The UFC was trying to build Brazilian stars and it blew up in their faces

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by JamesFromATL, Oct 10, 2013.

1. JamesFromATL

JamesFromATL Blue Belt

With Fight Night 29 the UFC seemed to be trying to build up Brazilian fighters and create stars with which they could make more money in Brazil. Let's face it, on paper the three top fights of the card looked like the Brazilians would win.

Main event - "let's get rid of the boring wrestler Jake Shields by having him fight Maia, Maia will surely submit him and then we can put Shields on the prelims and give Maia a title shot."

Co-Main event - "Let's give Erick Silva someone respectable, but that he should be able to beat." It was as if even the announcers had been told to hype Silva during the fight, I remember Jon Anik said after Silva missed a punch "Wow, even Silva's misses are exciting!" Then out of nowhere *POW* right in the kisser! Silva's knocked out, and the hype train goes careening off the tracks into the ravine.

Pierce vs Palhares - another "get rid of the boring wrestler by having him get submitted" fight. Though this one actually worked the way Zuffa wanted it to, they ended up having to cut Palhares, so perhaps this fight was the biggest backfire of all. Now Bellator or WSOF will get Palhares, who is still coming off a win on a main card.

2. Lustercross

Lustercross Brown Belt

Wasteland

3. The Editing

The Editing Blue Belt

In his last 11 fights Maia has one submission victory. Do you really believe what you are saying?

4. Contraction**

Contraction** Banned Banned

Not sure that was UFCs idea but hey, the Brazilians lost clearly

I personally had Dong and Maia winning pre fight, good fights for sure

5. Graniteeyed

Graniteeyed How is my avatar actually better than yours?

You mean the dong blew up in their faces.

Get it? The dong...blew up...face? Stitches: I'm in them.

6. JamesFromATL

JamesFromATL Blue Belt

And of his three fights at welterweight before Shields, 1 TKO, 1 very impressive submission over wrestler Rick Story that some people call "the rear naked torque", and a dominant decision of wrestler Jon Fitch where Fitch was basically in danger of being choked out half the fight. Then the UFC used Fitch losing as an excuse to cut him.

Then they give Maia Jake Shields next, another wrestler that many people (not me though) think is boring. Do you see a pattern here?

7. The Editing

The Editing Blue Belt

What you said was that they fed Shields, a grappling ace, to Maia to make sure he was submitted, when Maia has one submission in like 5 years. That's a step past the normal Sherdog stupidity.

8. Bargey

Bargey Red Belt

This. But somehow the TS expected a grappling wiz like Shields to get subbed.

Retard much?

9. M.V.C.

M.V.C. Silver Belt

You know Shields was a replacement and Maia wouldn't even fight in this card, right?

You know Shields is arguably a TOP 5 MW of all time, right?

Srsly, do you even know what you're saying? Or you are just bitter about brazillians for no reason? Or maybe a retarded reason.

10. JamesFromATL

JamesFromATL Blue Belt

Maia had been on a tear at Welterweight, Jon Fitch had never been dominated like that on the ground. Then they give Maia another wrestler in his hometown. The fight was clearly designed for Maia to win, that's obvious.

But hey, people also called me a retard six months ago when I said the UFC was looking for an excuse to cut Okami. http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f56/yushin-okami-last-nights-episode-tuf-2423731/

11. Flexwave2003

Flexwave2003 International Playboy

Brazil is one of the best places to find mixed martial arts talent. Guys like Belfort, Erik Silva, Feijao, the list goes on...are absolutely worthy of investment.

The UFC seems slow in acquiring fighters from another talent latent area of the world, Russia, and its surrounding countries for some reason? I think thats a mistake personally. Luckily Bellator doesnt seem to mind bringing these guys in.

12. JamesFromATL

JamesFromATL Blue Belt

And Jon Fitch was #2 Welterweight in the world before Maia dominated him. Also can you give me more info on Shields being a replacement, I know that Maia was supposed to fight Koscheck back in August, but as far as I know the Shields vs Maia fight had been scheduled for a long time. Anyway, Shields is a top MW of all time, but he's also getting old and past his prime, no one would say he's a top 10 middleweight now, this isn't the stone age.

13. chaos_36

chaos_36 DOOM all capitals no trick spelling.

That bit cracked me up for some reason.

14. BJJesus

BJJesus Blue Belt

Pierce was the favorite actually.

15. JamesFromATL

JamesFromATL Blue Belt

I think Zuffa has a bad relationship with Russia because of the whole Fedor debacle. Whatever MMA businessmen exist in Russia, they don't like Zuffa and vice versa. I also think the Russian fighters don't like Dana White for his badmouthing of Fedor.

16. M.V.C.

M.V.C. Silver Belt

I knew it was a retarded reason.

Bitter about UFC cutting boring fighters.

Have a nice day, I've had enough crying about it.

17. JamesFromATL

JamesFromATL Blue Belt

What? That makes absolutely no sense. Is English even your first language?

I'm not bitter about anything, I'm happy. I like it when Zuffa's plans go awry. Just like back at UFC 78 I think it was? The one called "Knockout" where Shogun lost to Forrest Griffin and Chuck Liddell lost to Kieth Jardine. That was awesome.

18. Phil McKracken

Phil McKracken .

I thought Dong was a bad match up for Silva actually, but I never saw it ending how it did...

19. countswagula

countswagula Gold Belt

If anything they've been giving brazilian guys all they can handle in the Brazil cards. Okami and DHK are notorious for shutting down prospects.

20. M.V.C.

M.V.C. Silver Belt

No, it isn't. Maybe yours isn't as well, because I said it perfectly.

You're just a hater for no reason.

"OMG I hate Zuffa but I still watch them".