The UFC needs to resign Kyoji Horiguchi.

Good luck with that. Dude is a star in Rizin, their top fighter. He ain't leaving.

Not when the UFC is only go to pay him 80/80 at the most (without being Champ). Of he were american (or acted like Ichihara), with his style and record, things would probably be different.

The only other major website that has comprehensive WW rankings is Fight Matrix, which uses a mathematical formula based purely on activity and results with no human votes, and they rank these four guys as follows:

Gabriel Oliveira #55 http://www.fightmatrix.com/mma-ranks/bantamweight/3/
Yuki Motoya #66 http://www.fightmatrix.com/mma-ranks/bantamweight/3/
Hiromasa Ogikubo #124 http://www.fightmatrix.com/mma-ranks/bantamweight/5/
Manel Kape #181 http://www.fightmatrix.com/mma-ranks/bantamweight/8/

I'm not going to waste time arguing with your biased personal opinions, but Gucci is a top 10 ranked fighter WW fighting guys that are outside the top 50, some outside the top 100. He's crushing cans overseas.
What I was agreeing with you? Tapology says Ian McCall is the 94th greatest MMA fighter of all time (all-divisions). So that's a huge win.

What I was agreeing with you. Tapology says Ian McCall is the 94th greatest MMA fighter of all time (all-divisions). So that's a huge win.

All-time rankings doesn't mean shit. Ali would be ranked top 10 boxer all time, yet the average Sherdogger could have beaten his ass easily in 2010. What matters is the ranking when the fight took place. This is what Ian McCall's record looked like leading up to the Gucci bout:

G88tJoo.jpg

And he's ranked well outside the top 150 in his division when he fought Gucci on both Tapology (#173) and Fight Matrix (#318, their mathematical formula has built in ranking decay that penalizes heavily against inactivity). It's a completely meaningless win for a top 10 fighter.

Because UFC doesn't give a shit about the Japanese market. It's very low on their list of regional priorities. UFC's expansion in Japan has failed as miserably as the Xbox.

They cared about the Japanese market at one point.

Just look at how many chances they gave Gomi, Akiyama and Kid.

They kept losing and losing and never got cut.

They cared about the Japanese market at one point.

Just look at how many chances they gave Gomi, Akiyama and Kid.

They kept losing and losing and never got cut.

UFC's relationship with the Japanese market resembles Microsoft's relationship with the Japanese console gaming market.

They really tried to break in with XBox 360 but when that failed they said fuck it with XBox One.

They are cheapskates they won't, they let great talent let Gegard and Rory go too

Rory couldn’t even walk out of the cage when he won his first belt and panic wrestled the whole fight. Also broke his nose again. He should retire

All-time rankings doesn't mean shit. Ali would be ranked top 10 boxer all time, yet the average Sherdogger could have beaten his ass easily in 2010. What matters is the ranking when the fight took place. This is what Ian McCall's record looked like leading up to the Gucci bout:

G88tJoo.jpg

And he's ranked well outside the top 150 in his division when he fought Gucci on both Tapology (#173) and Fight Matrix (#318, their mathematical formula has built in ranking decay that penalizes heavily against inactivity). It's a completely meaningless win for a top 10 fighter.

lol everyone knows about Ian McCall's downfall. I just found it funny they ranked him so highly on their all time list.

Last edited:
lol everyone knows about Ian McCall's downfall. I just found it funny they ranked him so highly on their all time list.

He's beaten some legit competition during his run, pretty sure he ranked inside top 10 at both BW and FLW, probably close to no.1 FLW at one point, at the time he fought Gucci though he was nothing.

He's beaten some legit competition during his run, pretty sure he ranked inside top 10 at both BW and FLW, probably close to no.1 FLW at one point, at the time he fought Gucci though he was nothing.
Look we have different opinions on what a can is, that's all.

Did you see any of those bouts btw? Like Horiguchi vs. Ogikubo 2 or Horiguchi vs. Kape?

Last edited:
Look we have different opinions on what a can is, that's all.

Did you see any of those bouts btw? Like Horiguchi vs. Ogikubo 2 or Horiguchi vs. Kape?

Yes I believe Gucci will be no.1 FLW eventually and I follow his career closely.

I also don't put any stock in random personal opinions I go by Tapology and Fight Matrix rankings. Especially Fight Matrix since it's 100% math formula.

Yes I believe Gucci will be no.1 FLW eventually and I follow his career closely.

I also don't put any stock in random personal opinions I go by Tapology and Fight Matrix rankings. Especially Fight Matrix since it's 100% math formula.
You can go by your math formula, I would just suggest you question some of it. For example Ogikubo being ranked #83 after having just beat Pantoja #10. Don't you wonder why?

Last edited:
You can go by your math formula, I would just suggest you question some of it. For example Ogikubo being ranked #83 after having just beat Pantoja #10. Don't you wonder why?

It's not my math formula, it's the formula used by one of the two comprehensive ranking databases out there. If you're not happy with it, create your own comprehensive ranking system, I'm not going to waste time arguing random personal opinions on whether a fighter ranked out of the top 50 should be #76 or #66, because I don't have the time to comprehensively analyze hundreds of FLW and BW and see who should be ranked where, Tapology and Fight Matrix do that for me already.

We weren't arguing. And look, by questioning the Hiromasa/Pantoja situation, by not blindly accepting it, I was able to learn something, which is that Tapology is not a math formula. All Tapology does is take the opinion of its site members and create a consensus ranking based on that. Plus any Tapology user may create and submit their own ranking list, so while you're here saying that you don't put any stock in random personal opinions, you've been doing just exactly that for years.

Like I said, create your own comprehensive rankings database or point me to one that's not Tapology or Fight Matrix. Neither ranking system has any of those 4 ranked in the top 50, and both have Gucci ranked in the top 10. He's an elite fighter crushing cans in Japan.

Re-sign him so Shertards in the heavies can shit on another talented “manlet”?

<36>

Tapology rankings are garbage. Based on every members rankings, much like the ufc uses a formula based on those journalists rankings. Most members never update their rankings.

Back