Social The University of California System Is Being Sued By Students Who Think The SAT And ACT Are Racist

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
And they have support from certain "minorities groups" in California claiming that the tests are favorable to White students while "discriminatory to disadvantaged students of color".

Compton School District Among Groups Threatening to Sue UC System Unless It Drops the SAT
https://ktla.com/2019/10/29/ca-grou...llege-tests-favor-wealthy-white-students/amp/

Students of color to UC: Drop the SAT or we’ll see you in court
https://www.sfchronicle.com/education/amp/Students-of-color-to-UC-Drop-the-SAT-or-we-ll-14572455.php

California groups demand UC drop the SAT
https://www.latimes.com/california/...y-discriminate-against-disadvantaged-students

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that if the lawsuit does go forward, there is no plan for the anti-standardized exams activists to call the disadvantaged Asian-American students who actually study and do well on the SAT/ACT anyway to the Minorities witness stand.

As a Californian who is disgusted with the progressively dumbing-down in academia and a nation-wide epidemic of artificially-inflated grades by school administrators to boost High School graduation rates by cooking the books, I would like to invite the Compton school district and their supporters to fuck off with that shit.

As it stand, standardized college exams like the SAT and ACT might be the only thing left to separate fake high school GPAs from real ones.

UPDATE:

Last edited:
America: lowest common denominator... the future is bright.

Old news...

This has been happening for 3 decades.

Fire departments in all the major cities have been paralyzed due to lawsuits claiming that simple tests given to everyone who wants to be a FF are racist because blacks don't do as well as city officials would like. It's a true sickness. With progressive judges ruling their favor and giving them money and positions for failing a test.

People wonder why public education keeps getting worse and worse the more we spend. Because it's not about money, it's about the standards and expectations. And they keep lowering and lowering to help people like this.

Last edited:
We are fucked. People are too fucking flakey nowadays. Everything is fucking discriminatory.

Will they still keep common core and standardized tests?

Now, I agree that we tend to go overboard in regards to testing in the US.

However, having school districts across the country take the same exam (or curriculum) is a good way to find out if your students are learning at the same pace as kids in other districts. What needs to be improved/what is going well.

Look at it this way:

I've taught at a bunch of schools both in the US and abroad. Quite a few of them were very independent within their curriculum and pedagogy. Teachers had complete autonomy and independence in how they conducted their classes. So, all parents had to gauge how well their children were doing was their kid's report card.

It didn't take long for some teachers to simply give their students "As" across the board and then pat themselves on the back and say "Look how great of a teacher I am because all my kids got "As".

On the other hand, I've also had colleagues who created "No student earns an 'A' in my class" rule. This made me scratch my head. After all, if you give a pop quiz to check if the kids did the reading assignment, and a child correctly answers all 10 questions.....how is a 10/10 a B?

Will the students within the article still have some kind of formal testing procedure to ensure to the child, parent, district, and colleges are learning what they need to know?

Are we going to be having high school graduates with 4.0s but:

- Confuse They're, There, and Their?
- Not know the details of the lead up and end of WWII?
- Be unable to solve this word problem: Sandra read 5 books, Deacon read 6 books and Breanna read 7 books. One book was read by all three children, but every other book was different. How many different books did the children read?
- Know the difference between a proton and a neutron?

Perfect.

Why expect everyone to meet a certain standard when you can just adjust the standard to meet everyone.

Brilliant, definitely sustainable for a bright future.

There are reasonable claims of racist discrimination in America in 2019. These should be taken seriously and we should work toward serious solutions. Sadly, there are also many spurious claims of racism and these should be adamantly resisted, and no, standards should not be dropped. The goal should always be to find ways to improve school performance for black kids to the highest levels, not to drop standards so black kids can participate too.

Will they still keep common core and standardized tests?

Now, I agree that we tend to go overboard in regards to testing in the US.

However, having school districts across the country take the same exam (or curriculum) is a good way to find out if your students are learning at the same pace as kids in other districts. What needs to be improved/what is going well.

Look at it this way:

I've taught at a bunch of schools both in the US and abroad. Quite a few of them were very independent within their curriculum and pedagogy. Teachers had complete autonomy and independence in how they conducted their classes. So, all parents had to gauge how well their children were doing was their kid's report card.

It didn't take long for some teachers to simply give their students "As" across the board and then pat themselves on the back and say "Look how great of a teacher I am because all my kids got "As".

On the other hand, I've also had colleagues who created "No student earns an 'A' in my class" rule. This made me scratch my head. After all, if you give a pop quiz to check if the kids did the reading assignment, and a child correctly answers all 10 questions.....how is a 10/10 a B?

Will the students within the article still have some kind of formal testing procedure to ensure to the child, parent, district, and colleges are learning what they need to know?

Are we going to be having high school graduates with 4.0s but:

- Confuse They're, There, and Their?
- Not know the details of the lead up and end of WWII?
- Be unable to solve this word problem: Sandra read 5 books, Deacon read 6 books and Breanna read 7 books. One book was read by all three children, but every other book was different. How many different books did the children read?
- Know the difference between a proton and a neutron?

I'm more concerned with the fact that more and more school districts across the nation are now prohibiting discouraging teachers from giving any student a zero for no work done.

Under the new grading policy, any work not being done MUST be rewarded with half-credit anyway. Teachers who refuses to comply risks getting fired, just like Mrs. Tirado here:

Florida teacher fired for giving zeros to students who don't turn in assignments

Diane Tirado doesn’t believe in giving credit where it’s not due. The school she used to work at apparently does.

