The UFC's 10 Most Effective/Greatest Strikers

KNM

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I know this subject has been talked about a lot, a lot a lot a lot but I just want to see if I can start a intelligent conversation.

And there lies the problem. My definition of a great striker might very from someone else's. I might say "well if they can hit their opponent and shut down there game plan with out getting hit back that's a good striker."

Someone else might say"man this guys knocks everybody out no matter how bad his opponent beats them up".

Or we might all say "an early/late knock out shows most dominance."

Brawler, counter puncher, tactician, Kickboxer, Thai fighters, who have been the most successful strikers in the UFC?

Just to name a few

Pure Skill and some of my favorite to watch
Anthony Pettis
Anderson Silva
Condit

Damage without getting hit much
GSP
Mighty Mouse
Dominic Cruz
Edgar
Aldo
Cerrone

KO Power
Lawler
Hendricks
Dan Henderson
Wanderlei Silva
Chuck Liddell
Fedor

Fun to watch
Nick Diaz
Mike Brown

My personal Favorite Striker is Pettis

shoveltime.gif[

In terms of greatest striker of all time its really hard to go past Anderson but guys like Machida, Dos Santos and Anthony Pettis surely have to be there. Vitor as well

Jake Shields
Matt Riddle
Keith Jardine
Jon Fitch
Chris Tsucherer
Cody McKenzie
Jacob Volkmann
Brock Lesnar
Leonard Garcia

you brought up effectiveness in comparison to technique, which is what it comes down to. Hendo is a good striker as far as effectiveness goes, as was Carwin, but aside from their power & chin, they don't have much.

Then you have Overeem in contrast, a guy who's beaten a lot of good strikers and tends to outstrike everyone, but then gets KO'd. Getting that KO means you're better, but not more skilled. It's easier to make a list of MMA strikers based on effectiveness, but, imo, the Silva's, Overeem's, Page's and Gus' are where the best are.

then there are a few that are both skilled and effective, like Pettis, Machida and Aldo. Those are the easiest to put on those lists.

Hmmm there's quite a few.

Prime BJ was a great boxer.

Right now I'd say a Dominic Cruz or Anthony Pettis. Those are two guys that no matter how hard you train for, can still make you like a complete amateur.

Also, Jon Jones - bring on the flack but the guy has out struck some high-level strikers.

Anthony Njokuani has beautfiul technique and doesn't get mentioned as much as he should in these threads.

Back