The UFC's ruleset is as anti-BJJ as it gets!

We can improve the anti-bjj and wrestling bias.

The five minute rounds, making fights start on their feet on the beginning of each round and not where it ended in the previous, the judges scoring a lose for the one being on the bottom, not to mention the fence who makes it impossible to move your hips when you are stuck against it are all parameters that make bjj very uneffective in today's ruleset.
I think we need the first round to be 10 minutes and the fight to be started in the same position where it ended in the previous, and scoring who favors more the guy on the bottom if he's actually working.
Sadly, it won't happen for business reasons since casuals want to see standing fights but it would be way more realistic and entertaining for those who understand the beauty of bjj.

Lol i remember when they banned those heel kicks in the guard that you could land on the back/kidneys.

I just see distance management and perfecting the overhook as neccessary steps in bjj evolution. I'm not even neccesarily proposing the death of pure bjj. Just an understanding of what happens when you fight someone
Honestly can't comment about that. Don't have any real life experience with pure bjj at all, only mma bjj, so I won't rebut your point. You're probably right about that. I think, and hopefully you got my point, but bjj is not as well suited for mma as people think, at least on its own. Gracies got away with what they did because Noone knew jiu jitsu. For bjj guys to be effective I think your wrestling needs to super super on point to get you in position for subs, whether that's, as you said distance management to get in close enough to work in the clinch to get standing or jumping subs like Ortega did to Swanson or something simpler like double legs or something of the sort. Because the current ruleset forces them to evolve and become better. The zahabi method would not only allow them to be lazy and complacent but it would do disproportionately favor that it would be detrimental to the sport's pace and excitement. Imagine how much of a drag it would be to get back into turtle position after just surviving a round. Also you wouldn't be able to be saved by the bell. It'd totally unfairly favor jiu jitsu ... Or Sambo guys. The only upside would be seeing the look on conor's face as he heads back into stacked guard against the fence against Khabib in round two. Also the cage serves its purpose. Makes ring feel tighter and smaller, harder to run away from your opponent, helps with tdd, takedowns, striking (cornering your opponent), evasion, even with bjj standing guillotines etc. Rules should stay as they are. Maybe scoring sub attempts a bit higher. In the meantime Ortega should learn to wrestle, imagine Ortega with Demian Maia takedowns

Honestly can't comment about that. Don't have any real life experience with pure bjj at all, only mma bjj, so I won't rebut your point. You're probably right about that. I think, and hopefully you got my point, but bjj is not as well suited for mma as people think, at least on its own. Gracies got away with what they did because Noone knew jiu jitsu. For bjj guys to be effective I think your wrestling needs to super super on point to get you in position for subs, whether that's, as you said distance management to get in close enough to work in the clinch to get standing or jumping subs like Ortega did to Swanson or something simpler like double legs or something of the sort. Because the current ruleset forces them to evolve and become better. The zahabi method would not only allow them to be lazy and complacent but it would do disproportionately favor that it would be detrimental to the sport's pace and excitement. Imagine how much of a drag it would be to get back into turtle position after just surviving a round. Also you wouldn't be able to be saved by the bell. It'd totally unfairly favor jiu jitsu ... Or Sambo guys. The only upside would be seeing the look on conor's face as he heads back into stacked guard against the fence against Khabib in round two. Also the cage serves its purpose. Makes ring feel tighter and smaller, harder to run away from your opponent, helps with tdd, takedowns, striking (cornering your opponent), evasion, even with bjj standing guillotines etc. Rules should stay as they are. Maybe scoring sub attempts a bit higher. In the meantime Ortega should learn to wrestle, imagine Ortega with Demian Maia takedowns

Well everyone really got away from developing the root of all this conversation which is judo, and that has been the biggest mistake in terms of self defense and mma

Well everyone really got away from developing the root of all this conversation which is judo, and that has been the biggest mistake in terms of self defense and mma
Yeah with them banning double legs and stuff.

I think the entire rule set and scoring system needs a redo. You can definitely create a scoring system that pushes the action on the ground and standing.

If u score round by round it makes no sense to start rounds in positions where they ended....

Who gives a fuck? I went to NYU undergrad as a National Merit Scholar and then got a top 20 law degree. You think academic math in a pre-doctorate program is going to impress me? Plus that math building is a g#d awful soviet styled monstrosity.
I have a PhD in Gender Studies from MIT.

I agree the round should start on the ground in the position it was in at the end of the last round.
That would suck for strikers. I think that would encourage too much passivity on the ground.

Each round is supposed to stand on it's own. I think it is fairer that way.

Nailed it with the last sentence tbh.

Knockouts make the most money so give the fans what they want

Using this logic one could argue that UFC rules are anti-boxing because they allow take downs and don't separate when they clinch.

Here's a thought, how about these BJJ guys focus on a mixture of martial arts to be successful in mixed martial arts. Crazy idea, I know.

TS is right, lol at all the idiots in this thread. The rules favor strikers blatantly. That's just a fact.
Whether it should be that way or not, if you like it or not, that's a different discussion. But TS stated a fact.

No doubt many of the rule changes were to offset the effectiveness of BJJ. Judging was bad too. Charuto dominated Hughes and lost because the judges didn't understand shit. The first time I remember being truly pissed off at the changes is when Jerry Bohlander laid on Fabio Gurgel for a cheap win in UFC 11.

Back