International The US has killed head of Al-Qaeda Ayman al-Zawahri in a military operation

There was recent taliban negotiation. They probably sold zawahiri out as part of some deal.

I don't think it's likely. One, what would the taliban gain from that?

The US droning him in the middle of Kabul sends a message that the taliban can do nothing to prevent us bombing at will, should we ever want to. That, and the taliban benefits from their relationship with the Haqqani network. In fact, they are the one group that could probably make a genuine play for power against the taliban if they were so inclined. They could at least shut off the flow of contraband and weapons from over the border if they were pissed enough.

I can't see the taliban risking pissing off the Haqqani's unless there was a really really big prize on the other end. But, you never know. It's not like there is a shred of honesty or genuine loyalty amongst either group.

I'm guessing you missed al-Zhawarhiri's name in the article I posted...

<Meh02>

I thought that al-Zhawahiri's death and the events surrounding it are pertinent. If you have a problem with my post, use the report function.

No mod is above the rules here.

But he was killed for the 4th time now. Not 2 years ago.

But Trump 2 years later in a thread about a current event, really?

There was recent taliban negotiation. They probably sold zawahiri out as part of some deal.
The US is saying the Taleban flouted the Doha agreements because it is now evident they aided Zawahiri. I heard on the radio that right after Zawahiri was killed, the Taleban moved his family out; because they didn't want anyone to know they were supporting him.

Zawahiri being there was/ is bad optics for the Taleban.

Senior Haqqani Taliban figures were aware of Zawahiri’s presence in the area, the official said, in “clear violation of the Doha agreement,” and even took steps to conceal his presence after Saturday’s successful strike, restricting access to the safe house and rapidly relocating members of his family, including his daughter and her children, who were intentionally not targeted during the strike and remained unharmed. The US did not alert Taliban officials ahead of Saturday’s strike.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/01/politics/joe-biden-counter-terrorism/index.html

The Taleban will never really give up Al Qaeda since they have been closely linked for decades.

But he was killed for the 4th time now. Not 2 years ago.

But Trump 2 years later in a thread about a current event, really?

Well, the official report is that he was killed this week, so I'll go with that.

Little-known modified Hellfire missiles likely killed al Qaeda's Zawahiri

"Hellfire missiles, mostly made by Lockheed Martin (LMT.N), are precision guided munitions for air-to-ground strikes that normally cause significant damage, taking down whole buildings and killing or severely injuring anyone nearby.

Social media images of the strike pointed to the hallmarks of a modified Hellfire called the R9X with six blades to damage targets, sources familiar with the weapon said. It is largely aimed at individual targets, such as militants in Syria."

Little-known modified Hellfire missiles likely killed al Qaeda's Zawahiri | Reuters

The US is saying the Taleban flouted the Doha agreements because it is now evident they aided Zawahiri. I heard on the radio that right after Zawahiri was killed, the Taleban moved his family out; because they didn't want anyone to know they were supporting him.

Zawahiri being there was/ is bad optics for the Taleban.

Senior Haqqani Taliban figures were aware of Zawahiri’s presence in the area, the official said, in “clear violation of the Doha agreement,” and even took steps to conceal his presence after Saturday’s successful strike, restricting access to the safe house and rapidly relocating members of his family, including his daughter and her children, who were intentionally not targeted during the strike and remained unharmed. The US did not alert Taliban officials ahead of Saturday’s strike.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/01/politics/joe-biden-counter-terrorism/index.html

The Taleban will never really give up Al Qaeda since they have been closely linked for decades.
Out of curiosity where was this guy when we occupied Afghanistan for all those years? Was our planted puppet government also protecting this guy? If so why?

Out of curiosity where was this guy when we occupied Afghanistan for all those years? Was our planted puppet government also protecting this guy? If so why?
He was hiding.
Now that the Taleban runs Afghanistan, he felt safe enough to stand out in a balcony.

He was hiding.
Now that the Taleban runs Afghanistan, he felt safe enough to stand out in a balcony.

That's all it takes. That ONE slip-up and...

OGC.40e25e816a362199ae19c06e9a172c10

Timestamped.

Been reported that he was hiding in mountain caves as usual, but once the U.S. left he got comfy and came out of hiding and set up shop in his downtown penthouse...

Human nature,

He done goofed

That's all it takes. That ONE slip-up and...

OGC.40e25e816a362199ae19c06e9a172c10

Timestamped.

What's the world coming to when an elderly doctor can't even get some fresh air out on his balcony without being shredded.

I don't think it's likely. One, what would the taliban gain from that?

The US droning him in the middle of Kabul sends a message that the taliban can do nothing to prevent us bombing at will, should we ever want to. That, and the taliban benefits from their relationship with the Haqqani network. In fact, they are the one group that could probably make a genuine play for power against the taliban if they were so inclined. They could at least shut off the flow of contraband and weapons from over the border if they were pissed enough.

I can't see the taliban risking pissing off the Haqqani's unless there was a really really big prize on the other end. But, you never know. It's not like there is a shred of honesty or genuine loyalty amongst either group.

The US can already drone Kabul at will. They killed a bunch of civilians that way when going after the airport bomber. Zawahiri is also old news. Much more of a liability than someone useful with the Taliban vowing Afghanistan wont be used as a ground to attack its neighbors or the US. AQ is basically dead, its off shoot ISIS is a taliban enemy and Haqqani has been trying to switch over to politics. I also dont buy the fact that he was in Afghanistan the whole time and these things always happen during mid-terms. He likely crossed over from Pakistan not too long ago and the US killed him to boost up Biden's numbers.

Some tankies seem to be slightly mad that Biden took out that aging terrorist podcaster.
I have to say that I am a bit suprised that he was staying at the home of NYT contributor Sirajuddin Haqqani.

The US can already drone Kabul at will. They killed a bunch of civilians that way when going after the airport bomber. Zawahiri is also old news. Much more of a liability than someone useful with the Taliban vowing Afghanistan wont be used as a ground to attack its neighbors or the US. AQ is basically dead, its off shoot ISIS is a taliban enemy and Haqqani has been trying to switch over to politics. I also dont buy the fact that he was in Afghanistan the whole time and these things always happen during mid-terms. He likely crossed over from Pakistan not too long ago and the US killed him to boost up Biden's numbers.
If poll numbers were the reason, why didn't Trump do it in 2020, it would have given him a huge boost.

I am going with the simplest explanation, that Zawahiri was in hiding but moved to Kabul last year because he felt he would be safe. The house he was living at is in a affluent part of town, where a lot of senior Taleban figures reside. US spies were tracking him and the US security apparatus were figuring out when and how to get him. Now was the right time.

It’s a thread about killing Zawahri the former president not taking him out is relevant.
Where do you get the idea that only current events are to be discussed

You're only allowed to talk about Trump if it's deification or defense.

Anything else and you are obsessed with him and have a case of TDS.

If poll numbers were the reason, why didn't Trump do it in 2020, it would have given him a huge boost.

I am going with the simplest explanation, that Zawahiri was in hiding but moved to Kabul last year because he felt he would be safe. The house he was living at is in a affluent part of town, where a lot of senior Taleban figures reside. US spies were tracking him and the US security apparatus were figuring out when and how to get him. Now was the right time.

Trump did it with Baghdadi

Back