The UFC/Off-Topic Thread v7

He beat hoost didn’t he? And won the Japan Grand Prix, but his mma record is about as good as James Thompson’s.

I believe he beat him twice... but that was a super old Hoost. Still tho... point taken.

K-1 HW was entertaining, but never a super elite level competition to me. K-1 Max was amazing tho. Unfortunately, I haven't followed Max in years, or know if it is even still around.

I don't know where else to post this so:

This picture or rather photoshoot with our lord and savior Canelo is a thing of beauty. What a time to be alive.

The IG post of our life time.

I wonder how many females soaked their panties when that post popped up on their IG. Instant waterfall.

edit: that horses mane looks like Shakira's hair.

I always wondered why people are so high on this "godlike K-1 striking". I don't really watch or care for kickboxing and those techniques work in that discipline for sure cause otherwise guys wouldn't use them... But to me, a lot of these fights are terribly messy things as a spectator, especially the heavyweights. Horrible defense, the constant shoving and falling. I respect anyone's craft at anything, but I take almost zero pleasure in watching kickbox/muay thai fights, they just look sloppy and stupid to watch almost all the time imo.

Didn't Bobb Sapp win one of those K-1 events as well? How the fuck is something like that even possible?

Rogan really hyped it up after Overeem won the 2010 K-1 World Grand Prix (WGP). He kept saying that he was easily the best striker in MMA after that. The K-1 level striking myth started with Rogan parroting that shit over and over. I watch kickboxing and MT still but not as much as I used to. Reem had the knees he was known for and guillotine in MMA.

Sapp won the 2005 K-1 Japan Grand Prix, not the World Grand Prix. He was in the 2002 K-1 WGP and actually beat Hoost twice in 2002. The first win was on cuts and the second was seen as controversial IIRC. He would bum rush guys and go berserk on them. But, he outweighed Hoost by like 100 pounds of muscle and was powerful as hell. Hoost cracked his ribs and damaged him to where he couldn't continue in the tournament so Hoost was allowed to step back in and take his place where Hoost won the K-1 WGP for the fifth time.

The IG post of our life time.

I wonder how many females soaked their panties when that post popped up on their IG. Instant waterfall.

edit: that horses mane looks like Shakira's hair.

That is a beautiful horse

Showed the picture to my girlfriend and... I think she likes boxing now.

Why the fuck did the ref not stop Orlando wiet vs Robert Lucarelli? John McCarthy just stands here watching the dude getting flattened and the corner has to throw the towel in (too late as well).

Holy shiy Robbie just ate a 30 punch combo from Do Santos. It was beatiful. body shots and head shots in bunches and bunches

I always wondered why people are so high on this "godlike K-1 striking". I don't really watch or care for kickboxing and those techniques work in that discipline for sure cause otherwise guys wouldn't use them... But to me, a lot of these fights are terribly messy things as a spectator, especially the heavyweights. Horrible defense, the constant shoving and falling. I respect anyone's craft at anything, but I take almost zero pleasure in watching kickbox/muay thai fights, they just look sloppy and stupid to watch almost all the time imo.

Didn't Bobb Sapp win one of those K-1 events as well? How the fuck is something like that even possible?
Overeem might not be gods gift to striking as some mma fans make him out to be but he really is a lot better usually then what he showed against Ngannou,which appeared to be a suicidal deathwish in that final exchange.

Why the fuck did the ref not stop Orlando wiet vs Robert Lucarelli? John McCarthy just stands here watching the dude getting flattened and the corner has to throw the towel in (too late as well).
That's a hard one to watch.

well on top of hoost's stubborn gameplan of staying in the pocket with a guy who is over a hunded pounds heavier,the ref certainly was letting sapp break several rules without penalty.

McCarthy wasn't allowed to stop any of the fights during UFC 2, Sun. He's talked about that a few times. That was the first event that he refereed and he told the promotion after it that he wouldn't do another card for them unless he was given the power to stop the fights, which was obviously given to him. But at UFC 2 he was pretty much helpless to intervene.

McCarthy wasn't allowed to stop any of the fights during UFC 2, Sun. He's talked about that a few times. That was the first event that he refereed and he told the promotion after it that he wouldn't do another card for them unless he was given the power to stop the fights, which was obviously given to him. But at UFC 2 he was pretty much helpless to intervene.
I didn’t watch mma until much later but that’s just insane. Thanks for the info.

So the last UFC event is worth watching? Overeem got slept? Was that it? Also, any MMA on this weekend? I don't see any boxing.

Any more, I like to try to catch Bellator if it is on. Those guys are hungry, looking for finishes.

So the last UFC event is worth watching? Overeem got slept? Was that it? Also, any MMA on this weekend? I don't see any boxing.

Any more, I like to try to catch Bellator if it is on. Those guys are hungry, looking for finishes.
Depends. I enjoyed the main event, the term fight was scary and if you’re just bleed you got another ko in there. If you like watching people get outclassed there’s two other fights. In my opinion.

Depends. I enjoyed the main event, the term fight was scary and if you’re just bleed you got another ko in there. If you like watching people get outclassed there’s two other fights. In my opinion.

Gotcha. Sounds like finishes. I think I'll get a copy and catch it. lol

Garbo Garcia misses weight by 27lbs? What the fuck is that? Are people trying to make women’s MMA look like a farce? Not only that but her opponent weighed in at like 163lbs and is a 53 year old former pro wrestler?

This is like Bart Gunn vs butterbean.

Anybody watching this card tonight? Not much interest from me besides the Khabib-Barboza matchup, although I suppose I do have some mild interest in watching Holm stick it to Ms Cyborg and sending her down to defeat for once.

Anybody watching this card tonight? Not much interest from me besides the Khabib-Barboza matchup, although I suppose I do have some mild interest in watching Holm stick it to Ms Cyborg and sending her down to defeat for once.
I saw the first fight, then decided to watch robocop 2 for some reason. Id like to see cyborg get the crap kicked out of... her... but let’s see.

Seems like every one of those degenerates in the gambling section on Sherdog are taking Barboza.

Seems like every one of those degenerates in the gambling section on Sherdog are taking Barboza.
Interesting. I’ve seen them both a few times and I’m not convinced, but my knowledge of grappling and jits isn’t as good as those guys, why Barboza?

Interesting. I’ve seen them both a few times and I’m not convinced, but my knowledge of grappling and jits isn’t as good as those guys, why Barboza?

I don't know, Sun. Could be some "group think" at play maybe. Barboza certainly has a shot if he can keep it standing (or catch Khabib coming in like Johnson did), though, albeit I think Khabib should be the clear favourite and expect it to be business as usual for him.

Back