The Ultimate Runner Up

Tank Abbott. Was Runner-up at both the UFC 6 and Ultimate Ultimate 1996 Tournament (lost to Taktarov and Frye in respective final). He entered other tournaments but these was his best results.

He also lost to Maurice smith for the HW title @ UFC 15

Tank definitely. Also if Tank had of been the one to beat Kimbo down, that could've been huge. Although we know now, it wasn't that huge, haha.

I just looked up Scott Ferrozzo, he went in 2 UFC tournaments and made the finals both times. At UFC 11 he won an alternate bout and ended up replacing someone who couldn't continue. He then beat Tank to make it to the finals, but withdrew because of fatigue and a cut. Then he made the finals at UFC 12, only to be TKO'd by Vitor in under a minute. Harsh times.

Tank definitely. Also if Tank had of been the one to beat Kimbo down, that could've been huge. Although we know now, it wasn't that huge, haha.

I just looked up Scott Ferrozzo, he went in 2 UFC tournaments and made the finals both times. At UFC 11 he won an alternate bout and ended up replacing someone who couldn't continue. He then beat Tank to make it to the finals, but withdrew because of fatigue and a cut. Then he made the finals at UFC 12, only to be TKO'd by Vitor in under a minute. Harsh times.

Not to mention Scott lost to Tank in that backyard brawl. worst robbery i've seen lol

Pedro Rizzo deserves a mention. He beat several guys who were either former champs or would go on to become champs (and arguably beat Randy for the belt). Yet, he was never able to pick up gold in any major promotion.

List of champs he beat:
  • Barnett
  • Arlovski
  • Ricco
  • Coleman
  • Severn (Superfight champ)

His KO's over Barnett and Arlovski were brutal.

rizzobarnettko.gif

koski.gif

Well done ! I must agree..

vote_for_pedro_by_aledio.png

Arona. I still think he would've dominated the UFC LHW division with their rules, scoring system, and judging (until Bones came along, or maybe Machida).

Never won the big one but has wins over the last 2 PRIDE MW champions and got robbed against the HW GOAT.

Il go with Kenny as well as Maynard

I thought the thread was a play on words of the Ultimate Fighter. Ultimate Runner up you know? Especially when I was Florian.

I guess Chael might join the list if he loses to Jones in April.

"If" lol...

I gotta go with Grey Maynard who practically had the strap in his hands twice after rocking Edgar hard in the first rounds of his two title shots but lacked killer instinct to finish the job.

KenFlo had more chances but got handled in all three if I remember correctly.

"If" lol...

I gotta go with Grey Maynard who practically had the strap in his hands twice after rocking Edgar hard in the first rounds of his two title shots but lacked killer instinct to finish the job.

KenFlo had more chances but got handled in all three if I remember correctly.

Maynard didn't lack killer instinct at all, he was all over Edgar and going apeshit on him as if he literally wanted him dead. It was nothing short of wizardry that Edgar survived those 1st rounds.

Maynard didn't lack killer instinct at all, he was all over Edgar and going apeshit on him as if he literally wanted him dead. It was nothing short of wizardry that Edgar survived those 1st rounds.

Talent and heart is how Edgar survived... fighters with killer instinct finish when they smell blood and Grey let up big-time... if Grey went after Frankie the way Matt Serra went after GSP after rocking him then I don't see how Grey losses, he didn't go after Frankie and failed the next 4 rounds too. That's not killer instinct.

Talent and heart is how Edgar survived... fighters with killer instinct finish when they smell blood and Grey let up big-time... if Grey went after Frankie the way Matt Serra went after GSP after rocking him then I don't see how Grey losses, he didn't go after Frankie and failed the next 4 rounds too. That's not killer instinct.

Let up? In their second fight he knocked Edgar down 5 or 6 times in the first round - and that's not even counting the numerous times Edgar fell on his face from being hit and tried to grab an ankle or something as if he were going for a takedown while he was falling. The only letting up he did was after he gassed out from essentially running a dead sprint with his punches.

Serra finished GSP because GSP isn't as durable or resolute as Edgar. We saw in the 3rd round of the Condit fight that many critics underestimated these qualities of GSP but Edgar is on a different level in that respect. Nobody is putting him away.

Florian and Sonnen. Sonnen has a chance to change that with a big upset vs. JBJ.

Let up? In their second fight he knocked Edgar down 5 or 6 times in the first round - and that's not even counting the numerous times Edgar fell on his face from being hit and tried to grab an ankle or something as if he were going for a takedown while he was falling. The only letting up he did was after he gassed out from essentially running a dead sprint with his punches.

Serra finished GSP because GSP isn't as durable or resolute as Edgar. We saw in the 3rd round of the Condit fight that many critics underestimated these qualities of GSP but Edgar is on a different level in that respect. Nobody is putting him away.
Edgar was "out" and beat to death. It was a woeful failure by the Referee. The Ref, even with Edgar's Corner calling for the stoppage, and Edgar clinging to the fence with his back to the fight, disregarded Frankie's well being, big time.
In fact, either Maynard/Edgar Title Fights could have been stopped seconds into the fight, and not an eyebrow would have been raised.
Maynard's career is far from over; and he only has 1 loss.

Back