Social The University of Kansas is offering a course titled, "Angry White Male Studies," next fall

Future Starbucks baristas in Kansas are going to be very well informed about how whitey ruined everything.

My position ultimately is “it happens more than a lot want to admit.... but it’s also at the same time not nearly as bad as the other side acts it is”
Well I think you're misreading his point a bit. I don't think he is denying the existence of these classes at other schools. Rather, that getting frazzled and starting a thread over just one course is ridiculous and people who think this is something new look doubly retarded.

Well I think you're misreading his point a bit. I don't think he is denying the existence of these classes at other schools. Rather, that getting frazzled and starting a thread over just one course is ridiculous and people who think this is something new look doubly retarded.
I would argue the thing based simply on the class name is.. well, trying to reduce an entire countries problem down to something THAT specific seems ridiculously short sighted.

I would argue the thing based simply on the class name is.. well, trying to reduce an entire countries problem down to something THAT specific seems ridiculously short sighted.
Well now you're just making up a conclusion rather than discussing what the course is: a study of white angry males in the UK and England across a few decades. If anything the course description would lead me to believe the conclusion is quite the opposite: that these people are relatively powerless with minimal involvement in societal affairs, so they get pissed and lash out, which makes them a problem effect not a problem cause. This isn't a study of rich billionaire white guys rigging elections and committing fraud, but random dumb poor white guys getting pissed off about stuff and commonalities (or not) among these people. Or if anything blaming the former for creating the latter, much like they are blamed for socioeconomic harm caused to none-whites.

By the looks of the WR and this thread it is hitting home.

"IM NOT PROGRAMMED LIKE YOU, I WOULD NEVER REPEAT MEANINGLESS TALKING POINTS. yOU'RE JUST TRIGGERED, WHICH IS A WORD I CAME UP WITH DURING MY DEEP THOUGHTS"
Did you make it past year 2 of college?
You have made literally no point other than "wahhhh some students at KU get scholarships so that makes me right and this class is bad and paid for by the state!"
Guess how much larger tuition is for out of state students? THREE TIMES MORE
So yeah, 38% of the students pay more in tuition than all the in state students combined lol. Toss that salad baby

Grants are not scholarships you angry little man.

Grants are not scholarships you angry little man.
Both are monies paid to deserving students for classes and used interchangably. Not that you would make use of either.
You sound like someone crying about a magazine getting called a clip.

This thread
Disagree...

Took a "race and politics" level 400 class my final year of Uni that had us read the book entitled "what's wrong with white people"
Lol. Excellent.

So, what was your takeaway from that course?

Are you referring to the course description or are you only discussing the course title? Which was the crux of my initial question. They are very different discussions.

I can agree that the title would offend. If the issue is the actual course material, I think this is a legitimate area of academic exploration:

Nothing about that requires anyone to be angrier than anyone else, simply "angry" which is why it's in quotations marks, I'd assume.

Now, is there a rise in anger among the dominant ethnic group in Britain and the U.S.? I'd say yes. Anger at changing demographics, anger at changing gender roles, anger at changing economic opportunities. This sense of "anger" was highly visible during the 2016 Presidential election and during the Brexit vote.

Additionally, I read on here about white males being tired of being singled out and treated poorly. In fact, I think there's research showing that many (I don't know if it's "most") white people feel that they are being discriminated against.

All in all, I think a rise in anger is probably true and an area of study that is legitimate.

If you're focused on the title of the course then I can understand why it would offend you.

What I always wonder when I see minorities so pleased about the 'changing demographics' of white countries is what do you think will happen as the situation worsens?

I mean, historically speaking, white people don't really have a good track record of letting other groups marginalize them in their own countries....

Back