shot. They say that this guy is the number two in the division. It basically formalises the idea of the number one contender fight. If someone has the interim title, you can't bring in a Nate Diaz or a Dan Henderson for a title shot because you think it'll make more money. Rather than being a negative result of a focus on money over legitimacy, interim belts help to combat this tendency.

I think the idea of interim belts, or number one contender belts, should be rolled out across all weight divisions.

How about calling the #1 contender the #1 contender and not giving him an interim belt? And yes they can bring in a Diaz or Henderson for a fight (Diaz because RDA got injured, Henderson for an actual title shot) because the UFC is more worried about profits than what is fair for fighters.

if Conor tells the UFC he wants to fight Diaz when he returns, I double darn guarantee you that Conor will be fighting Diaz.

I actually do like this idea when put in those terms. I don't necessarily like the idea of another belt, but if the UFC wants to combat issues with champions not wanting to fight the number one contender in that division, then they need to formalize the number one contender spot somehow.

This would actually ensure that everyone knows what the next fight for the champ will be, he either fights the number one contender or gets stripped.

Unfortunately, it also gives less leverage to fighters for negotiation though because if the champ and number one contender can only fight each other, than they can't try to negotiate fights with other fighters to find the most lucrative offer anymore. You'd see a lot less in terms of callouts, Conor wouldn't be able to say that he has options and figure out which of 3-4 possible fighters would make him the most money and gives more legitimacy to rankings and MMA as a sport instead of a spectacle like its turning into (WWE style). I guess it would also prevent multiple division champs too, but considering the clusterfuck at LW and FW because of Conor, I don't think that's a bad idea either.

Interim titles establish who is to be definitively given the next title shot. They say that this guy is the number two in the division. It basically formalises the idea of the number one contender fight. If someone has the interim title, you can't bring in a Nate Diaz or a Dan Henderson for a title shot because you think it'll make more money. Rather than being a negative result of a focus on money over legitimacy, interim belts help to combat this tendency.

I think the idea of interim belts, or number one contender belts, should be rolled out across all weight divisions.
If you call it a #1 contender belt you have to ask how it makes sense for any contender to have a belt. They should have nothing.

Let's change the game. No interim nothing, each division has a belt, a crown and a cape. If a fighter wants to be the champion in a division he or she has to collect all three prizes. If not they are only a holder of the crown or whatever.
Sure this idea is stupid but it's more legit then the current ufc ranking and title system.

it's a predicament. as the sport gets more refined, fighters in the top echelon fight less, are injured more, and want more money. each of these always existed, but it's exacerbated now.

the old days when people complained that TUF seasons put off title shots for 4 months seem like the Golden Era now.

although i applaud your effort to think outside the box, TS, i don't agree that a '#1 contender belt' is helpful. then again, i don't know what will turn this tide either.

Back