The ultimate weight lifting tattoo?

grail25

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
From http://carlzimmer.typepad.com/sciencetattoo/

testosterone_2.jpg

Attached is my tattoo of the 17β-hydroxyandrost-4-en-3-one molecule a.k.a testosterone. I got it a couple of years ago after many years of thinking about getting it. I have a degree in biotechnology and am currently undertaking honours in molecular biology. I am studying the effects of glucocorticoids on fetal lung development.

The tat has to do with my love of lifting heavy weights and the most important molecule for that is testosterone. People can take all the synthetic testosterones and steroid derivatives they want but nothing feels better than knowing after a heavy lift that all you used was that which your testes produced.

I also like to look at it and draw inspiration or just contemplate. I contemplate on what it is to be a man and what it means to be masculine and that it's about strength of character and not just being strong. The best thing about it is that it's unique and brings a smile when I tell people what it is - crazy scientists!

thought you guys might like it

Nice idea, poor execution.

It looks like he had it done in prison.

[insert Saint Wilhelm's shield tattoo design]

Bullshit that's a tattoo, it looks like he just drew it on with a pen. If it is real, it better have cost $3.

Gay, totally gay, Liberace Gay.

Why not tattoo "I love men" on your arm. Besides which it looks like I could have drawn it on with a biro and done a better job.

HA! That's actually an estrogen molecule. Jokes on this guy!

LOL!

that would be like the guys who get chinese symbol thinking it means "I'm a bad ass" to finally fing he's got "I love men" tattoed on is biceps.

Definitely looks like it was drawn with a ball point pen.

Lol, If hes a biotech and molecular biology student, he would need a refund on his education :)

expand_molecule_estro.gif

estrogen

expand_molecule_testo.gif

testosterone

I'm glad somebody posted these two side by side, because I'd like to take this moment to point out that testerone itself seems to have a penis.

I'm glad somebody posted these two side by side, because I'd like to take this moment to point out that testerone itself seems to have a penis.

That's an enlarged clitoris.

Vat is dat?

It's a high-valent iron complex. Duh.

We are interested in synthesizing high-valent iron complexes. High-valent iron is found at the heart of many enzymes capable of functionalizing hydrocarbons. Typically, these reactions involve very reactive and thus unstable species with a Fe=O functional group.

Synthesizing small, stable inorganic complexes containing a Fe=O functional group and studying its reactivity is one of our current goals. Recently, we have synthesized a series of stable Fe4+ complexes. For example, the diamagnetic, trigonal bipyramidal iron(IV) complex, FeCl(PS3), where PS3H3 = P(C6H3-3-Me3Si-2-SH)3, with a tripodal, tetradentate tristhiolatophosphine ligand is shown below. The proligand PS3H3 is also shown below to emphasis its ability, once deprotonated, to act as a tetradentate ligand. Similar complexes have been prepared with Br, I, CN and NCS in place of Cl. The ability of the three sulfur atoms to pi-bond to iron in a trigonal planar arrangement appears to be the key factor stabilizing these complexes. The chemistry of these complexes is actively being studied.

Tin analogues of the iron(IV) complexes have been prepared. These complexes have the same tetradentate ligand and a phenyl group in the fifth coordination site. These complexes are able to transfer the entire ligand to another m3tal. For example, the reaction of PhSn(PS3) with FeCl3 resulted in the formation of the iron(IV) complex FeCl(PS3), in one step.

A different class of complex consisting of two iron atoms and two of the tetradentate ligands is shown below. The six Me3Si groups are omitted for clarity. Each iron is in the 3+ oxidation state. The molecule is diamagnetic at room temperature suggesting antiferromagnetic coupling between the iron atoms. Each ligand intimately wraps around both iron atoms. This molecule can be oxidized by one electron to give a mixed-valence iron(III)-iron(IV) complex, and reduced by one electron to give a mixed-valence iron(III)-iron(II) complex. The magnetic and optical properties of this class of complex will be studied in the future, together with complexes containing two different m3tals.

Back