Tirado says she was fired from her job at a Port St. Lucie K-8 school because she insisted on giving students zeros if they didn’t turn in an assignment.

The U.S. history teacher left a goodbye message to her eighth graders on a white board at West Gate K-8 School:

os-ae-florida-teacher-fired-for-giving-zeros-david-whitley-20180925

In Tirado’s mind, no work should mean no credit. But then she checked the West Gate student and parent handbook. Below the chart detailing the score requirements for letter grades, there was a line in red ink.

"NO ZEROS- LOWEST POSSIBLE GRADE IS 50%."

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-25%20at%204.45.14%20AM_1537865680069.png_98533703_ver1.0_900_675.jpg

Tirado said she asked administrators what the score should be if a student doesn’t turn anything in.

“We give them a 50,” she was told.

“I go, ‘Oh, we don’t.’ This isn’t kosher,” Tirado said.

What happened next might also qualify as not being kosher. Tirado was fired on Sept. 14.

Tirado posted her goodbye message on a class app. It hit home with a few students.

“You were right about not giving people 50s because why would you give them half credit for doing nothing?” one student wrote.

She later posted it on her Facebook and it has been shared more than 500 times.

Tirado just hopes the students learned a lesson, even if it wasn’t about U.S. history.

“I’m so upset because we have a nation of kids that are expecting to get paid and live their life just for showing up,” she said to WPTV, “and it’s not real.”

www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/os-ae-florida-teacher-fired-for-giving-zeros-david-whitley-20180925-story.html

Last edited:
Awesome, can't wait for all the people to sue NFL, NBA, NHL, etc. cause they weren't good enough to make the team.

I'm more concern with the fact that more and more school districts across the nation are now prohibiting teacher from giving any student zero for no work done. Under the new grading policy, any homework that did not get turned in must get a score of 50%.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/os-ae-florida-teacher-fired-for-giving-zeros-david-whitley-20180925-story.html?outputType=amp
It's not a good look when schools don't know what percentage means.

I'm more concerned with the fact that more and more school districts across the nation are now "discouraging teacher from giving any student zero for no work done.

Under the new grading policy, any homework that did not get turned in must get a score of 50%, or the teacher might get fired.

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-25%20at%204.45.14%20AM_1537865680069.png_98533703_ver1.0_900_675.jpg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/os-ae-florida-teacher-fired-for-giving-zeros-david-whitley-20180925-story.html?outputType=amp

This sort of policy will always weed out the better teachers and leave us with the worst. Mrs. Tirado was probably fantastic.

The bureaucrats who come up with these policies should be fired and perhaps tarred and feathered. They deserve scorn.

And they have support from certain "minorities groups" in California claiming that the tests are favorable to White students while "discriminatory to disadvantaged students of color".

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that if the lawsuit does go forward, there is no plan for the anti-exam activists to call the disadvantaged Asian-American students who actually study and do well on the SAT/ACT anyway to the Minorities witness stand.
Well it'll be difficult for them to testify cause English isn't their first language.

Compton School District Among Groups Threatening to Sue UC System Unless It Drops the SAT
https://ktla.com/2019/10/29/ca-grou...llege-tests-favor-wealthy-white-students/amp/

Students of color to UC: Drop the SAT or we’ll see you in court
https://www.sfchronicle.com/education/amp/Students-of-color-to-UC-Drop-the-SAT-or-we-ll-14572455.php

California groups demand UC drop the SAT
https://www.latimes.com/california/...y-discriminate-against-disadvantaged-students

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that if the lawsuit does go forward, there is no plan for the anti-standardized exams activists to call the disadvantaged Asian-American students who actually study and do well on the SAT/ACT anyway to the Minorities witness stand.
3 different exams should be created, each on tougher than the next. Each individual student can choose which test he/she will take.

The results should be entered into a national database, which can be viewed by potential colleges and/or employers.

I'm more concerned with the fact that more and more school districts across the nation are now "discouraging teacher from giving any student zero for no work done.

Under the new grading policy, any homework that did not get turned in must get a score of 50%, or the teacher might get fired.

Agreed.

This also reinforces the idea that a student can literally do nothing all semester until the final week and still well...pass.

There are reasonable claims of racist discrimination in America in 2019. These should be taken seriously and we should work toward serious solutions. Sadly, there are also many spurious claims of racism and these should be adamantly resisted, and no, standards should not be dropped. The goal should always be to find ways to improve school performance for black kids to the highest levels, not to drop standards so black kids can participate too.
I don't get how some kids are "underprivileged", though? In what sense???

Don't they ALL receive the same amount of tuition, homework, etc.??? Don't they all read off the same textbooks???

What am I missing here?

[
I don't get how some kids are "underprivileged", though? In what sense???

Don't they ALL receive the same amount of tuition, homework, etc.??? Don't they all read off the same textbooks???

What am I missing here?
You're missing the same thing they are

We can't meet the standards so let's just lower the bar. Sounds like a failing on the part of the district and the parents, with the test being the scapegoat.

Not everyone is college material, not everyone is UC material. Nothing wrong with pushing kids in a direction that they can succeed, versus one they're set up to fail. Nothing wrong with trade school. You can make a really decent living knowing a trade. You can also save a lot of money and work your way up to a university by attending and performing well in a Community College 1st.

Back