The Ultimate Runner Up

Funkoar

Green Belt
Reaction score
In this thread, I want to see posts about guys who were no doubt elite, but, lost when it really mattered most. The type of guy that could've had that a GOAT status about them. Without any disrespect to any of the fighters.

I will go ahead and name the, most likely, obvious one.

Kenny Florian
kenny_florian_2006_10_13.jpg

Kenny was constantly put into great positions to be one of the greatest, but always fell short at the final hurdle.

Kenny's first stumble was at The Ultimate Fighter Finale. Fighting for the first Middleweight crown, he was unfortunately finished by Diego Sanchez only 2:49 into the fight.

Kenny was then thrown into a title fight against Sean Sherk after only 1 win at LW. He lost a decision. This could have really been Kenny's moment, as he went on an absolute tear in the LW division soon after.

After the massive win streak, Kenny was given another shot at the title, against BJ Penn. Once again, Kenny wound up being on the wrong end, he lost another title fight.

Kenny went back to work in the LW division, getting 2 victories via submission. He was then put into a fight with Gray Maynard, which would see the winner move on to a title shot. Lo and behold, Kenny ended up losing this fight. So close and yet so far.

Soon after, the WEC was merged with the UFC, bringing across the featherweight division. Kenny jumped at the chance to go down and work his way to a title shot. Kenny beat Diego Nunes and it was then announced he would be fighting Jose Aldo for the FW title.

Once more poor Kenny was beaten and the title was moved out of reach. So many opportunities, yet he came up short. What a legend he could've been, although I still think he is one.

ps. I love Kenny, but he has always been second place.

What are some others? Faber? Henderson? Marquardt? Cro Cop?

Pedro Rizzo deserves a mention. He beat several guys who were either former champs or would go on to become champs (and arguably beat Randy for the belt). Yet, he was never able to pick up gold in any major promotion.

List of champs he beat:
  • Barnett
  • Arlovski
  • Ricco
  • Coleman
  • Severn (Superfight champ)

His KO's over Barnett and Arlovski were brutal.

rizzobarnettko.gif

koski.gif

Last edited:
Fedor. He was never champ of the UFC so he is the ultimate runner up

(Before people get butthurt, I'm just joking)

Florian
Marquardt
Rizzo
Bisping(for now)
And Idk of Maynard belongs on this list YET. I mean he's only had two title fights and went 0-1-1 which isn't good, but given the circumstances I'd say let's give him more time.
And Cerrone

Fedor. He was never champ of the UFC so he is the ultimate runner up

I do not think it is fair to say he was a runner up fighter. Fedor was the #1 ranked Heavyweight and held several titles in major organizations like Pride FC and Affliction.

Pedro Rizzo deserves a mention. He beat several guys who were either former champs or would go on to become champs (and arguably beat Randy for the belt). Yet, he was never able to pick up gold in any major promotion.

List of champs he beat:
  • Barnett
  • Arlovski
  • Ricco
  • Coleman
  • Severn (Superfight champ)

His KO's over Barnett and Arlovski were brutal.

rizzobarnettko.gif

koski.gif

Damn, good call dude. 3 title shots in the UFC, lost all.

What about Bigfoot Silva? Lately he has been thrown into great fights, but hasn't really taken advantage of it, he did beat Fedor though.

Didn't know you were joking :)

There are people on here who feel that way, so you can't blame me entirely.

Haha yeah I know, I was making fun of them. Thats why I edited it right away though so when I wake up in the morning I don't have 10 notifications telling me how much of a noob I am.

Sarcasm doesn't always work on the internet..

I guess Chael might join the list if he loses to Jones in April.

Damn, good call dude. 3 title shots in the UFC, lost all.

What about Bigfoot Silva? Lately he has been thrown into great fights, but hasn't really taken advantage of it, he did beat Fedor though.

It's too early to say. I know it's cool to hate on Bigfoot around here, but I still think he has what it takes to become champ some day. One punch in the heavyweight division can change the entire fight. If Bigfoot gets on top of you, chances are you will not get back up.

If he never captures a belt, I would consider him one of the best fighters to never hold a title.

How could I forget Koscheck!

But I think that's just because of this certain Canadian guy.. If he were never around I think Koscheck would've won the title at least once

It's too early to say. I know it's cool to hate on Bigfoot around here, but I still think he has what it takes to become champ some day. One punch in the heavyweight division can change the entire fight. If Bigfoot gets on top of you, chances are you will not get back up.

If he never captures a belt, I would consider him one of the best fighters to never hold a title.

He got the EliteXC, for what it's worth haha.

But I agree.

I just think if he loses to Overeem, it will be a long road back to the top guys. He hammered Fedor, then lost to Cormier. He was given Cain, who is now champion. And now he is up against Reem. If he beat Cormier or Cain, people would be crazy for this guy.

Caol Uno? He did win the Shooto belt, though.

And Joe B, maybe? Although it is too soon to tell for him.

Chael. Perennial 2nd. Even when he beat a champ, it wasn't for the title officially.

In this thread, I want to see posts about guys who were no doubt elite, but, lost when it really mattered most. The type of guy that could've had that a GOAT status about them. Without any disrespect to any of the fighters.

I will go ahead and name the, most likely, obvious one.

Kenny Florian
kenny_florian_2006_10_13.jpg

Kenny was constantly put into great positions to be one of the greatest, but always fell short at the final hurdle.

Kenny's first stumble was at The Ultimate Fighter Finale. Fighting for the first Middleweight crown, he was unfortunately finished by Diego Sanchez only 2:49 into the fight.

Kenny was then thrown into a title fight against Sean Sherk after only 1 win at LW. He lost a decision. This could have really been Kenny's moment, as he went on an absolute tear in the LW division soon after.

After the massive win streak, Kenny was given another shot at the title, against BJ Penn. Once again, Kenny wound up being on the wrong end, he lost another title fight.

Kenny went back to work in the LW division, getting 2 victories via submission. He was then put into a fight with Gray Maynard, which would see the winner move on to a title shot. Lo and behold, Kenny ended up losing this fight. So close and yet so far.

Soon after, the WEC was merged with the UFC, bringing across the featherweight division. Kenny jumped at the chance to go down and work his way to a title shot. Kenny beat Diego Nunes and it was then announced he would be fighting Jose Aldo for the FW title.

Once more poor Kenny was beaten and the title was moved out of reach. So many opportunities, yet he came up short. What a legend he could've been, although I still think he is one.

ps. I love Kenny, but he has always been second place.

What are some others? Faber? Henderson? Marquardt? Cro Cop?

Kenny for me is more someone who had clearly favourable booking for much of his career but came up short when he was forced to face less favoirable booking vs the champs.

I can't really see the case for guys like Crocop and Henderson who have both won titles in strong divisions.

Tank Abbott. Was Runner-up at both the UFC 6 and Ultimate Ultimate 1996 Tournament (lost to Taktarov and Frye in respective final). He entered other tournaments but these was his best results.

He also lost to Maurice smith for the HW title @ UFC 15

Last edited:
for my money Kenny Florian is the most intelligent fighter in the game, ever. With the combination of his patience and timing, as well as several other factors, he rarely was compromised and I cannot recall him ever being hit cleanly, other than at the end of the Nunes fight. He perhaps has the greatest "Fight I.Q." of all time. People talk about his credentials, but imo, this is the reason why he was truly great.

Back