The UFC needs to stop full sending

PlatinumColbyCovington

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The biggest problem with the UFC is their shitty matchmaking. It's like they're purposely fucking over their prospects instead of putting in the time to build them. Cain for example was coming off a 2-3 year layoff. You'd think they'd give him someone like the Black Beast to kind of see where he's at in his FIRST fight back, but they opt to full send it with the Ngannou matchup. Now Cain is pretty much irrelevant. Zero hype. They really need to get rid of the whole "this is the UFC where the best fight the best, if you can't compete with the best then you shouldn't be here" mindset. This is likely why there are certain cards which are ABSOLUTELY LAUGHABLE. The shitty matchmaking is killing off any potential prospects and buzz for their fighters.

Askren vs Lawler. I mean there are a HANDFUL of better matchups for Askren, yet they decide to FULL SEND it and give him a guy who may not be the best in the division, but a zombie who can EASILY knock Askren's LIGHTS OUT and take YEARS off his life. It's like the UFC is working AGAINST their fighters instead of BUILDING them up. I mean, I doubt Lawler is coming near another title shot regardless of the outcome of the fight, but if Askren is KO'd by Lawler, it completely ruins the buzz for a future Askren vs Usman or Askren vs Colby fight.

Tl;dr: Half send > Full send

Full send= fights creating the most revenue regardless of fighters career paths

I agree with your premise actually; but I feel the opposite about Askren. They’re giving him a big name guy that is a good matchup for him in that everyone knows a good wrestler has the best chance against Robbie. And we all know Askren is top tier in the wrestling world. So he gets the win and it’s against a big name

They dont even do that when it doesnt serve their purpose, weird tho, could be that they are building Ngannou off Cain tho...still, they usually eliminate top contenders instead of building them, is the shit part of having a monopoly of a single belt and a handfull of divisions where everyone cuts too much weight.

Cain wanted the fight though...

Cain is in his late 30s and barely fights
His best buddy that he will never fight is the champ

Your perspective of the matchmaking is off
They were building up (or rebuilding) the other guy

giphy.gif

Ngannou winning is better for them than Cain. Cain is always hurt and even if he stayed healthy he wouldn't fight DC for the title.

why would they give Cain Black Beast instead of Ngannou? Black Beast just fought for the title and beat Ngannou.

i love how everyone acts like Derek Lewis is soft. Black Beast could've easily done what Ngannou did to Cain then what would you be up here talking about? they should've gave him Greg Hardy?

Cain is not a prospect lol.... Cain was being used to build up Ngannou so the UFC did exactly what you wanted them to do (build prospects by using BIG but irrelevant names.) Also, they are feeding Lawler to Askren as Lawler used to routinely get handled on the mats by ground fighters in strikeforce.

I completely agree. UFC needs to go more of the boxing route and build their contenders up rather than starting them off with killers. That's one of the reasons why they've had trouble building stars imo.

Bellator, for all the shit they get as a get as a 2nd rate promotion, does a FAR SUPERIOR job of this. Look at what they've done with guys like AJ McKee and Michael Chandler after his setbacks. They eased him along to get his confidence back up, and now he's back to being a world beater. THIS is what they should have done with Chris Weidman. He'd be in a much better place in his career right now, instead of 1 - 4 in his last 5.

Pretty sure they like to use timing and circumstance to make f tons of cash gambling with inside knowledge.
"Sport"
<{MingNope}>

Cain is in his late 30s and barely fights
His best buddy that he will never fight is the champ

Your perspective of the matchmaking is off
They were building up (or rebuilding) the other guy

giphy.gif

Yep, Cain was the fluffer.

So you are saying the UFC shouldn’t make the best fights possible?

Ufc matchmaking has proven to be horrendous at times. It's like they have coins and are in the back flipping them picking fights. Fucken ridiculous

I agree with the OP. The dudes on “Heavy Hands” podcast put it best (in talking about matching up prospects so that they derail each other instead of getting a chance to properly develop) : “UFC matchmaking is like a toddler smashing his favorite action figures together”

the ufc is a business unless Dana doesn't like you and he doesn't like Ben so he's trying to get him knocked out

Stopped reading at could have give him someone like the Black Beast.

Beast beat Ngannou and could blow up Cain's face too.

I agree with your premise actually; but I feel the opposite about Askren. They’re giving him a big name guy that is a good matchup for him in that everyone knows a good wrestler has the best chance against Robbie. And we all know Askren is top tier in the wrestling world. So he gets the win and it’s against a big name
Eh, what? It's the complete opposite of what you just said because Robbie has one of the best TDD in WW history. He's a horrible and one of the matchups for Askren in the WW division

Back