International The US has killed head of Al-Qaeda Ayman al-Zawahri in a military operation

Don't those figures go back 20 years? Did you expect us never to pull out of Afghanistan so that investment wouldn't be wasted? Not that I don't think the pullout was a mess but you're just posting the worst numbers possible. At least it seems that way but I know you're a guy with no dog in the game just asking questions.
I wasn’t asking questions. I was posting apparently poor information from good sources.

In the other thread I asked questions you were too afraid to answer.

And allegedly the former President knew about it also and did nothing.
When did Trump allegedly find out?
If that were true, then Biden would have known since late 2020 or very early 2021, right?

It’s semantics. I posted a link detailing the cost breakdowns.

Yes. I was wrong in that it wasn’t 83 billion of equipment left. More accurately I could have/should have said 80 billion of investment wasted along with billions of equipment included.
Pretty sure the investment into Afghanistan is substantially worse than that, like a trillion dollars.

It’s semantics. I posted a link detailing the cost breakdowns.

Yes. I was wrong in that it wasn’t 83 billion of equipment left. More accurately I could have/should have said 80 billion of investment wasted along with billions of equipment included.

At least we've moved on to logical fallacies from false factual claims. But the idea that we should waste more money and time and misery to avoid admitting that what we already lost was wasted is a fallacy. And it is not true that people who pointed out that the ~$80B claim was wildly false were then saying that the number was 0. Also, it's good that you're admitting you were wrong now (still haven't admitted you were wrong about the WH changing the definition of a recession, though), but you made several posts after apparently looking it up and seeing that MB was right insisting on the false claim and attacking MB for getting it right. Conscience never kicked in there?

Trump never wanted to take out top al-Qaeda target al-Zawahiri because he didn't recognize his name: report

"President Joe Biden announced that the U.S. killed top al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri, who served as Osama bin Laden's No. 2 in the ongoing attacks on the United States. But according to an NBC report from 2020, former President Donald Trump had an opportunity to do the same, but refused because he didn't recognize al-Zawahiri's name.

Reporting in early 2020, NBC News reported that intelligence officials briefed then-President Trump many times about the most worrisome terrorist threats, specifically mentioning al-Zawahri.

Trump would ultimately agree to take out ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi and Yemeni al Qaeda chief Qasim al-Rimi. But other of the significant names on the CIA's list were ignored."

Trump never wanted to take out top al-Qaeda target al-Zawahiri because he didn't recognize his name: report (msn.com)

6opmh4.jpg
Maybe he was thinking about having to try and say it on television. We saw how much trouble he had with yesterday.

At least we've moved on to logical fallacies from false factual claims. But the idea that we should waste more money and time and misery to avoid admitting that what we already lost was wasted is a fallacy. And it is not true that people who pointed out that the ~$80B claim was wildly false were then saying that the number was 0. Also, it's good that you're admitting you were wrong now (still haven't admitted you were wrong about the WH changing the definition of a recession, though), but you made several posts after apparently looking it up and seeing that MB was right insisting on the false claim and attacking MB for getting it right. Conscience never kicked in there?
More like I went to sleep, didn’t think twice about a Sherdog thread because I have a life and didn’t see a notification amongst the 50 I woke up to.

If 80 billion in equipment is apparently false — and the number clearly isn’t zero — that leaves us to determine a number of what we DID leave behind and to argue about what classifies as “being left behind”. Clearly in the billions but hard to determine. The 80 billion number is a good place to start and peel from there IMO.

I would argue anything useable or refurbishable would be a good determinant.

You’re making an argument against something I didn’t claim as well. More than irrelevant for someone so stringent on sticking “to the facts”.

When did Trump allegedly find out?
If that were true, then Biden would have known since late 2020 or very early 2021, right?

"Reporting in early 2020, NBC News reported that intelligence officials briefed then-President Trump many times about the most worrisome terrorist threats, specifically mentioning al-Zawahri."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...sedgntp&cvid=a7b610a7948643028da79d736edd38cf

*Dons military retiree hat*

Now al-Zawahiri was no dummy. He wasn't going to hang out in one locale for an extended period of time. No way. He was probably constantly on the move; except this time someone dropped the dime on him. It probably went along the lines of "He's going to be at such and such place for such and such time during this particular period before he moves again."

The wheels were always in motion but were waiting on the go-ahead (more than likely).
*Doffs military retiree hat*

Now Trump wasn't perfect, and neither is Biden. Trump did make the U.S. look strong in some areas, but it seems that he did not pull the trigger on al-Zahwahiri when he had the chance and Pres. Biden did.

I could have sworn they killed this guy years ago. I must be losing it in my old age...........

Trump was not president a few months ago.

Stop derailing.

Make a separate thread ComputerFogie2.0

"Reporting in early 2020, NBC News reported that intelligence officials briefed then-President Trump many times about the most worrisome terrorist threats, specifically mentioning al-Zawahri."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...sedgntp&cvid=a7b610a7948643028da79d736edd38cf

You could just read the article you know...

Before you yell "Fake News!", let's see if Raw Story issues a correction or retraction. If they do, then I'll gladly stand corrected. I'll wait to see if they retract or correct their reporting.

No one mention anything more than a few months old in this thread.
Thank you

You could just read the article you know...

Before you yell "Fake News!", let's see if Raw Story issues a correction or retraction. If they do, then I'll gladly stand corrected. I'll wait to see if they retract or correct their reporting.

But why derail a current events thread with....But Trump?

A mod constantly detailing threads is a bad look.

More like I went to sleep, didn’t think twice about a Sherdog thread because I have a life and didn’t see a notification amongst the 50 I woke up to.

Well, you had time to throw out multiple personal attacks just because MB told the truth when the GOP was lying. It's not like you just didn't respond.

If 80 billion in equipment is apparently false — and the number clearly isn’t zero — that leaves us to determine a number of what we DID leave behind and to argue about what classifies as “being left behind”. Clearly in the billions but hard to determine. The 80 billion number is a good place to start and peel from there IMO.

$80B was the total amount spent on training, building and the "killing gear," or whatever the term was. Looks like it was about $24B spent on gear over 20 years, but most of it would be totally destroyed or in disrepair by now. Probably mid-single-digit billions is the right figure.

I would argue anything useable or refurbishable would be a good determinant.

You’re making an argument against something I didn’t claim as well. More than irrelevant for someone so stringent on sticking “to the facts”.

What is the argument I'm making against something you didn't claim? And, yeah, I'm a strong believer in telling the truth first and arguing about preferences and implications later. That's precisely what pisses off people who prefer to lie.

Last edited:
But why derail a current events thread with....But Trump?

A mod constantly detailing threads is a bad look.

I'm guessing you missed al-Zhawarhiri's name in the article I posted...

<Meh02>

I thought that al-Zhawahiri's death and the events surrounding it are pertinent. If you have a problem with my post, use the report function.

No mod is above the rules here.

Good. Zawahri was one of the old guard who no doubt played a roll in actual attacks on America, including 9-11.

A couple takeaways:
1) Shows that the Taliban's claim that they would not tolerate Al-Qaeda in Afghanistan per the terms of the withdrawal agreement, were bullshit. No way does Zawahri feel safe hiding out in a posh neighborhood in Kabul without the taliban's blessing.

2) Fucker was staying in a house owned by Sirajuddin Haqqani. Not that there was any doubt between the Pakistani warlords and the Afghan jihadis, but it's nice to catch them in a direct connection. If we had any balls, Haqqani would be next on the list for getting droned, pakistani complains be damned.

There was recent taliban negotiation. They probably sold zawahiri out as part of some deal.

Back